Orca attack

KeithMD

Visit site
Sorry if I'm late to this thread, and haven't been through all 61 pages.
But has anyone come up with a convincing reason why this is happening?

KeithMD

Visit site
Perhaps it's one of these things that's always happened. But only now are more people are aware of it.
In previous generations, with fewer AWB pleasure craft, and bigger craft being the norm, it would have been unusual.
But now, with more vunerable pleasure craft crossing the "target" areas, and better instant communication, there are more reports to tell the tale.
Perhaps?

Laser310

Visit site
Perhaps it's one of these things that's always happened. But only now are more people are aware of it.
In previous generations, with fewer AWB pleasure craft, and bigger craft being the norm, it would have been unusual.
But now, with more vunerable pleasure craft crossing the "target" areas, and better instant communication, there are more reports to tell the tale.
Perhaps?

i don't think so...

this is pretty new.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Well, that's kind of my point - how do we know it's new?

Millions of boats have sailed for years (including myself) in waters surrounded by orcas, who have all shown no interest in yachts whatsoever.

But a number of years ago, these attacks on yachts along the Iberian coast suddenly started.
It's not as if yachts were a new thing to the area . . . or that their numbers had suddenly increased . . . or we had only just had communication with these remote peoples, or that . . .

GHA

Visit site
Sorry if I'm late to this thread, and haven't been through all 61 pages.
But has anyone come up with a convincing reason why this is happening?
Trying to guess what highly intelligent animals are thinking......no one knows. Could be training the teenagers to hunt whales by nibbling fins. Total guess that one..
One thing seem pretty sure, if they wanted to aggressively damage sailing boats for some reason there would be an awful lot of sunk boats by now... these things are incredible, if they didn´t like you & wanted to trash your boat they would >

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Orcas are at the top of the marine food chain, they are intelligent and aggressive predators. There are accounts of them attacking and even sinking yachts in other places off the coast of Seattle and elsewhere in the pacific (Cornish family was sunk by killer whales and stranded in dinghy) with attacks going back decades. however the most numerous attacks are off the Spanish and Portuguese coasts over the last 3 years and no obvious reason has been given. It seemed to start with about 3 but has grown in numbers and just how many of the Orca population of these waters are involved is not clear but has clearly increased. I doubt that it is anything to do with increased traffic though. If anything imo it is likely to do with a learned behaviour that started out from their aggressive nature simply attacking anything that came within their presence and it has now become habitual. It is unlikely that they confuse a yachts rudder with any marine animal or food source they are too intelligent for that and must know what is food and what is not, what is a marine animal, whale or shark and what is a vessel. It's simply aggressive behaviour perhaps designed to reinforce their presence.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Well, that's kind of my point - how do we know it's new?
I agree with Motor Sailer. I planned a trip 2010 and then sailed up and down between Coruna and Vigo from 2012 - 2014 and Orca attacks weren't considered a problem. I sailed on into the Med. and kept contact with people we met when sailing the Atlantic coast. No mention of issues with any Orca until a few years ago when it seemed to start suddenly. A huge number of people sailed all around this area for many, many years. Not a peep from local sailors, coastal passage makers or people transiting off-shore at that time.

Boathook

Visit site
The latest BBC TV series The Wild Isles showed the Orcas hunting seals around Shetland. They went up really small gulley's in stealth mode to catch out the seals. It seems both species adjust to survive.
Now wondering when the rudder nibbling will reach these orca's.
Beautiful filming using drone and underwater shots.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In the event that I ever find myself sailing in those waters again I think I would make up a few small Siene nets and try to drop them over incoming Orcas to dissuade them and the others from attacking.

GHA

Visit site
If they bit the leg off a yachtsman might get the green light to cull
Why? Go into the Serengeti in a plastic camper van & get nibbled by a lion no one in authority will get a gun & start shooting. Go out into the ocean on a floating bit of plastic you're going into the wilderness.

But humans are such aggressive selfish destructive animals, so the forum calls of "kill them!" will no doubt continue...

Wansworth

Visit site
Why? Go into the Serengeti in a plastic camper van & get nibbled by a lion no one in authority will get a gun & start shooting. Go out into the ocean on a floating bit of plastic you're going into the wilderness.

But humans are such aggressive selfish destructive animals, so the forum calls of "kill them!" will no doubt continue...
yes your right of course in the overall view but if I had a boat and wanted to sail out round the Islas Cies on a Sunday afternoon I risk notcoming back😏