Open can

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Trying to connect an external GPS to my lap top .

plug in to a USB port ,
go to device manager and click on on com , it shows it’s connected to com 4 band 4800 .

open cpin go to setting , connections add connection to com 4 band 4800 Apply

click on show NEMA debug window and it shows com 4 and the signal being received but the boat on the chart is still grey out and top right hand it show no GPS signal .

what am I missing ?
thanks

Pye_End

Visit site
IMPORTANT:
1. You must change the default rate setting of your mapping software ‘s Baud Rate to 4800 if this is not currently
set as such otherwise GPS data cannot be received.
2. Set Baud Rate 4800, Data Bit: 8, Parity: None, Stop Bit: 1, Flow Control: None

Pye_End

Visit site
My old GPS button stopped working with a Windows upgrade. Think it was Win7 to 10. Can't remember which button it was though.

Also, have you left it on for 15 minutes+? Might be greyed out as it is still doing it's stuff?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
IMPORTANT:
1. You must change the default rate setting of your mapping software ‘s Baud Rate to 4800 if this is not currently
set as such otherwise GPS data cannot be received.
2. Set Baud Rate 4800, Data Bit: 8, Parity: None, Stop Bit: 1, Flow Control: None
Thanks just checked all them and there as you said .

RobbieW

Visit site
If you havent used it for a while, you may be being bitten by a driver update. Many GPS pucks use the same chip, originally made by one company but widely copied. They got fed up with the copies and put a check into the driver so non-genuine GPSs would no longer work, I believe this driver is the default on Win 10 and later.

RobbieW

Visit site
Try this driver, https://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41. If that doesnt work, it could be a fake chip or not based on the PL2303 (but many were)
Having a bit more research (to remind myself what I'm talking about), the PL2303 chip is the gizmo that links the TTL output of GPS chips to the USB protocol needed for PCs etc. Many GPS pucks use the Prolific chipset for this purpose but changes in Windows mean older ones may no longer work, in addition to the fake chips. Further down the page linked above is a version check tool that should give some idea of the age of the chip and whether its likely to work with current versions of Windows.

Refueler

Visit site
As posted in your other AIS thread ...

Get yourself a plexor like the NMEA4WiFi and it will not only sort this matter of GPS to OpenCPN ... but also the AIS feed ....

Will allow you to expand as well to tablets / your phone ... guests ..... etc.

Nmea4Wifi - Introduction

Note - it says top cover cannot be put when using USB .... I just took clippers and snipped out a little bit of the case to allow USB to connect and still have case.

st599

Visit site
If you can see NMEA sentences in the debug window, can you see any starting $GPGLL, $GNGLL, $GPGGA or $GNGGA?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Guys thanks for the help ,
it has to be the dongle as I plug another gps in and it works
st599
I was getting a nema sentences but it still wasn’t showing on the chart .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As posted in your other AIS thread ...

Get yourself a plexor like the NMEA4WiFi and it will not only sort this matter of GPS to OpenCPN ... but also the AIS feed ....

Will allow you to expand as well to tablets / your phone ... guests ..... etc.

Nmea4Wifi - Introduction

Note - it says top cover cannot be put when using USB .... I just took clippers and snipped out a little bit of the case to allow USB to connect and still have case.
Chatting to someone at the marina and he said just a cheap usb Wi-Fi box will work find .