Oostende in May

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
All,

Following on from Nigel Luthers efforts to arrange a get together for the Solent crowd in the spring next year, anyone up for an Oostende trip the second May Bank Holiday weekend of 27th/28th/29th May?

Its end of term school holidays, so we'll probably extend it into a week long cruise, if anyone else is up for it?

G

Re: Oostende in May......

That's smack on top of the Yarmouth one that we have planned and started ...

Phoenix of Hamble

[ QUOTE ]
NAS, was talking to Yanita at the boat show, we should meet for those interested to work out an itinerary and days for the extended bit. Got any suggestions for date and venue? Ipswich area maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok... following a suggestion from JimDew, a meet up to discuss an intenary...

Suggest Sat 18th Feb, 19h00 at the Lord Nelson, Ipswich?

For what its worth, we had a little look and this was our initial thoughts.... (given that we want to give the kids a chance to explore a little...)

Friday night/Saturday day - East coast to Oostende
Sunday - in Oostende
Monday - Oostende to Vlissingen
Tuesday - Into the Walcheren canal to Middelburg
Wednesday - day in Middelburg
Thursday - Middleburg through VersMeer/Westerschelde to Goes
Friday - Goes to Roompot
Saturday - Day in Roompot (perhaps the exhibition centre which is meant to be very good)
Saturday night/Sunday - back to East Coast

But very open to suggestions from those who know the area.....

FullCircle

Visit site
Yep, saturday the 18th will do it.
Shall I bring almanac and charts, or just let NAS impress us with a laptop?

Phoenix of Hamble

Hah..... my laptop has a battery life of 2 minutes, so it wouldn't impress you very much..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was going to bring the Netherlands cruising guide, but don't yet have any Belgian/Dutch charts (other than a small scale Nth sea chart), or other kind of pilot, so bring 'em along!

Phoenix of Hamble

For any 'old salts' that would like to do this trip, but find their boat in the wrong place, I have a friend who has recently bought a boat (a Bavaria 34 if that influences your decision) and is keen to do the trip from his base in Ipswich, but feels (probably rightly) that he isn't experienced enough. he would be keen to ship aboard an experienced skipper, plus poss another, to do the trip.....

Let me know via PM if you are interested.... please, experienced folks only...

FullCircle

Visit site
Neil,
I will acquire the Dutch inland charts, but I have the passage planning large charts for East Coast to Belgium/Holland.
Will also use 2004 Reeds, may get a 2006 one cheap though.

I may have the crew/skipper you need for the Bav. Depends if I hear from Beancounter and Mrs B. They have been quiet recently.....

FullCircle

Visit site
Basic things you need to know about boating in the Netherlands

Licenses are not required for boats under 15 meters (49 feet) in length, unless they can exceed 20 mph.

VHF licenses are required, and the exam is only in Dutch but you usually don't need one while inland; it's illegal to carry one if you do not have a license, though many locals have one anyway. They will honor foreign licenses.

Bridges open on horn blasts: long, short, long. To pay the toll, put your coins in the wooden shoe tied to a fishing poll that the brugwachter (bridge tender) skillfully swings to you. The amount of the toll is marked on the bridge and is published in the Almanac.

Stay to starboard unless otherwise directed to avoid collision. The markers are identical to other European countries except for occasional oddballs.
Speed limit in the canals is normally six kph (4.5 mph), but nine to 12 kph (seven to nine mph) in the rivers, unless otherwise marked.

The ANWB, a car-and-boat club like the American Automobile Association, produces charts for the inland waterways. It marks lock and bridge dimensions, water depth, moorings, and the all important windmills. The Hydrographer of the Navy produces charts for the Whitens, Ijsselmeer, and Markermeer as well as coastal charts. These are available commercially.

You are required by law to carry Volume 1 of the Wateralmanak. It has all the rules and regulations, is entirely in Dutch, and is about two inches thick. If you're not one of the people in the world who can read Dutch, not to worry—just carry the book on board anyway.

Volume 2 has all the bridge and lock (sluice) opening times, location of marinas, water, toilets,and the like. It is also only in Dutch, but we've learned to read the important things and use it all the time. Don't leave shore without it.

European Waterways: A Manual for First Time Users; Marian Martin, Adlard Coles Nautical, London, is available in the US and it also has all the basic rules and regulations and you don't need to learn Dutch. We found it to be very helpful.

Cruising Guide to the Netherlands: Brian Nevin, Imray Laurie Norie and Wilson, St. Ives, is also available in the US. It offers 21 water tours for those with fixed masts up to 17 meters (55 feet)—yes, sailing is possible in the inland waterways. It contains information on approaches to harbors, places to moor, English-Dutch-German vocabulary lists, and helpful references to charts and tide tables. Our edition is from 1996 and already a revision is needed, but a bookseller told us an update is due out this year. I have just bought this on AMAZON