Ooops. KAMD43P pistons shouldn't look like this

Jegs

Visit site
Re: GRQ.

It may not be relevant, but the handbook with my currently broken TMD41B states: "Check the opening pressure, spray pattern and also check for leakage every 600 hours of operation. Naturally, the previous sentence refers to work by an authorized [sic] dealer.

Good luck,

John G

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Re: GRQ.

Pop testers available cheap enough on ebay

Leave fuel service items to the expert Bosch or said dealer they have all the info at hand , most offer expert advice at reasonable prices , get it wrong and you end up with this post.
I will say I've just sent a set of nozzles in to pump shop at according to owner were fully service two years ago to find nozzle date code was two years prior to boat build of 1987!!! I guess he had a previous lap in of the tips instead of new ones . I never accept lap in repair its not worth it.

tinkicker0

Visit site
You not a fan of jewellers rouge then VP?

Actually I agree with you, 20 years ago I would not have. The focus these days has shifted partially from seating and frictional damping issues to orifice erosion with higher injection pressures.
What was good in those good old days is still valid today, but the relative price of new nozzles these days make it not worth the effort of trying to revive old ones. Of course the consequence of dropping a tip into the cylinder is also a big worry with old injecto nozzles.

I lost count of the number of injectors I tried to revive by relap and reshim to pressure and still got streaky spray patterns.
Last ones you could fairly confidently relap were the old cav with screw and locknut. Once the bosch pencils came out it was really game over due to the time taken shimming to correct pressure and time taking lapping the needles, versus the probability of success and the cost of new nozzles.

Last edited:

DAKA

Visit site
Hi Richard,

I always fill up in Chichester and this is what they say they supply in all their marina's except Falmouth...

"WP Marine's Advanced Marine Diesel 10 is a low sulphur fuel containing 10ppm (parts per million) sulphur. This high quality fuel is recognised as FAME FREE and is guaranteed by Esso to contain less than 1% bio element.

Advanced Marine Diesel 10 also contains Soltron®. Specifically developed to work with marine diesel at a dilution rate 10,000:1, Soltron® contains a blend of 20 naturally occurring enzymes which combine inside the fuel tank to optimise the combustion process and enhance fuel efficiency. Soltron® also provides lubrication in low sulphur marine fuel oil and neutralises bacterial growth from contaminants.

Based at Esso's Fawley Refinery near Southampton, WP Group is the South's leading independent supplier of fuels and lubricants, marketing Esso fuel and Mobil lubricants across a wide portfolio of business sectors and industries. Boat owners travelling abroad should be aware that this fuel may not comply with legislation outside the UK and customers should seek advice from their destination marina before travelling."

So probably the best marine fuel you can buy.
The problem with soltron is that it doesn't get rid of water, it just holds it in suspension within the fuel.

Most filters will spin free water out however suspended water will not be removed.
Suspended water will also pass through cellulose filters which I think wiggos bf500 are.

Now that almost all fuel in the solent area is supplied pre dosed with soltron we need to upgrade to a filter paper that is designed to remove suspended water.

On late starters advice I was able to upgrade my spin on filters at minimal cost to a fleetguard filter which includes strata pore paper instead of cellulose paper.
This is designed to remove suspended water from the fuel.

The filters I upgraded to were fs1000 which cost about £10 - £15 each , I have now upgraded again to the same filter but it includes a water sensor (fs1022

Hope your up and running soon wiggo.