One for the electrical wizards:

doug748

Visit site
I'm having problems with my bow light.

I am measuring 12.5v at the holder, which is managing to just about light the LED bulb - if you look at it very close. This is a 1v drop from the board which needs looking at. Nevertheless, on the bench I have a very weak motorbike battery at 11.7v and it lights the LED fine.
Back on the boat, I have tried two different lamp fittings and three different bulbs but still the same result.

Any suggestions?

William_H

Visit site
It would appear that you have significant resistance in either positive or negative wire btween battery and lamp holder. With bulb removed you should measure same voltage at the holder as at the battery. The volt meter does not draw current so no drop. You can connect a resistor or lamp in parallel to the volt meter leads to emulate the lamp. Typically 40 ohms or so or a small 6watt bulb.
Dim LED lamp means resistance in wiring. If you can get a connection to the wiring somewhere near the bulb holder then run another wire external from battery positive to lamp wire positive you may see a huge improvement in brightness. If not do the same duplicating negative wire. If neither improves brightness then problem must be between the point where you injected temporary power and the lamp. persevere ol'will