Old vs New chain poser?

Seagreen

Visit site
So I'm re-chaining, or thinking of it. I'm replacing old hand forged links which are approx 9mm thick, still servicable but no longer fit the gyspy of the newer capstan, with 8mm new calibrated chain. (I'd like to go 10 mm, but it won't fit the navel pipe without jamming.)
Bearing in mind the boat is about 10 tons, would calibrated 8mm chain be a good swap?

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
Sizing chain depends more on matching it to the anchor. You also need to talk about the strength of the chain, not all is the same. 8 mm G30 or G40?

9 mm is a metric DIN/EN size, you should be able to find it if you really want.

Sequoiah1

Visit site
So I'm re-chaining, or thinking of it. I'm replacing old hand forged links which are approx 9mm thick, still servicable but no longer fit the gyspy of the newer capstan, with 8mm new calibrated chain. (I'd like to go 10 mm, but it won't fit the navel pipe without jamming.)
Bearing in mind the boat is about 10 tons, would calibrated 8mm chain be a good swap?

We have 9mm on our boat which s approx 10 tons, cant imagine you would need any larger than that.

old_salt

Visit site
OK thanks. Given me some food for thought.

Old 9mm, new 8mm, like to go 10 mm.
A comparision of strength would be worth investergating from you chain suplyer/ manufacture.
Without having all the details.
Would fitting a larger navel pipe be completely out of the question.
Peace of mind and all that in a tricky situation.

Last edited:

Seagreen

Visit site
Actually a new navel pipe would not really be too much of a hassle. Making a liner for it might be a bit tough. Examining the old pipe (a copper sleeve) shows that some dents in it are causing the blockage so it might be easiest just smoothing these out. how you remove dents into a pipe thats stuck in a deck is another problem. All suggestions welcome.