old unwanted boats

Birdseye

Visit site
How does your club deal with them? We have just crushed 8, and there still are numbers of old bangers in the compound that people cant sell / wont sell but are still paying for.

It would seem that the original old GRP boats are almost unsaleable

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
True enough. In the US they get smashed.

The truth is that it's cheaper to buy a used boat in sailable condition than to restore a neglected, out-of-date boat. This is true of most goods at some point. Because unlike an automobile, little of the boat has recycle value the boat has a negative value. The wrecker will remove a few things, depending on the cost to remove vs. re-sale value, and rest goes away. Mostly worn-out pulley aren't worth anything to most people. The lead and the alloy mast are worth something but take time to remove. Fuel tanks must come out, and that is pure cost.

Really, only a few metals and a few plastics are economically recyclable. The rest is a mixed up mess of trash, not worth separating.

The best we can do is take good care and stretch boat life as far as economical. Then palm it off on someone before it's trash!

ash2020

Visit site
How does your club deal with them? We have just crushed 8, and there still are numbers of old bangers in the compound that people cant sell / wont sell but are still paying for.

It would seem that the original old GRP boats are almost unsaleable
I just came across this website, who dispose of old boats where possible. Some of them are half decent.
Prelude 19

jamie N

Visit site
Do the hulls actually deteriorate? If they don't then taking a hull, fitting a mast/rigging/engine/interior/sails and so on really makes it quite expensive to get a 50 year old boat up and running, which then (logically) means that a 'new' boat is cheaper than an old one, that's been rescued.
There will possibly be a 'Venn Diagram', or algorithm concerning costs of boat ownership, and choice of boat, which I hope never to encounter!!!

Rappey

Visit site
would seem that the original old GRP boats are almost unsaleable
I have sold boats for a token fee that should have been broken up a long time ago.
There are a lot of people that just like to tinker with them.
Its also wrong to assume that just because a boat is old then everything on it is old and worn out.
If it has sails, inboard or outboard, the fixtures and fittings are there and its in reasonable condition it can be sold.

Refueler

Visit site
I have sold boats for a token fee that should have been broken up a long time ago.
There are a lot of people that just like to tinker with them.
Its also wrong to assume that just because a boat is old then everything on it is old and worn out.
If it has sails, inboard or outboard, the fixtures and fittings are there and its in reasonable condition it can be sold.

What usually causes old boat to not sell - are the photos of green mould and crap all over them from standing.

An hour with a pressure washer to at least make photo look a bit better can do wonders ..

Rappey

Visit site
Currently i have a Glen 25, this one is causing a problem as it recently broke adrift and trashed one side of the hull. Has running gm1 and some nice gear. Struggling to sell for £100. Have a really nice centaur, fully rebuilt yanmar engine, just need wiring up. A lovely snapdragon, nice inside, need a hammer and chisel to clean outside and a tomahawk 25, no engine but everything else is there. Has a very nice outboard bracket !
Is nice to give these boats more life as opposed to scraping them with the costs involved

Refueler

Visit site
Currently i have a Glen 25, this one is causing a problem as it recently broke adrift and trashed one side of the hull. Has running gm1 and some nice gear. Struggling to sell for £100. Have a really nice centaur, fully rebuilt yanmar engine, just need wiring up. A lovely snapdragon, nice inside, need a hammer and chisel to clean outside and a tomahawk 25, no engine but everything else is there. Has a very nice outboard bracket !
Is nice to give these boats more life as opposed to scraping them with the costs involved

Its nice to see old boats used ... so much doom and gloom spread about regarding need to replace this - that and all ... when in fact many could go on for years with the gear ... not everyone is looking for 'perfection' ...

Rappey

Visit site
People tend to not think about the reality that a 50 year old boat through its many owners has probably had a lot of its equipment replaced/upgraded and added to.
Ive literally just sold the troublesome glen 25 so I'm a happy camper :D as it now frees up the mooring so i can bring the next boat in to clean up and sell.
Ive kept the sails as they are brand new , never even been put up..
Some of these unwanted, unpaid and abandoned boats are full up of valuable equipment. The glen had 2 fairly new autopilots, ais tranceiver, beautiful dsc radio, new still boxed windows and hatches etc...
Not all old boats are good though but always managed to sell them within a few weeks. Never yet had to chop one up.
Solent location helps as lots of places to keep a boat and lots of potential customers..

Alicatt

Visit site
My boat at 45 years old is not the oldest in the club, Alice has that distinction at over 90 years old Alice was built in the UK in 1919 and has spent a good bit of her life in Belgium, now she is having a complete overhaul and is being monitored by the Historic Ships Commission to make sure that the renovation is being done in a traditional way and in keeping with the age of the boat.

Alice is the one to the left of the picture
_DSC8235Mod1.JPG
This was taken the same day we bought Casper