Old dried out antifouling

TonyMills

Visit site
Hi

I have a trailable motor sailor normally kept at home. I am considering putting it into a pen at a local yacht club on the Swan River (WAust), (a tidal estuary). The boat has was last anti fouled about 7 years ago and remained out of the water for about five years until I bought it two years ago. Since then I have done several short cruises but never in the water for longer than five days at a time.

The anti-fouling paint is now patchy but still well attached. If I put it into a pen mooring I will need a good antifouling finish.

I'd appreciate advice on whether or not the existing (old) AF can be painted over after wet and dry sanding or whether it needs to be removed completely?

Removing it completely will be a difficult job. If it is necessary any advice on the best way to approach it would be appreciated.

Regards
TonyM

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Funny you should ask this cos today I got a quote to have my 32' motorboat slurry blasted to remove all anti foul. £290 and worth every penny. Tried sanding it a few years ago and never again, dirty, tiring and respirator needed. Days later still only a few coats off.

richardm

Visit site
I can think of two possibilities: go and see Trevor or Roger at Yacht Grot(Fremantle), there is an antifoul remover similar to a paint remover or: take your yacht to Fremantle Boat Lifters(not sure if this is the exact name) on Mews road just this side of Ciccarellos. They have a powerful water blaster that should remove the old stuff at a minimal cost and little effort on your part