Oil Leak, what should i do ?

oakleyb

Visit site
Would you believe it, new Beta engine which they married my old saildrive to. Launched and then had oil leak. Suspect seal in gearbox. I have a test sheet from beta that states that the gearbox passed its test. what should i do /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JasB

Visit site
It's a plague, I tell you!
I went down to the money-sponge this morning to remove my engine (see an earlier post) so I can repair my gearbox seal. I was hoping for some sympathy, but the only other fella on the pontoon has a gallon of engine oil in his bilge after a fateful motor to felixstowe and a sail back.
Why is everyones engine going t*ts up at the moment?

Visit site
I just had the same done by beta.

However if I you have it matched to an old sail drive then surely the gearbox is in the saildrive - i.e. your old bit. Beta were quite clear with me that their warranty wouldn't include the saildrive as they hadn't supplied it - seemed fair to me.

All they did for me was add their adapter drive plate to the saildrive so that it matched the engine. There is no seal between this and the engine.

You don't say how you identified the source of the leak - but assume if its from the saildrive leg that its the oil level is dropping in the saildrive - not the engine dipstick.

I actually have a very slight oil drip from the oild pump out on the engine - only needs tightening I suspect - but decided to leave it until I do an oil change. I'd certainly suggest you double check where the leak is from

Good luck

Visit site
Ah - sorry - see from your previous post that you have oil on your saildrive seal.

If that happened to me I think it would have to be coming from the saildrive I fear due to the layout of the engine. Are you losing enough to see a change on the dipstick ? I had this in the past by overfilling the saildrive - but I assume you have ruled this out ?

Oil can track round the engine very invisibly though - so I would still double / triple check - obviously if you can see the drop on the dipstick that would clinch it !

huldah

Visit site
JasB

Yep, it's not just oil, my tank tap has broken, dumping all the fuel in the bilges. The wood is going to stink for a very long time!

Philip