Oh dear, Nautical has fallen in love.....

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
I spotted this by accident and had to do a serious double take at the price. This Malahide trawler (built in my home town) has had a gargantuan amount of restoration work done, I was told running into many 100's of $1,000's. She is even kept indoors in her own boat house.

OK , I know she would need a goodly amount of upkeep, but, OMG what a bargain !!.

http://uk.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/Malahide-North-Sea-Trawler-1806302/United-States

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Mike, as much as pains me to say so, if I had the time (a lot of it) spare and money was no object to maintaining her, I would probably say yes I would take her instead of an ORY 63 or any boat for that matter.

Reality as it is though and I wanted to do long distance cruising but didn't have the extra time above what I have it would be the ORY 63 .

Kawasaki

Visit site
Mike, as much as pains me to say so, if I had the time (a lot of it) spare and money was no object to maintaining her, I would probably say yes I would take her instead of an ORY 63 or any boat for that matter.

Reality as it is though and I wanted to do long distance cruising but didn't have the extra time above what I have it would be the ORY 63 .

Ah but, the reality is yer in Love
Logic and reason therefore, go out the window;)

MapisM

Visit site
Stunning vessel indeed.
And it's easy to see where the money spent in restoration went!
There's just one thing I can't get my head around: the varnished deck.
That's a sort of sacrilege in my books, but must admit that I'm no expert at all on Malahide.
Maybe that's how they were originally built?
1806302_16.jpg

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Hi Trevor. Malahides are simply gorgeous and this is one beautiful vessel. The owner must have had a limitless budget to bring her to this level of fit and look. I would love her!

This issue would be there's no way I could afford her upkeep. The sheer quantity of varnishing would require at least one staff member!

What a labour of love.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Ooh, I hope the bigwigs at 0 R in the US of A are not reading this:)
Out of interest, why would the Malahide be so expensive to maintain? Obviously there is the maintenance of all that woodwork but hasn't the boat been restored to a level such that any future maintenance is just preventative? I know there's a lot of work in that but what are we talking about, a couple of hundred labour hours a year or would it be more? And you could cut that by ditching the varnished teak decks which, as Mapism says, is cultural vandalism! Looking at the spec, a lot of the oily bits and other systems are new so other maintenance costs wouldn't be any higher than any other grp boat. Or am I missing something here?
She sure is a beauty though and I can well understand why she could turn a man's head!

ccscott49

Visit site
Have to agree with the varnished deck comments, but maintenace would still be high without them. You wiuld need a crew, to keep up with her. But I'm not so sure she is that much of a bargain to be honest.
Was the hull refastened? because malahide used galvanised dumps in their hulls.

stuartw

Visit site
Thumbs up for varnished deck

And you could cut that by ditching the varnished teak decks which, as Mapism says, is cultural vandalism!

A stunning boat, made all the more by that varnished deck. I have never understood this appeal of silver/grey of teak decks. I thought only yotties liked that. So it is quite dissapointing to find the MB fraternity thinking the same.

Think how out of place a none treated deck would look against all that beautiful varnished mahogany. It is no different from some of the lovely launches you see on the Thames.

I have to agree with all the other comments. It's a fantastic restoration. I would much prefer that over some of the more modern trawler yachts.

The history of the Malahide yards makes very interesting reading. And they are made in quite a few countries.

http://www.classictrawlers.net/malahide/

Stuart

MapisM

Visit site
Think how out of place a none treated deck would look against all that beautiful varnished mahogany.
It is no different from some of the lovely launches you see on the Thames.
Oh yes, it is very different indeed!
The deck of those launches, similarly to other smallish boats like the Riva Aquarama just to name one of the most famous, are not meant to walk on them.
I have two simple words for anyone who would like to try walking while under way on varnished wood when wet: good luck.
Besides, the above boats don't stay under the sun and rain 24/7, as normally the bigger ones do.
Last but not least, I don't think that the deck below is completely "out of place" on a MoBo.
But I'm biased, of course... :)
Glad to hear different views!
Winch.jpg

Last edited:

stuartw

Visit site
Oh yes, it is very different indeed!
The deck of those launches, similarly to other smallish boats like the Riva Aquarama just to name one of the most famous, are not meant to walk on them.
I have two simple words for anyone who would like to try walking while under way on varnished wood when wet: good luck.
Besides, the above boats don't stay under the sun and rain 24/7, as normally the bigger ones do.
Last but not least, I don't think that the deck below is completely "out of place" on a MoBo.
But I'm biased, of course... :)
Glad to hear different views!
Winch.jpg

Nice as that photo is, unless I am very much mistaken, it's not teak, and has not been varnished, it's been stained & sealed. Which just goes to prove, you do not like the weathered look either. BTW is it yours?

I will agree that a highly varnished finish would be slippery in the wet. But it is possible to make it anti slip.

I think you would agree though, the Malahide would look terrible with a grey deck?

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Not sure why some people have such an aversion to varnished decks, personally I think it looks (in this instance ) very good and compliments the rest of the joinery. The varnish is not your average high gloss stuff, I can't remember what its called but have used it on staircases etc and although looks very glossy actually offers quite good grip.

As far as maintenance goes, I guess the theory that you are only looking after the paint not the wood now that it is to such a fantastic finish is fair enough. However, in my experience its never that simple. You have to jump on any scratches or dinks hot poop or before you know it the moisture is working its way in. All the varnish needs doing once a year if you want to keep it in tip top. Secondly there is alot of brass work even down to the door knobs and hinges which has to be kept polished. All in all you need (as I believe this guy has) a full time mate and at least a fair budget for haul out and spruce up every season.

Nevertheless, she is one fine vessel and has many tens' of thousands of miles under her keel, she is probably only half way through her life cycle and in reality could be kept afloat and operational for 100+ years. There are few (probably none) GRP vessels that could cut the mustard that long in service. Secondly those that have sailed on a heavy displacement yacht built of such massive scantlings will know what it feels like under way and at rest, you can't put your finger on it she just feels massively safe and solid but there is also a warmth to her, almost a 'personality' of her own, you feel her under you ( :) ) . Put your hand on her ribs or planking and she almost feels alive......er, better stop that sort of talk, Mrs N is getting jealous , ;-)

stuartw

Visit site
Not sure why some people have such an aversion to varnished decks, personally I think it looks (in this instance ) very good and compliments the rest of the joinery. The varnish is not your average high gloss stuff, I can't remember what its called but have used it on staircases etc and although looks very glossy actually offers quite good grip.

As far as maintenance goes, I guess the theory that you are only looking after the paint not the wood now that it is to such a fantastic finish is fair enough. However, in my experience its never that simple. You have to jump on any scratches or dinks hot poop or before you know it the moisture is working its way in. All the varnish needs doing once a year if you want to keep it in tip top. Secondly there is alot of brass work even down to the door knobs and hinges which has to be kept polished. All in all you need (as I believe this guy has) a full time mate and at least a fair budget for haul out and spruce up every season.

Nevertheless, she is one fine vessel and has many tens' of thousands of miles under her keel, she is probably only half way through her life cycle and in reality could be kept afloat and operational for 100+ years. There are few (probably none) GRP vessels that could cut the mustard that long in service. Secondly those that have sailed on a heavy displacement yacht built of such massive scantlings will know what it feels like under way and at rest, you can't put your finger on it she just feels massively safe and solid but there is also a warmth to her, almost a 'personality' of her own, you feel her under you ( :) ) . Put your hand on her ribs or planking and she almost feels alive......er, better stop that sort of talk, Mrs N is getting jealous , ;-)

Here here! I thought for a brief moment I might be a lone voice as regards the varnished decks.
I wonder what 'MapisM' is going to say? - can't wait!

Stuart

MapisM

Visit site
Nice as that photo is, unless I am very much mistaken, it's not teak, and has not been varnished, it's been stained & sealed. Which just goes to prove, you do not like the weathered look either. BTW is it yours?

I will agree that a highly varnished finish would be slippery in the wet. But it is possible to make it anti slip.

I think you would agree though, the Malahide would look terrible with a grey deck?
Yep, mine she is. And teak it is as well. The deck, I mean - frames are oak and planks iroko.
And it's also untreated. In fact, it's not as nice as in this pic normally. The pic was taken just after a refresh of the varnished parts and a deck cleaning.

Re. the Malahide, actually I never said that varnished wood isn't aesthetically nice. What could be said from this viewpoint is that she could have been even nicer (imho) with also the frames varnished, as in my boat.
Anyway, what I was arguing about is the functionality of large varnished surfaces, which (among other considerations) are bound to flex constantly.
And not just for decks btw: also completely varnished hulls can be stunning, as probably in the lauches you were talking about, or in the old wooden Rivas.
But in a boat supposed to stay outside 24/7, possibly in very sunny places, keeping those surfaces in perfect shape is a nightmare.
Nothing that money can't take care of, obviously. But since I don't belong to the club of those boaters with unlimited budget, I tend to follow the school of thinking that form follows function, if you see what I mean... :D
In fact, I actually considered to leave even the varnished parts in the above pic as raw wood, but I was recommended to keep at least iroko parts either painted or varnished, because it's prone to cracking when untreated.