Ocean Going Barges?

mainplus

Visit site
My son-in-law, who is a very capable inland boat builder is thinking about building a barge and sailing it around the Med to Greece. As a yachtie this fills me with concern as I can't see how a boat, heavy as it might be (possibly 55ft x 11ft steel hulled), with a shallow draft for canal use will stand up to open seas.

Am I worrying unduly?
Are there ocean going barges regularly sailing the high seas?
Are there problems with VAT when a home build enters another EEC country?
Has anyone else sailed something similar?

Any help, comments etc would be most welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
<font color=blue>Some guys about 2 years ago sailed/motored a narrow boat !across the North Atlantic from Newfoundland to Ireland !!! They have since gone on with their narrow boat into the European canals.

It should feature in a "strange but true" article.

I have a link to it somewhere but I think its on one of the other computers. I'll have a look and see if I can dig it out.

So..... it is possible. But I wouldn't try it myself.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.begleys.com/weather.htm>Useful links for Irish waters.</A>

dickh

Visit site
I looked briefly at the Aluminium canal boats that were being shown at the SBS - apparently certified to RCD 'C' which if I remember is up to Force 6....... So it is possible as long as you choose your weather carefully.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

deborahann

Visit site
the narrow boat mentioned that has done the Atlantic is probably a boat called progress, his antic's are well documented in the magazine waterways world, he has made quite a name for himself in taking narrow boats where they shouldn't go.

Having had a number of narrow boats on rivers etc., I now have a dutch barge. in my opionion having also done some proper sea boating recently, you need a proper sea boat for, well, sea boating. Anything with out a draft or doesn't plane is only going to cope with excellent weather. You can take a floating bath out on a good day, but its when the weather changes, & even in the med. that happens frequently.

<hr width=100% size=1>deborah on delft.
Nothing to do with Mucky Farter or hlb in drag

deborahann

Visit site
well its horses for courses, of course there is a certain element of travelling in style, or being a truly sea "workhorse" ha ha

<hr width=100% size=1>deborah on delft.
Nothing to do with Mucky Farter or hlb in drag

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Points raised elsewhere vary valid. I boat in the med and have been in some fairly heavy seas, often around Gib where you get the Atlantic tide meeting the outgoing stream, throw in some wind and it get very interesting.

I do it in a deep V planning boat, but would not fancy it in an underpowered draftless, narrow beamed vessel. It would be rolling like a pig.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>