Nuclear War-Semi serious posting

halb

Visit site
Don't really know how to contribute to this thread, but my boat is on the Tamar one of the principal targets in an all out war, so it would be 'goodbye cruel world, at least the four minute warning would give time for a ?

laika

Visit site
As I think I've mentioned in previous posts, it's mainly the zombie apocalypse I worry about but the boat is kept stocked with a few weeks' worth of quite dull dried and tinned food. If nothing else I like the idea that I could, if necessary, just go. It's quite comforting.

Fukushima should have taught us that if you want one of those little usb geiger counters to plug into a raspberry pi you should order one now, before everyone else wants one. Never seen an NMEA-0183 sentence for radiation but I'm guessing you'd be wanting to send your millisievert readings in an XDR sentence.

FurryWritingDesk

Visit site
Zombie Apocalypse

If you'd like to read a novel (ok, that might be overstating it; let's go for "fictional take on" and be nice to everyone) about the thought of using a yacht to get out of trouble in a zombie apocalypse, try "for those in peril on the sea" by Colin M. Drysdale.

Actually a lot better than it sounds... And it does sound awful. Ok, maybe not "a lot", but definitely, "better than it sounds".

alan_d

Visit site
Reminds me of a television interview during the Cold War period, 1960 something. The interviewer asked a flat capped eighty year old "what would you do if the three minute warning was announced?" He curled his lip and replied "go and see the redhead next door" :)

Another reported interview (which may be apocryphal) had the proud owner showing off the contents of his underground H-bomb shelter, including a freezer full of frozen food.
INTERVIEWER: "But what if the electricity goes off?"
REPLY: "It's OK, we're insured."

Stemar

Visit site
As far as I can see, the main advantage of being on the boat is that Gosport's likely to be close enough to ground zero for at least one big bang that I wouldn't have time to know what happened.

OTOH, living in the suburbs of London, being at home wouldn't be too bad either. The civil defence stuff I did 40 years ago suggested that London was more likely to get a few missiles scattered round at North Circular-sh distance than one big one in the middle.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Yerbut The Blitz was all about demoralising civilians in cities by bombing the streets and infrastructure into submission?

Safest place is 'probably' to get elected at gummerment senior level. They must have hundreds of Fray Bentos and DVDs tucked away under the city..

Haven't seen a nuclear sub come up on EBay yet, but there's a thought eh? The ultimate Get-out-of-Dodge mobo. Unlimited hot, cold water and fuel and everyfink too and no need to listen to non existent gale warnings...

Last edited: