now you have suggested remedies for my loo

romany123

Visit site
Also on the boat that I have just bought is a Seldon rodkicker. It seems that it pulls the boom down ok, but should it hold the boom up to replace the topping lift? In which case is it a gas kicker bereft of gas? Having never used one before and have no instructions on its use I would be grateful if anybody can enlighten me.
Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave

dickh

Visit site
Don't know about Seldon, but yes the kicker should push the boom up when the block & tackle is released, thus removing the need for a topping lift. Some have Gas Struts, some have springs. I have a Kemp, when I bought the boat there wasn't a spring inside so got one from Z-Spars and it works a treat. I suspect a gas strut would soon rust away unless you pay a fortune and get a purpose made Stainless Steel one. Speak to Seldon or fit a SS spring - in my opinion a more reliable (and cheaper) solution.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

quaelgeist2

Visit site
The rodkicker aluminium tube should, but need not necessarily contain a gas pressured spring catridge - looks like a shock absorber unit for a car.

Seldén offers three different strengths of springs (aptly named light, medium, heavy) depending on the weight of the boom and sail you need to pick the right one. Mounting them is pretty easy (e.g. compared too fixing a loo ;-) ) and they usually come with an instructing (else you get mine, scanned). Never heard of any failure even after years.

Your Seldén dealer should be able to help with the right choice - my 31footer needed a light one only.

2 notes of caution
It only replaces your topping lift if you change your habits a bit. The spring will not hold the boom up in rough seas - make it a habit of securing the boom with the main halyard (last / first) when hoisting / lowering the main.
Forget everything I said if you have a furling main, in which case you probably need a fixed angle between mast and boom to keep the system working (seen like that on a Bav 320 Holiday)

<hr width=100% size=1>

romany123

Visit site
Thanks to both of you.
Quaelgist do you have the telephone number of Selden? I put out a search on the web but could not find them.
Thanks in anticipation.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave