Notifying Coastguard

sb99

Visit site
Is it common practice for boats using the channel to notify the coastguard of their passage plan?

How much detail would you give them? e.g. Cardiff – Watchet

Would I just notify them of my departure time, expected time of arrival, number of people on board?

The reason I ask is on our last trip 1 boat of the 6 in our party called through and appears to do so on each of his trips.

Once again any info much appreciated.

S

Skyva_2

I would do it for a cross channel or say Falmouth - Scillies

They usually specify what they want eg:
Boat name
Call sign
number on board
destination
ETA
Are you on the CG66 scheme - if not a few more details may be asked for.

sb99

Visit site
I registered a few days ago for CG66 scheme. Still awaiting confirmation e-mail. I'll give a few more days and chase up.

graham

Visit site
Im not knocking the idea but can you imagine the chaos if every boat did this on a busy weekend? Why not leave your details with a reliable person ashore then give them a quick ring on your safe arrival?

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
[ QUOTE ]
Why not leave your details with a reliable person ashore then give them a quick ring on your safe arrival?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good idea, so long as they have your international call sign and passage plan. In fact the CG will not chase you up just because you are late.

But, I find it very reasuring to call in a plan to the CG, but then I often sail one way and am single handed. It is nice know that I will not have to go through too much detail when/if I need to call them with a problem.

I doubt they would struggle with millions of people calling in...

CG "Yacht Whisky Downer, standby, you are turn number two hundred and thirty six."

Just like Christmas Eve at the butchers really. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Our general rule was call routing traffic when either single handed, rough seas, a potential problem with the boat, fog or nightsailing.
Since having baby on board i tend to do routing traffic if we are going more than about 30 miles (really to inform them there is a baby on board incase of problems.)

I just call boat name, from and to, pob, eta & CG66 with Swansea.

Atleast for example if the boat exploded they would have a good idea where to look!

Trouble is with phoning someone on shore is bad mobile signal or change of plan.
Just a thought , i always call on 16 then go to 67. Can i just call for routing traffic on 67 rather than cluttering 16?

Jinks

Visit site
I don't think they monitor 67, just use it a conversation channel to keep 16 clear. I'd be surprised if you got a response.

As part of the radio users course you are taught that you should inform the CG if you are on a passage giving the information detailed above in an earlier post. As with many things common sense is a factor. I wouldn't do it if I was going around Mumbles Head to Oxwich for a picnic but I do if I'm going to Padstow or Milford etc. It can't hurt can it?

graham

Visit site
I do VHF passage plans sometimes with the coast guard usually not.

If you are crossing to Ireland Milford Haven CG sends a fax to the Irish CG who cross you off when you report safe arrival other than that I have heard that non arrival doesnt automatically trigger any action from the CG. If thats true then a friend ashore is going to be more effective should something go wrong.

I lost my phone once and asked swansea CG to pass a message for me explaining why no daily contact.They happily obliged.

Re 16/67 ,you need to either send your initial call to the CG by DSC (they prefer this apparently] or call on 16 then change to 67 on their instructions.

PS spotted Lizzy D heading west past Barry this morning (Lucky Sods /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

DIOGENES

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
PS spotted Lizzy D heading west past Barry this morning (Lucky Sods /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

LIZZYD2.jpg

bluedragon

Visit site
Much as others have said. If it's rough (or likely to be), or dark, then call with a passage plan even if it's just Cardiff to Watchet. Or if going offshore (Ilfracombe to Milford for example). Otherwise I don't bother. I've been told they're quite happy to have even the shortest of passages reported in. If you listen on Ch16 there's often not a lot going on, especially during the week outside of high summer. These calls probably break the monotony of the day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LizzyD

Visit site
Bluedragon

Nantucket Clipper Mk II mate. You can see that I also have the "dirty" version!!

Story to tell. Opening anoither thread.

Cheers,

Lizzy D

bluedragon

Visit site
Designed and built in the days when 30ft was a world-girdling cruiser, not some sub-entry-level daysailer as the industry today would have us all believe!! She'll take you anywhere if the crew can take the punishment... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS - here's the class association if you're interested http://www.oycoa.org.uk/

Mike_S

Visit site
I don't know about notifying the coastguard as I've not yet gone out further than Flat Holm, usually we stay fairly close to the shoreline. I did hear a hell of a lot of 'radio check' calls to Swansea CG on Sunday though, the woman on the other end seemed quite cheery as she directed them all to channel 67.