Notices to Mariners - Week 49

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Temporary/Preliminary
1. Admiralty Charts To Be Published 21 December 2023- New Editions of ADMIRALTY SN Charts -
Chart 1828 - International Chart Series - England - South-East Coast, Dover to North Foreland. 1:37,500 - to include latest information from British Government Surveys.
2. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. - one (tiny) reduction of depth on the northern edge of the Yantlet Channel opposite Cliffe Fleet in the River Thames. Very unlikely to hinder leisure craft.
3. FRANCE - North Coast - Restricted area. - A restricted area of 300m radius has been imposed on the Separation Zone just at the entrance of the West Hinder TSS. This is SW of the Bergues north cardinal buoy. Note that NtM 424(T) earlier this year there was a Virtual AIS waypoint close by.
ENGLAND - East Coast - Drying heights. - One new drying height close by the south side of Whitewall Creek in Upnor Reach, River Medway.
Local
1. THAMES ESTUARY - SUNK PRECAUTIONARY AREA - SUNK INNER LIGHT FLOAT - Latitude 51° 51.170’N., Longitude 001° 34.400’E - Amendment:

The temporary Safe Water Buoy has been removed and the Light Float has been re-established, as follows:
Light: Fl (5) 15s – Nominal Range of 12nm
Hazard Warning Signal: Horn 30s
AIS Transmission: MMSI 992351027 “SUNK INNER”
Racon: Morse “T” X&S Band 10nm 20s ON 40s OFF
Trinity House Notice to Mariners 16/2023, dated 8th June 2023, is hereby cancelled.
2. RIVER THAMES - LONG REACH - VOPAK WALKWAY WORKS - on or about 28th November 2023, contractors instructed by Navigator Terminals will carry out works at Vopak No. 2 Berth. These urgent works are to reinstate a repaired walkway and will involve lifting operations to be carried out by a crane barge. Workboats and safety boats may be in attendance. Works are expected to be completed within 1 day of commencement and will occur between the hours of 0900 and 1700. The general location of the works is shown by the red box on the chartlet. See Page Notices to Mariners) Local List
Requirements to proceed with caution or at slow speed will be made in accordance with the procedures set out in the Port of London Authority’s Port Information Guide, under ‘London VTS’, ‘Section 4’ with the International Code Flags ‘Romeo Yankee (RY)’, which are illustrated below, displayed. The display of these signals will be in addition to any lights, shapes or signals required by local regulations or the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea. Further details will be broadcast as needed by London VTS on VHF channels 68
3. Sheerness Harbour – No.1 Berth - Piling Operations and Associated Works. - a project to remove the existing piles and fenders from Sheerness No.1 berth and then install new berth face piles and associated fendering will be getting underway shortly. The project is expected to commence 27th November 2023 with expected completion by the end of February 2024. New piling will be installed along the entire face of Sheerness No.1 Berth with the majority of work being carried out by the crane barge “GPS Boxer” and work boat “GPS Felucca”. The piles will be brought to site by tug and barge, offloaded and installed as the programme of work dictates. Some diving operations will also be required to clear debris at individual piling positions and to check work as it progresses, diving operations will be carried out from the “GPS Felucca” who will maintain a listening watch on VHF Channel 74 at all times and inform Medway VTS when diving commences and finishes. During critical stages of the works (Diving, Heavy Lift Operations, Men working on the waterline) all passing vessels will be required to pass with caution and reduce their speed and wash accordingly. Vessels arriving and departing on adjacent Sheerness berths are advised to check the status of diving operations prior to manoeuvring.
4. PORT OF GREAT YARMOUTH - Herring Bridge Commencement of Operation - Herring Bridge will be brought into operation for vessel traffic at 0700 hours Monday 27th November 2023. Note: The bridge will remain closed to road traffic. This will affect all vessels who wish to transit from seaward through to the berths to the North of the Herring Bridge and the Norfolk Broads; and in the opposite direction from the Norfolk Broads and berths to the North of the Herring Bridge, through to the South of the new bridge or to sea. Further information on the bridge, Scheme of Operation, opening procedure guidance, bookings and other useful guidance can be found on the Norfolk County Council Website:
https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-an...hird-river-crossing/herring-bridge-operations
A brief overview is provided below;
Herring Bridge will be operated 24hours, 7 days per week, 365 days per year. Bookings must be made by all vessels regardless of size and whether they believe a bridge lift will be required or not.
Timescales for booking;
New Bookings – must be made at least 2 hours in advance of transit time through the bridge, please refer to procedure referred to below to ensure details provided align with requirements.
Booking revisions – booking revisions should be made as soon as possible, but no later than 30 minutes before the original booking time.

That's it

Aquaboy

Visit site
Not sure what to think of the requirement that you have to book before you can transit Herring bridge... I know Yarmonth is not really leisure boat friendly but surely there is navigation rights all the way to Norwich. I understand if a lift is required.

Yorkshire Exile

Visit site
Looking at how close the waiting pontoons are to the bridge and knowing how strong the tides are, it could all be quite exciting if there is any mis-match between time of arrival and the lift!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Not sure what to think of the requirement that you have to book before you can transit Herring bridge... I know Yarmonth is not really leisure boat friendly but surely there is navigation rights all the way to Norwich. I understand if a lift is required.

You already have to book the Haven Bridge and Breydon Bridge lifts.

I assume that you will, in principle, be able to book all three together. Note, though, that only 2 hours notice for the Herring Bridge is a big improvement on the previous working day (i.e excluding weekends and bank holidays), office hours only, notice required for the Haven Bridge (and Breydon?) further upstream. (It would be nice if they changed to the new Herring Bridge regime, but I doubt that will be happen.)

You have to keep an eye on things (as I'm sure the commercial operators within the river port will be while they endure). I happen to know of one UK harbour restricted by a lifting bridge that is required by law to be lifted on demand by virtue of the original Act of Parliament authorising its construction. Over the very many decades since construction its hours of operation have been progressively limited, for the convenience and economy of the operating authority and because of the huge growth in motor traffic crossing the bridge (and almost complete decline of commercial vessel traffic passing it), to the point where openings are very limited, and while there are grumbles about the limited openings, and certainly any reductions in them, few if any users realise that it is supposed to be opened on demand.

Plum

Visit site
My concern was It appears you had to book even if you can fit underneath...,..
Yes, that is frustrating. I have passed under the Haven bridge without it needing to be lifted, I just called them on approach to tell them and they were quite happy so surprised that is not the case for the Herring bridge.

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
I've always just gone under haven as I can do it anything half tide or less and herring is way higher, I may have to try my luck and see how much of a bollocking I get next season, there's no one at haven away from lift times anyway and it's been out of action for ages so always planned for the right tide to pass.

Simi

Visit site
Not only do you have to book for the 3 bridges you now have to pay £20 to transit the river It’s an absolute disgrace it’s been 3 years nearly closed at haven bridge. Peel ports operate haven bridge and I would bet they have been payed whilst it’s been closed now they want to rip us off and give 24hrs notice

snowbird30ds

Visit site
Not only do you have to book for the 3 bridges you now have to pay £20 to transit the river It’s an absolute disgrace it’s been 3 years nearly closed at haven bridge. Peel ports operate haven bridge and I would bet they have been payed whilst it’s been closed now they want to rip us off and give 24hrs notice
Where did you find the £20 bit?

snowbird30ds

Visit site
I just spoke to the bridge operators and they are under the view that if no lift required just let them know by vhf before you get there for general use but a bit more notice while they are working on the bridge.
For the last 3 years I've aimed for half tide or less and just gone under haven bridge and given the port a shout to let them know we are coming through then called again at the lifeboat station for exit clearance and never had an issue, this could be a right pita.