Not your typical chartplotter screen!

MapisM

Visit site
iRKnt5P5_o.jpg

BartW

www.amptec.be
well its the same chartplotter like mine, (Furuno Navnet)
but the map does not look familiar,

and is that the real hight of the surrounding mountains?
must be in a very "deep" cove ?

which boat ?

pics pls,

you know how to pass your time down there , enjoy :encouragement:

MapisM

Visit site
Haha, yeah, that's exactly the same MFD that you've got in BA.

The peaks height all around Doubtful Sound (which is how the place is called) is indeed as reported by the map, which contributes to a rather peculiar and dramatic scenario.

Sorry, I didn't yet arrange my pics and clips, but don't hold your breath anyway, for two reasons:
1) as I get older, I find a bit boring to keep a mindset focused on taking the best possible images, rather than just enjoy the moment.
And this triggers a bit of a vicious circle btw, because as a result the pics are not as good as I wish, so I dedicate to them even less effort, and so on :eek:
2) it is always extremely difficult to transmit with images the sensations that this sort of endless landscapes can offer when you are surrounded by them.
Photos are more effective for showing details rather than landscapes, imho. Then again, I didn't shoot "Moon and Half Dome" - Ansel Adams did!

Anyway, time being, you can see the boat and have an idea of the cruise we made at this webpage.
I will also pick from their website an aerial image of the place, since we only saw it from the water... :)
s4rDD2Ap_o.jpg

MapisM

Visit site
How brilliant! Will you be taking a cruise to the Antarctic?
Naah, the above place is as far South as myself and swmbo will ever cruise, I reckon.
Not because we don't feel the allure of the seventh continent, mind.
But there's a limit to how little we can accept to get, in return for what for us is a substantial amount of money.
I mean, 20+k$ per person for cruising with a Russian ship in basic cabins with a shared head, where 3/4 of the time is spent steaming back and forth in potentially awful seas, and just a few days are left to see the real thing, keeping the fingers crossed for not finding some atrocious weather conditions in such limited timeframe? Seriously?
For us, it's thanks, but no thanks.

Btw, during another trip down under that we made a few years ago, we came across a very nice young couple who spent several full seasons working in McMurdo base, and according to their experience these cruises are nowhere near long enough to just start to become aquainted to the place - let alone putting you in the conditions to really explore/appreciate its peculiarities.
And I tend to believe that they were spot on.

Visit site
Haha, yeah, that's exactly the same MFD that you've got in BA.

The peaks height all around Doubtful Sound (which is how the place is called) is indeed as reported by the map, which contributes to a rather peculiar and dramatic scenario.

Sorry, I didn't yet arrange my pics and clips, but don't hold your breath anyway, for two reasons:
1) as I get older, I find a bit boring to keep a mindset focused on taking the best possible images, rather than just enjoy the moment.
And this triggers a bit of a vicious circle btw, because as a result the pics are not as good as I wish, so I dedicate to them even less effort, and so on :eek:
2) it is always extremely difficult to transmit with images the sensations that this sort of endless landscapes can offer when you are surrounded by them.
Photos are more effective for showing details rather than landscapes, imho. Then again, I didn't shoot "Moon and Half Dome" - Ansel Adams did!

Anyway, time being, you can see the boat and have an idea of the cruise we made at this webpage.
I will also pick from their website an aerial image of the place, since we only saw it from the water... :)
s4rDD2Ap_o.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

It is a beautiful place and impressive when you go out to the sea entrance and learn that Cook named it because it was doubtful to sail in their with the narrow entrance and the prevailing winds meaning you'd need to tack your way back out. The little waterfalls appear after any rain and it rains a lot.

MapisM

Visit site
Indeed.
As I understood from some locals, Fiordland is known as the region where it usually rains twice a week, whereas the rain lasts for 3 days first, and the second time for 4 days... :D
Though we were very lucky instead - must have been the exception that confirms the norm, phew!

In the meantime, I made a video of the experience, inclusive of the somewhat tricky trip required to reach the place - i.e. crossing a large lake at around 180 MASL, then take an unpaved road going up to the 670 MASL of Wilmot Pass, and eventually down to sea level in Doubtful Sound.
Some boating bits are also included, of course.
Apropos, a virtual cigar is up for grabs to whoever will spot a bit of equipment which I'm sure all of us have in our boats, but is instead missing in both the ones in the video!

MapisM

Visit site
Nice try, but no cigar.
I understand why you might have thought that from the video, but actually they did have anchors.
It's much easier than that, anyway - more a matter of noticing/thinking about it than anything else.
And it's related to the helm station, to throw in a big hint! :encouragement:

MapisM

Visit site
Well spotted, we have a winner!
In both boats there's none, and rudders are only joystick controlled instead.
I always thought that it's a very logical setup on boats equipped with power steering, but it's s rare as hens' teeth on pleasure boats.
Old habits die hard, I guess...

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Well spotted, we have a winner!
In both boats there's none, and rudders are only joystick controlled instead.
I always thought that it's a very logical setup on boats equipped with power steering, but it's s rare as hens' teeth on pleasure boats.
Old habits die hard, I guess...

But I don't smoke, so can I have a virtual G&T instead?

AndieMac

Visit site
Great video P, South Island is really spectacular, and thankfully the weather looks like it's playing it's part as well.
Watching the older skipper going astern from his berth, then when your footage panned around to show his view looking aft, there wasn't a lot of clear vision with the aft bulkhead obscuring most of his view. It must be fun when the boat is full and passengers are standing in front of the aft windows, so he can see nothing :rolleyes:
Hope you are both enjoying NZ, I guess you wouldn't be posting videos if you weren't ;)

MapisM

Visit site
Many thanks C, yes, indeed the S island lived up to its reputation also in the most southern part, of which we barely scratched the surface in our previous trip.
Some landscapes reminded us of Tas! Just even more extreme, from unspoilt sea inlets up to alpine glaciers, with everything in between.

And next week we'll fly to Auckland, to reach the last place which we will call home for a while, in Cooks Beach (Coromandel Peninsula).
On paper, that is also an intriguing spot, albeit for different reasons. We'll see... :encouragement:

AndieMac

Visit site
Many thanks C, yes, indeed the S island lived up to its reputation also in the most southern part, of which we barely scratched the surface in our previous trip.
Some landscapes reminded us of Tas! Just even more extreme, from unspoilt sea inlets up to alpine glaciers, with everything in between.

And next week we'll fly to Auckland, to reach the last place which we will call home for a while, in Cooks Beach (Coromandel Peninsula).
On paper, that is also an intriguing spot, albeit for different reasons. We'll see... :encouragement:

I would have thought with you being used to the magnificent scenery of the Lake Como/Northern Italy/Southern Switzerland areas, what we call mountainous would pale to insignificance :)

If you catch up with Summer Wine, please pass on our regards...