? NOT THE WAY TO TREAT YOUR FRIENDS - YOURS Mr DISGUSTED, LAGOS?

Bouba

Visit site
So the BBC are responsible for imposing the 14 day quarantine, first on Portugal and now Spain?

The BBC, not Boris, is running the country - an interesting theory.

That's it I won't renew my TV license - that will teach 'em.
I’m sure I never said that

sailaboutvic

Visit site
What's happening in Spain / Portugal is happening every where , here in France since Early this people had to wear mask in shops . Not likely even some of the till girls their mask was below their chins , since the lock down was lefted people have gone back to normally .
I a man dreading what going to happen this winter and if we are going to be able to travel back to the UK and Holland or if we want to , even thinking of buying a car and driving rather then using Planes .

nortada

Visit site
Regardless of the politics.

Its people who contaminate other people, people who spread this disease.
When I hear of specially arranged covid parties in Lisbon, see large crowds gathering in UK., walk down the road in the evening here in Ferragudo and see dozens of what are mostly Lisbonites having weekend parties in their holiday homes, it comes as no surprise that infection rates are on the rise.
I am now seeing the Portuguese welcome of two kisses begin to resurrect itself at restaurants and cafes. Will people never learn. They obviously haven't lost a loved one yet.

A lot of people are trying to restrict their travel and social contact with others only for it all to be tossed away by idiots.
I'm afraid that the only way this will stop is with "herd immunity" and many more deaths before we get to that point. Whilst vaccines keep getting plugged in the press, none of them are proven and all of them seem to have caveats attached.

Oh so true.

As vaccine is the only long term solution so could you please provide some links that suggest that they all seem to have caveats attached?

On the vaccine front, I thought the future looked bright. If there is long-term hope the self-discipline could survive but if no hope - no self-distancing discipline.

greeny

Visit site
I won't provide links because I don't have any to hand and can't be arsed going searching them out. But if you've read the media, you must have read that none of the vaccines seem to have been proven fully yet or tested fully and it seems they only do parts of what a fully developed vaccine does and potentially will only offer partial protection. I'm no expert and don't intend to get technically into a subject I know little about (unlike others on here).
Suffice to say that we have no proven working vaccine yet. Or have we?

jordanbasset

Visit site
AFAIK the advice from the FCO is DO NOT travel unless it is neccessary.

Holidays, strictly speaking are NOT neccessary.

IMHO, of course.
Government Transport minister, Grant Schapps, had a different interpretation, but perhaps he went to have an eyesight test :D
Transport secretary among Spain holidaymakers forced to quarantine
Mr Shapps is believed to have flown out on Saturday morning when the so-called air bridge with Spain remained open.
However, just hours later, his own department announced the decision to alter its advice to British tourists, meaning they will now have to quarantine for two weeks when they arrive back in the UK.

I wonder if no one bothered to tell the Transport secretary of the imminent change...

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Government Transport minister, Grant Schapps, had a different interpretation, but perhaps he went to have an eyesight test :D
Transport secretary among Spain holidaymakers forced to quarantine
Mr Shapps is believed to have flown out on Saturday morning when the so-called air bridge with Spain remained open.
However, just hours later, his own department announced the decision to alter its advice to British tourists, meaning they will now have to quarantine for two weeks when they arrive back in the UK.

I wonder if no one bothered to tell the Transport secretary of the imminent change...
That has to be the office prank of year award in the bag?

bedouin

Visit site
I won't provide links because I don't have any to hand and can't be arsed going searching them out. But if you've read the media, you must have read that none of the vaccines seem to have been proven fully yet or tested fully and it seems they only do parts of what a fully developed vaccine does and potentially will only offer partial protection. I'm no expert and don't intend to get technically into a subject I know little about (unlike others on here).
You are being a little pessimistic. The disease has only been known about for 6 months and you can't create a vaccine in that time. I think we can be pretty confident there will be a vaccine widely available in a year; and there is a reasonable chance of one by Christmas.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
You are being a little pessimistic. The disease has only been known about for 6 months and you can't create a vaccine in that time. I think we can be pretty confident there will be a vaccine widely available in a year; and there is a reasonable chance of one by Christmas.

Still no vaccine for HIV and that's been around for decades and is still killing tens of thousands every year.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
Still no vaccine for HIV and that's been around for decades and is still killing tens of thousands every year.
Like Bedouin I have no expertise in virology, but I doubt that comparing HIV with COVID (in terms of vaccine development) is helpful. HIV has indeed been around for decades, but the annual death rates in the UK have changed little since 2018; not tens of thousands every year, but around 500. https://assets.publishing.service.g...towards_ending_the_HIV_epidemic_in_the_UK.pdf

From a personal point of view, it might improve communication if people would stop 'SHOUTING' their messages, e.g.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

I fully understand your caution and I like you have no specialization in this field but, with time on my hands, I have made it my business to read as much as possible.

Agree as yet there is no proven vaccine available but unbelievable strides are being to provide one as soon as possible.

Professor Sarah Gilbert, leading the Oxford team, is very confident they already have the vaccine so it is now down to it's efficacy, safety and side-effects. She is that confident that both she and her sons are all taking part in the trials. According to Professor Gilbert, the vaccine is safe and the side-effects acceptable so it's now down to efficacy and accreditation. Because of the tragedy in Brazil, where the risk of contracting the virus is very high, Stage 3 testing is being conducted there.

That just leaves accreditation and because of the huge problems caused by this very infectious virus, I am sure this will be completed as quickly as possible.

Until, the vaccine(s) are available, we need to be patient and cooperative and this requires strong, clear leadership.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Like Bedouin I have no expertise in virology, but I doubt that comparing HIV with COVID (in terms of vaccine development) is helpful. HIV has indeed been around for decades, but the annual death rates in the UK have changed little since 2018; not tens of thousands every year, but around 500. https://assets.publishing.service.g...towards_ending_the_HIV_epidemic_in_the_UK.pdf

From a personal point of view, it might improve communication if people would stop 'SHOUTING' their messages, e.g.

Under 500 post in over 15 years.

Caught your attention and moved you to respond.

Objective achieved.?‼️

Don’t supposed you would like to sign the petition❓Thought not but events have moved on making the petition largely irrelevant.

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I made a post some time ago in ybw's isolation ward (lounge) to describe Swedens approach. It is a widely held aphorism. "When it starts raining the goose seeks shelter under a roof. Then the goose looks up and thinks it has stopped raining so goes out again only to get caught in a "second wave". Hiding behind lockdowns only works if you stay locked down until either a vaccine is available or the virus dies out naturally. So Swedens epi-whatnots decided to take it naturally with no forced lockdown. This infuriated other governments who tried to debunk this method for fear of their own population stringing them up from a lamp post. Sweden was and still is compared to Denmark instead of say Spain, Italy, UK, etc. There is no doubt in Sweden that a volantary lockdown is better than the stop-go lockdown under threat of prison which must have the pressure released occasionally to avoid the trip to the lamp post.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
Under 500 post in over 15 years.

Caught your attention and moved you to respond.

Objective achieved.?‼

What "caught my attention" was not your over-excited post, but Graham376's remarks on vaccine development; to which I responded.

Don’t supposed you would like to sign the petition❓Thought not but events have moved on making the petition largely irrelevant.

I hadn't signed the petition; but you obviously have already been alerted to that by your gift of second sight. It's 'irrelevance' like many pronouncements (particularly in The Lounge), is one reason for infrequent posting.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Like Bedouin I have no expertise in virology, but I doubt that comparing HIV with COVID (in terms of vaccine development) is helpful. HIV has indeed been around for decades, but the annual death rates in the UK have changed little since 2018; not tens of thousands every year, but around 500.

UK deaths are a drop in the ocean, HIV is a worldwide problem having killed over 32 million - Global HIV and AIDS statistics

nortada

Visit site
#37 rather confusing. Don’t post half of this❓Try posting below the ‘quote’‼

Not sure what is irrelevant, the petition or the pronouncement (whatever that is) but as this is not the Lounge probably best we leave it there.?

Last edited:

bedouin

Visit site
UK deaths are a drop in the ocean, HIV is a worldwide problem having killed over 32 million - Global HIV and AIDS statistics
HIV is pretty much under control in the developed world. People should not be dying of it and it is possible to prevent transmission as well. There is still a long way to go in the developing world. However worldwide it is in decline and has been for at least a decade.

More people will die of Covid this year than AIDS - but not many times more.