Not keen on going to the top of your mast?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Surely they have a few spare helicopters that could give done that ? 😀
That was banned by the MOD decades ago!

A pal worked 'on the ranges' years ago. They were often dropped onto a mast to fix kit, but that was banned after an accident. My pal was not happy as they would be dropped beside the structure then have to lug kit up it.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
What does "go to the foot of our stairs" mean?
This expression derives from the North of England. It did travel to others parts of the UK during the 20th century, notably the Birmingham area where it was commonplace, but not much further, and is little known in other parts of the English-speaking world. It is now less used than previously, although it is still staple fare for any writer wishing to write a part for a stage northerner.

This means presumably that the short walk to the place mentioned would allow the speaker to recover equanimity. Or perhaps it meant it was time to give up and go to bed! Used by Tommy Handley in BBC Radio's ITMA (1940s) and elsewhere. Said to have been used by the entertainer George Formby as 'Eeh, I'll go to the foot of our stairs', as also, 'Eeh, I'll go to our 'ouse (pronounced 'our rouse')' - Robina Hinton, Suffolk . Chris Littlefair gave this variation from the North-East : 'I'll go to the bottom of our garden" (Source: phrases.org.uk)

all culled from the internet

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Rather a good cherrypicker though.

I did contemplate hiring a cherrypicker for some alongside-the-quay mast work at one point. Then I got one of those webbing mast ladders and a climbing harness
/ascender and fitted a spare halyard and so far that's been enough. It's a pretty big "enough". I know they have all sorts of requirements I know little about but I still wonder, would it really not be better for the Navy to make these things climbable... so they can be fixed when time, barges, and plant hire companies are not freely available?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Rather a good cherrypicker though.

I did contemplate hiring a cherrypicker for some alongside-the-quay mast work at one point. Then I got one of those webbing mast ladders and a climbing harness
/ascender and fitted a spare halyard and so far that's been enough. It's a pretty big "enough". I know they have all sorts of requirements I know little about but I still wonder, would it really not be better for the Navy to make these things climbable... so they can be fixed when time, barges, and plant hire companies are not freely available?
I’m sure they have the ways and means to climb it if they have to. But the cherry picker will be the easiest way to get 2 contractors up there for a decent, permanent fix.