Not going sailing

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Replacement windows are a work in progress. The interscrews came off quite easily - I was expecting them to be siezed. We only had to hacksaw off two of the heads.

Then came the business of getting the windows to release from the sealant. Slowly and steadily, we managed to prise most of the starboad side off, then, crack, the perspex broke! Oh well, I expect they can make a template from a broken window.

Port side went about the same, but the window stayed intact. Next job was getting all the silicone off. I managed to scrape about 1/4 inch off while Dave went to the loo. When he returned I told him it was never going to work and we needed to think of another way to get the stuff off. He said maybe I should go and see if they had any silicone remover in the chandlers.

Off I went to chandlers, had long conversation with them about windows. They didn't have any silicone remover, but gave me lots of advice and suggested I buy some fancy scraping tool which they don't stock.

Returned to boat to find Dave had removed most of the silicone from the port side. Still lots of residue though. He suggested I go off to B&Q to buy some silicone remover.

I clear off to B&Q, get lost in the aisles, finally found a couple of promising looking scraping tools and the silicone remover. Buy three lots. Return to boat.

Dave has now stripped starboard side but lots of residue left. We have a cup of tea and some cake while I show Dave my B&Q goodies. He is not impressed with either of my scraping tools but pleased to see the silicone remover.

I read instructions - Dave has forgotton his glasses - it says 'leave on for 2-3 hours'. What? It's already about 18.00 hours. Dave spreads some on quick.

Later on, we give it a go and, to our amazement - silicon has softened sufficiently for most of it to be scraped off. I follow up with the wet wipes and a bit of elbow grease and things looking a lot better.

Still some residue, but probably not enough to matter. Might still have to sandpaper a little, or T cut or something. Next problem is what to stick the new windows down with. Silicone again? Sikaflex? Or the adhesive foam rubber strip?

Answers quickly please. Need to put the new windows in next weekend.

Sixpence

Visit site
Coincidentally it's one of the jobs I've just completed. Used some kind of marine glazing putty from Oundle marina, so not far from you, and quite cheap too. Comes on a strip of waxed paper so already the right size, just peel it off and stick it around the edges, then remember to trim off excess before too long. Finish isn't too bad, what d'yer reckon ?

IMG_3654.jpg

Sixpence

Visit site
Tested today with a jetwash /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif not a drop got through /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Seems to be similar to the stuff that was used to seal the other fittings, like the winch and cleats, and they were still well sealed years later, bit of a bugger to unstick though /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Trick is to not tighten the screws too much as it squeezes out of the side, so tighten to make a good seal, but not so tight that all the sealant squeezes out. It's stored on what looks like an elephants bog roll dispenser /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Novice21

Visit site
That's the only job we've so far managed to get done! We used silicone, it looks lovely and certainly seems to be doing it's job, but of course at the moment, the boat is still in the yard...

If you do decide to use sealant, I'd advise using white rather than clear, it does look better.

Sixpence

Visit site
This is the stuff, just nipped back out to take the pic. Four strips each side by side and about 10mm wide. No idea if any other colours are available, but it seems to blend rather well with my windows.

Gardener020.jpg

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Bit late on this but I used Scapa tape from Hadlow Marine to refit the aft cabin windows on GLadys

http://hadlo-43547-001.dsvr.co.uk/Pages/seals-bedding.html

Very impressed. You stick it to the window, poke a small screwdriver through to make a route for the screw to go, and away you go. The windows are 100% waterproof (you scre up the screws until the tape is half the original thickness. Took me one afternoon in a howliing gale to rebed Gladys' I'd use again at the drop of a hat. Used silicon remover as well. Also a good product