Norway this summer?

Minchsailor

Visit site
OK forumites, I think this is on. Ordered some secondhand charts to do the armchair planning.

One thing that worries me - the Norwegian yotties I meet in Scotland say they come over to the Outer Hebrides because the weather is better and it is less rain.....

Woodlouse

Visit site
OK forumites, I think this is on. Ordered some secondhand charts to do the armchair planning.

One thing that worries me - the Norwegian yotties I meet in Scotland say they come over to the Outer Hebrides because the weather is better and it is less rain.....
Go to the east coast then. The scenery isn't quite as dramatic but still stunning and for every rainy day on the west coast they get a sunny one on the east.

wully1

Visit site

The only time I was in Bergen the weather was fine, locals were astonished it had been dry for 2 days...
I'm going back by Motorbike next summer to do a wee recce.

pagoda

Visit site
The only time I was in Bergen the weather was fine, locals were astonished it had been dry for 2 days...
I'm going back by Motorbike next summer to do a wee recce.

I had a year and a bit near Stavanger, up to Bergen on my own boat once. The Bergen area has a serious amount of rain most years, close to the most on the West coast. Rogaland - near Stavanger is slightly better, though not unlike Fort William much of the time. South / Eastern Norway is quite different. Decent summers quite often, cold rather than wet and stormy winters.
Norway is often like Scottish weather on steroids. :ambivalence:

2014 was miraculous from June to August... not remotely normal. Nothing like it since 1947 they told us :) This year was just average!

wully1

Visit site
Ive always thought Norway was Scotland on steroids!

I had a year and a bit near Stavanger, up to Bergen on my own boat once. The Bergen area has a serious amount of rain most years, close to the most on the West coast. Rogaland - near Stavanger is slightly better, though not unlike Fort William much of the time. South / Eastern Norway is quite different. Decent summers quite often, cold rather than wet and stormy winters.
Norway is often like Scottish weather on steroids. :ambivalence:

2014 was miraculous from June to August... not remotely normal. Nothing like it since 1947 they told us :) This year was just average!

Viking

Visit site
There are places to 'overwinter' around here both in and out of the water. In the water is okay. I leave my boat in as do most of my fellow club members. We ever sail in the winter. Had a couple of yachts out today! 02/01/16.

Lozzer

Visit site
We too are thinking of heading to Norway this summer as our shake down cruise. We draw 3.1m is this going to be a problem getting into marinas? Not sure I like sound of wet West coast, could be East coast for us given that info.

pagoda

Visit site
We too are thinking of heading to Norway this summer as our shake down cruise. We draw 3.1m is this going to be a problem getting into marinas? Not sure I like sound of wet West coast, could be East coast for us given that info.

Marinas as such (operated commercially UK style) are rare. Many are private clubs/associations. However lots have visitor areas. I found anchoring in Norway well nigh impossible, due to deep water inshore. It is not at all unusual to have 30m of water less than a boatlength off the rock. Clean rock bottoms are also common due to glacial scouring. I think you will get away with 3.1m a lot of the time, since tides are mostly small - unless you go far North of Bergen

Lozzer

Visit site
We had same issue with depth in Greece the other year albeit on a mobo with a tooth pick for an anchor. Although holding ground slightly different. I don't mind a week or so on the hook but it's nice to get guests ashore, especially when the youngsters are on board.

I had better get the cruising guide and plan this out properly.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Marinas as such (operated commercially UK style) are rare. Many are private clubs/associations. However lots have visitor areas. I found anchoring in Norway well nigh impossible, due to deep water inshore. It is not at all unusual to have 30m of water less than a boatlength off the rock. Clean rock bottoms are also common due to glacial scouring. I think you will get away with 3.1m a lot of the time, since tides are mostly small - unless you go far North of Bergen
Anchorages are marked on the charts, I never had any trouble in anchoring where the chart said. When I tried to be clever and anchor else where though it never worked.

The other option though is tying up to the rocks which is what most of the locals do.

knuterikt

Visit site
I found anchoring in Norway well nigh impossible, due to deep water inshore. It is not at all unusual to have 30m of water less than a boatlength off the rock. Clean rock bottoms are also common due to glacial scouring.
Where have you tried to anchor?
Lots of sheltered places with moderate depths and good bottom to anchor.
Some places have little swing room, Scandinavian moor is useful some places.

BabaYaga

Visit site
Norway. Common practice.

beamto.jpg

Fossil

Visit site
Great idea, all in favour, but be careful of the season. We did a trip to Oslo a few years back at the middle/end of July and by the time we were on our return journey down the Swedish coast in early August heading for Kiel eventually, we were already running into problems about places closing down. The sailing season seems to be quite short there.

pagoda

Visit site
Great idea, all in favour, but be careful of the season. We did a trip to Oslo a few years back at the middle/end of July and by the time we were on our return journey down the Swedish coast in early August heading for Kiel eventually, we were already running into problems about places closing down. The sailing season seems to be quite short there.

Agreed on the short season, Mid June to End July, then VERY quiet.