Norway -- ICC Required?

TrondS

Visit site
Copied from the webpage of Norwegian Maritime Authority (sdir.no)

"Boating licenses or other qualification documents issued in another EEA country are valid in accordance with the contents of the document. An International Certificate of Competence (ICC) issued in accordance with Resolution 40 must include coastal navigation in order to be valid in Norway. Other foreign boating licenses will be valid if they substantially satisfy the requirements of the Norwegian boating license, and are issued in English or a Scandinavian language.

Holders of recognised foreign boating licenses or qualification documents may upon application on the prescribed form be issued a Norwegian boating license, if the master's rights of their original boating license are at least equal to those of the Norwegian boating license. The foreign license must have been issued while the holder was a resident of the country in question, and he or she must have been resident there for more than one year.

If you are uncertain whether your foreign boating license is valid in Norway, please contact the Norwegian Maritime Authority"

jlavery

Visit site
RYA guidance here. Says not required, but is that because Norway accepts RYA Day Skipper etc.? Open to interpretation I think. The quote by @TrondS implies, I think, that this is the case. Either RYA qualification or ICC.

But I may be wrong! The advice to contact the authority is sound...

TrondS

Visit site
Useful info for boating in Norway:

We have a special / local colreg rule #44:
Pleasure crafts, including sailing vessels, shall "as far as possible stay away from commercial vessels in congested waters, harbor areas and in narrow waterways".
In practical life this means you must give way to all commercial vessels. Especially car ferries are known to take advantage of this rule.
The term "narrow waterways" (my translation) is in practical life interpreted to include all fjords, regardless of size.

TrondS

Visit site
RYA guidance here. Says not required, but is that because Norway accepts RYA Day Skipper etc.? Open to interpretation I think. The quote by @TrondS implies, I think, that this is the case. Either RYA qualification or ICC.

The RYA Day Skipper is more worth than the equivalent Norwegian boating license, so the RYA license should be accepted in Norway.

Dockhead

Visit site
If your yacht is shorter than 50 feet and you are born before 1980 you do not need a boating licence in Norway
Unfortunately boat is 54' on deck. Waterline, however, is less than 50'. Most regulations are based on load line length, which is more or less waterline length. Hmm.

Dockhead

Visit site

RYA also says this:

"On boats which are not registered in Norway, the skipper must comply with the rules of the flag state. If the flag state does not require evidence of competence for operating a recreational boat then this is acceptable in Norwegian waters."

Norway | boating abroad | RYA

So maybe the confusion is foreign-flagged boats operated by foreigners, vs. local boats or local operators.

TrondS

Visit site
Unfortunately boat is 54' on deck. Waterline, however, is less than 50'. Most regulations are based on load line length, which is more or less waterline length. Hmm.
The rules specify 15,00 meter, not 50 feet. Norwegian license regulations is based on "LOH - Length of hull", not the load line length.

Zing

Visit site
You might want to just get it done. It’s a very easy and low standard to achieve. Emboldened by Covid the bloody bureaucrats and government rule making is growing relentlessly across the world and sooner or later some marine plod will decide to make your life a misery for the sadistic fun of it. So I got mine recently and it wasn’t as painful as I expected it to be. Took 2 hrs in my own boat and the instructor was quite nice and unofficious. He more or less wrote me up as soon as we left the dock.

Dockhead

Visit site
You might want to just get it done. It’s a very easy and low standard to achieve. Emboldened by Covid the bloody bureaucrats and government rule making is growing relentlessly across the world and sooner or later some marine plod will decide to make your life a misery for the sadistic fun of it. So I got mine recently and it wasn’t as painful as I expected it to be. Took 2 hrs in my own boat and the instructor was quite nice and unofficious. He more or less wrote me up as soon as we left the dock.
Yes, why not just get the ICC.

I wouldn't mind, but the problem is I don't have a free weekend before our summer cruise starts.

Neeves

Visit site
When someone has as many miles under his keel as Dockhead then there is little justification in demanding he has a guest on board, (at even a minor cost but maybe greater inconvenience) to verify his competence.

Jonathan

Zing

Visit site
Yes, why not just get the ICC.

I wouldn't mind, but the problem is I don't have a free weekend before our summer cruise starts.
If it's on your own boat 1 to 1 then less time is needed. I was told 4 hours, but it took 2. Phone around, you'll surely find a school sympathetic to your plight, who are looking for a pile of your hard-earned in exchange for their easy-earned.