North West England Recommendations

RobWard

Visit site
We are thinking of moving from Cardiff to Kendal. Our boat - a fin Bav 30 - is currently moored in Cardiff Bay, and we are wondering where to move it to, and where to moor it. We'd like it to be not too far to drive to (but Southern Scotland is a possibility); so looking for recommendations/personal experiences/contacts. We've got as far as thinking marinas in the Lake District, e.g. Maryport or Glasson Dock, but willing to consider any recommendations including moorings, (though I understand Skippool is probably not viable for a fin.)

dunedin

Visit site
Depends a bit on the way you like to sail. Going for day & weekend sails then stay local (though tide times could limit the practicality for tidal harbours), if generally go for longer trip then worth travelling a bit further.
You should definitely consider the Clyde - superb cruising ground, no tidal constraints - and the drive North from Kendal is much prettier and less busy than a drive south.

Skylark

Visit site
Have you considered north Wales? Many options and locations. Quite a few active forum members on here who doubtless will be along soon so offer up to date info

I had 20 odd years in a few locations around north Wales but mostly in Holyhead. Lovely waters, I only left as a result of the damage caused by Storm Emma.

Since 2017, I moved to The Clyde. Forum rules don’t allow me to say what a wonderful sailing location it is. Lovely waters, plenty of places to explores, warm and friendly locals. It’s their best kept secret.

I live south of Manchester. I’m retired so can plan car journeys to avoid congestion. North Wales is less than 2 hours. The Clyde is a fairly consistent 4 hours.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
We are thinking of moving from Cardiff to Kendal. Our boat - a fin Bav 30 - is currently moored in Cardiff Bay, and we are wondering where to move it to, and where to moor it. We'd like it to be not too far to drive to (but Southern Scotland is a possibility); so looking for recommendations/personal experiences/contacts. We've got as far as thinking marinas in the Lake District, e.g. Maryport or Glasson Dock, but willing to consider any recommendations including moorings, (though I understand Skippool is probably not viable for a fin.)
The Solway is a pretty rubbish place for a fin keeler. Been there, done that. Basically you are limited to a few marinas - Maryport, Whitehaven, Kirkcudbright (visiting only - the waiting list is many, many years even if your face fits) and a few harbours which either dry (Annan, Kippford) have limited shelter (Isle of Whithorn) or both (Garlieston). Round the corner - heading north - I don't think berths are available in Stranraer or Girvan and Ayr is for a few locals only. Troon and Ardrossan have well-thought-of marinas, but limited scope for a short trip.

So if you are thinking of a fin keeler in Scotland, I'd say, like others, that it would really have to be the Clyde.

JohnGC

Visit site
We lived in Kendal until five years ago and kept our shallow fin keeled yacht at Whitehaven for a while. Kendal to Whitehaven takes between 75 and 90 minutes by car (A6, M6 & A66 is usually quicker and easier than through the Lakes),. Whitehaven is nice, but like JD we found Solway sailing limiting.

It depends on the sort of sailing you like and how you are able to arrange your time but I'd consider the Clyde, starting with James Watt Dock marina which is an easy drive and only another hour or less. I believe AtlanticPilot keeps his boat there and a search of the forum should provide some insight.

We moved to Plymouth , a much nicer cruising area than the Solway and were able to walk to the boat. Ironically, we now have a new boat which we bought in January and haven't been able to visit since; it's in The Netherlands!

Davy_S

Visit site
I kept a yacht (a Vega) at Skippool and Fleetwood, it was handy for Wales, IOM and Whitehaven, but Skippool was a pain to get to the sea, and you are limited to the tides, same with Fleetwood, once you are out you are commited, only bolt hole is Piel island, Glasson is similar, I would go for Whitehaven if you are moving to Kendal, we always enjoyed visiting, nice staff on the lock gates, plus you are not as restricted by the tide, otherwise, the Clyde may suit as others have said.

[3889]

Visit site
My choice from Kendal would be Whitehaven, though depending on how you use the boat, Heysham is a 30min drive then ferry to Douglas might be an option.

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
We have kept our boat on Windermere for 19 years in season (It is trailerable). It suited us when we were both working and had other commitments.

We love the Clyde, beautiful, scenery, lots of anchorages and marinas, we like the relatively sheltered waters for our 24ft boat but there is more adventurous sailing available.

Once past Jct 36 M6 the drive up is lovely (Until near Glasgow) . As you will not be towing a large boat you would have more route options.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It depends on the sort of sailing you like and how you are able to arrange your time but I'd consider the Clyde, starting with James Watt Dock marina which is an easy drive and only another hour or less. I believe AtlanticPilot keeps his boat there and a search of the forum should provide some insight.
I hear good things about JWD, but would suggest going a bit firther down the firth (Kip or Largs) if weekend visits are the plan. Apart from jollies up Loch Long, you have to go down past the Cloch to get to th epretty bits anyway, and it's probably better to do an extra fifteen minutes each way by car than have an hour (Kip) or two (Largs) each way by boat. JWD users can now jump on me.

Skylark

Visit site
I hear good things about JWD, but would suggest going a bit firther down the firth (Kip or Largs) if weekend visits are the plan. Apart from jollies up Loch Long, you have to go down past the Cloch to get to th epretty bits anyway, and it's probably better to do an extra fifteen minutes each way by car than have an hour (Kip) or two (Largs) each way by boat. JWD users can now jump on me.

I wouldn’t dream of jumping on you?

I’m a JWD berth holder. It’s primary attraction for me was location and road connection. The extra distance to the other marinas can be tedious and frustrating after an already 4 hour journey.

Over winter, I can visit there and back in a (long) day due to good train connections. Planned ahead, the cost is less than filling my car tank.

Sailing out of the marina, there are plenty of near and far destinations.

The marina isn’t particularly well served by local attractions or amenities, especially if you don’t have a car available. Greenock is ok but it’s a fair walk (but so is Largs town centre from the marina).

Ulysses II

Visit site
I would certainly recommend Whitehaven. Very sheltered Marina in the centre of the town. Reasonable tidal access. Helpful staff. The boat yard now offers a good range of services.
Cruising possibilities are good, although the options involve reasonably long passages - Scottish coast, IoM, Northern Ireland, North Wales.
I would like to have at least one season exploring the Clyde - either relocating up there, or taking longer cruises from Whitehaven.
My other reason for choosing Whitehaven was to be able to have a day's walking in the Lakes added to trips to work on the boat - but I live in West Yorkshir, not Kendal, so that is still a bonus for me!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I wouldn’t dream of jumping on you?

Thanks!

I’m a JWD berth holder. It’s primary attraction for me was location and road connection. The extra distance to the other marinas can be tedious and frustrating after an already 4 hour journey.

My view of the travel is skewed because I travel up from Galloway so to me JWD is the distant one. According to Google maps. Kendal to JWD is 2h 48m, Kendal to Kip (going past JWD) is 3h 2m and Kendal to Largs (via Beith) is 3h 5m, so it doesn't look like much difference. Driving through Greenock is inherently depressing, though.

Sailing out of the marina, there are plenty of near and far destinations.

And there again I may have let my southern bias show. I just assume that everyone wants to go to the Kyles, because I am based at Port Bannatyne, but of course you have Loch Long, Loch Goil and the Gareloch close at hand. I kept my last boat on a mooring at Clynder for a couple of years and yes, it was a great area for short sails.

OP, you might also consider Rhu marina. It's about the same time, coming from the south, as Kip (not as far, slower roads at the end) and can also be easily done by public transport (train to Helensburgh then a short bus or taxi ride). Or there's the the RNCYC, more or less next door, which does half-price moorings for your first year of membership.

OP, a lot of it depends on your usage patterns. I put up with significant inconvenience (my boat's on a swinging mooring ob an island, so getting there involves a ferry and a dinghy trip) because I only use the boat four or five times in a typical year - one of these times being for four weeks. If you want to leave the boat on the Clyde and only use her occasionally, a swinging mooring somewhere may work best. If you plan to come up every weekend the additional cost of a marina would probably be well worthwhile.

Simon__

Visit site
Can’t comment too much on Whitehaven in terms of destinations but we had a month there in 2019 and the staff, facilities and town all seemed nice. Decent beach for dog walks too.

I’d recommend the Clyde for “easy” sailing, in the sense that you can turn up at any time and pretty much do what you want. We had a season at Port Dinorwic in North Wales and it was a nightmare as weekend warriors. There was a 4 hour opportunity to get onto the mooring (due firstly to not being able to launch, secondly due to the strong tides). Then you could only go the way the tide was running and would have to navigate the bar or swellies. You’d then have to plan the reverse if you wanted to get back home on time. Often we’d be arriving 11am Saturday and have to be getting off the mooring by 1pm Sunday. I imagine NW England could be similar?

The Clyde by comparison is fantastic as you can be lazy and plan nothing. Turn up at leisure and head off in whatever direction you like, even if it’s not particularly efficient with wind or tide. There’s plenty of destinations you can get to in short hops at any state of tide. As a weekender you can realistically set off after work on Friday and depart Sunday evening irrespective of what the tides are doing. It meant we used the boat more often even though we were travelling twice the distance.

Last edited:

JimC

Visit site
I've been in Whitehaven for the past five years and (obviously ) like it. However I have a twin-keeler. As JumbleDuck says the Solway is limiting for a fin-keeler. Having said that there are many fin-keelers in Whitehaven and they seem to get plenty of use. Kirkcudbright, Maryport, Douglas, Portpatrick are four non-drying destinations that spring to mind.

SaltyC

Visit site

Where do we start? I agree with most of the comments re the Clyde being a better sailing area, although I sail from the Solway!

The NW/ Cumbria - At the risk of being shot down by individuals, everywhere is tidal hence restricted access. There are marinas available, from 'rumours' Fleetwood is silting and the marina becoming less accessible after the ferries left for Heysham no longer being dredgei. Preston and Glasson Dock are 'a long way up a tidal river', both excellent with good services for a winter refit but in my opinion not suitable for weekend sailing (ie those who have a normal job and grab any chance).

That leaves Whitehaven and Maryport as you move North. Both 'full service' marinas, Whitehaven with a sea lock, Maryport a flap gate. Historically Whitehaven had 'more' access, I reckoned on 3 hours either side without consulting tables, springs or Neaps with 1.7m draught, in right conditions could push 4 hours. Maryport 2 1/2 hours but no delay to lock out so actual sailing about the same. Recently I left Whitehaven, which is rumoured to be silting and not maintained (Dredged), 3 hours before HW with 1.1m Draught and went aground - Rising tide and calm so no problems! IF cost is an issue Whitehaven is Approx 50% more expensive than Maryport.
Whitehaven is centre of town and can be noisy on weekend nights (midnight - 2am) with inebriated revellers throwing empty cans in the marina and singing) Maryport smaller town, less 'benefits' but very quiet on a night.

Winter Sailing from the Solway, clear blue skies, a backdrop of the lake district with white peaks - absolutely breathtaking!

Now the downsides of both.
IF you are retired and can go for extended periods, the Solway is brilliant, Good value, North Wales, IoM, Northern Ireland and Scotland (Clyde and/or the West Coast) are all easily accessible, albeit one or two long days to start (Think Brittany from the South Coast).

If you are working and reliant on weekends then the only destinations are Kirkudbright (22 miles) - at anchor as tides are not suitable for a Cumbrian departure and Kirkudbright arrival, or reverse! So Douglas / Peel - a 45 mile 8? hour trip each way.

The Clyde - double the cost double the travelling distance but, full service marinas, all services are available short overnight trips with many Fantastic destinations available. 'sheltered waters' so sailing more likely.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've been in Whitehaven for the past five years and (obviously ) like it. However I have a twin-keeler. As JumbleDuck says the Solway is limiting for a fin-keeler. Having said that there are many fin-keelers in Whitehaven and they seem to get plenty of use. Kirkcudbright, Maryport, Douglas, Portpatrick are four non-drying destinations that spring to mind.
The Solway problem is a lack of short trip possibilities rather than longer ones, or at least that's how I found it. I had a berth in Kirkcudbright marina, from which the only two practical options are (1) leave with the first half of the ebb, come back with the first half of the flood or (20 sail around the harbour and upper river at high tide. So basically minimum six or maximum two hours, both tidally determined.

Nowadays (well, not this year) I keep a Drascombe Longboat on Loch ken (fresh water) for spur-of the moment sailing nearer home.

claymore

Visit site
I've kept a boat at Skippool for a few years.
Its not really a problem for a fin keeler but the river is silting up now and Fleetwood Dock is really quite poor.
Glasson is lovely if you just want to spend your days using the boat as a floating caravan but its a 3 day camel ride to the open sea and then you either have Piel or the IOM as others have said.
I agree with all who suggest White Heaven - its ok for a wander out over the tide and is handy for Ramsey or Whithorn and beyond.
If you do sail there try to arrive in Daylight the first time - the corner where the lock is is a bit tricky if its dark!

RobWard

Visit site
These are all really helpful, as we've been based in the Bristol Channel for the last few years the tide in Solway doesn't seem so bad... Think we'll be looking at Maryport and Whitehaven in the first instance, we can always move further north later.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
These are all really helpful, as we've been based in the Bristol Channel for the last few years the tide in Solway doesn't seem so bad... Think we'll be looking at Maryport and Whitehaven in the first instance, we can always move further north later.
I'm very happy to field any questions about the Scottish side of the Solway. We do tidal ranges almost as well as the Bristol Channel!