North Sails

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
In my experience for paneled sails the cut has the biggest influence on sail stability over time.

In my racing days I'd change my sails every year.
Today I fast cruise and my sails need to last much longer.
The star cut is significantly more stable than cross cut.
Trouble is due to the bias on dacron you cant use a star cut so you either have to up the weight or go lamnate.
Then a few years ago North produced their own dacron weave with a swapped bias and hey presto the best of both worlds, a dacron material that can be used to make star cut sails.

I had a set made a couple of years back and they are superb.
Not as fast out of the bag as laminates but after three seasons they will still be fast whilst the laminates will be degrading fast.

Joker

Visit site
It's a necrothread, but here goes.

I fitted the new moulded jib, and it was exactly what I had asked for. I gave them the old sail and, with one modification, said 'Make one of those'.

A little to my surprise, it was slightly heavier.

I tried it sailing from Bornholm a couple of days ago. Flat sea, wind about F2. It set beautifully. I succeeded in doing something I'd never been able to do before: get all the telltails to stall simultaneously. A lot of this is very subjective, but I was making over 5 knots in a 30 foot boat in F2. And I could be wrong, but I swear I was getting a good 5 to 10 degrees more to windward - but the flat sea could have helped.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? So far.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
It's a necrothread, but here goes.

I fitted the new moulded jib, and it was exactly what I had asked for. I gave them the old sail and, with one modification, said 'Make one of those'.

A little to my surprise, it was slightly heavier.

I tried it sailing from Bornholm a couple of days ago. Flat sea, wind about F2. It set beautifully. I succeeded in doing something I'd never been able to do before: get all the telltails to stall simultaneously. A lot of this is very subjective, but I was making over 5 knots in a 30 foot boat in F2. And I could be wrong, but I swear I was getting a good 5 to 10 degrees more to windward - but the flat sea could have helped.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? So far.

I’ve occasionally managed to get 5kn in 6kn out of my 30ft Hanse with Sanders laminates. It’s not totally sustainable though. A couple of extra wind knots, bottom of a F3, sounds more realistic if you were able to keep it up. This is the joy of small, light boats though :)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Some of you may have seen the article recently about North Sails, and how they make a one piece sail with no panels.

I'm after a new jib, and I spoke to them at the Southampton Boat Show. The chap seemed quite convincing. Has anyone any experience with that type of sail - good or bad?
I use a local to me sailmaker and sat down with him last October over a mug of coffee to discuss a new set of sails. His first question was "What are you planning to do?" and an interesting discussion was had where all sorts of topics were talked over. OK I am a cynical engineer, but this, in my mind, has to be the first question before considering any sail.

Is the one piece sail designed for racing or cruising and what do you do?

While my post is past the event, I would be interested in the performance of the sail in all sorts of conditions and if it keeps it's shape.

Last edited:

Clive

Visit site
I have a new set of 3DI NorDac North sails. They are mad of Dacron threads but using the 3Di technology.

They look brilliant, set very well, the main is still very stiff when furling along the boom, but I expect they will soften.

certainly easy to set and fast compared to other boats, ie my 30ft x-yacht out sailed most boats up to 38ft in light airs, 10-15 knts.

in the end you get what you pay for, paneled sails are dead, 3Di rule the waves.

Pete7

Visit site
Trouble is due to the bias on dacron you cant use a star cut so you either have to up the weight or go lamnate. Then a few years ago North produced their own dacron weave with a swapped bias and hey presto the best of both worlds, a dacron material that can be used to make star cut sails..

Is this their Radian sailcloth?

Seajet

Visit site

These sort of things would be wasted on a cruising boat, and I'm not that convinced re racing boats either having crewed on some ' money no object ' racers....

For the OP my personal suggestion would be Batt Sails at Bosham, various quality sails from ' very good ' to fab racing ' Dick Batt - brother of Mike Batt songwriter ( Dick says " Yes I was a Womble on Top Of The Pops " ) - I have met Dick and had a small sail repair excellently done by his lady sailmaker, - and a novice chum was delighted to have shaken hands with a real Womble - when I was dinghy racing my heart sank when I saw a boat with new Batt sails compared to my 15 yr old jobs - but I have no personal interest other than mentioning an excellent outfit.

http://www.battsails.com/

Last edited:

BabaYaga

Visit site
These sort of things would be wasted on a cruising boat, and I'm not that convinced re racing boats either having crewed on some ' money no object ' racers....
For the OP my personal suggestion would be...

According to post #22 the OP has already taken delivery of his new sail, North 3Di Nordac as far as I understand...
Very few racers would consider Nordac Radian cloth, it is a concept aimed at the cruiser IMHO.

From talking to a North representative at the boat fair earlier this year I got the information that, although Radian is still made and marketed, the sales are very low, as the prospective buyers go 3Di Nordac instead. The price difference was said to be small or none at all.
On my 30' sailboat I have triradial Radian sails delivered 2012 (furling genoa) and 2014 (main). If I were ordering dacron sails today I would certainly rather consider 3Di Nordac.

Pete7

Visit site
Thanks that is quite interesting, it will be good to hear how it stands up to cruising in the longer term.