Norfolk Line

bendyone

Visit site
Copy of email I have just sent, What a hopeless set-up.

Yesterday 31/8/09

I feel I must write a comment on the service we received from your company yesterday. We were booked on you 20.00 sailing from Dunkirk to Dover, We arrived with plenty of time but were stuck in the queue ( about 2 miles) to get into your terminal. This took about 1 hour to reach the check in. It was purely the volume of traffic and the inability of your staff to process the level of of traffic quick enough. When we reached the check-in we were told the 20.00 sailing was overbooked and that we would be put on the 22.00. ( at this time the ferry was still loading.) Your check-in man said it was complete chaos with too many bookings. There was no delay with both the French and British customs. What is the point of booking a specific time if you overbook the sailings ? This a bound to mean some people with booking wont get on.

I spoke with your ticket office in Dunkirk you said we should have checked in 1 hour before departure, He claimed it was on your website however I quote your terns:-

8.2 Vehicles and Passengers must be checked-in not later than one hour and no more than two hours before the scheduled departure time in the Irish Sea Route and at least _45 minutes_ prior departure for the cross Channel route.

He also claimed there was not a supervisor of manager on site to talk to. This I find it had to believe. He gave me a copy of your customer services in the Uk and said it was open 24 hours a day. This again was untrue, the phone number was for new booking etc. They were aware of the problem but unable to help. Your ticket clerk could benefit for some further training.

At your terminal we thought we would get something to eat or drink however the Bar/Bristro shut at 8 and even though it was before 8 the coffee / hot drinks had been turned off fro cleaning. Out side the big signs were still inviting us in to eat and drink. Half the vending machines were out of order and the others empty so no food.

Anyway we loaded on the 22.00 ferry, what a disaster on the catering front, the nice resteraunt had closed at 21.00, the upstairs bar was also closed, The self service was open but only one man serving (queues were long about 45 minutes) However you man was doing a fantastic job in serving far quicker than the tills could cope with so by the time you could eat the food was cold.

Why only one man serving hot food on a full ferry?

It was a Bank holiday we had all known about for years so there is no excuses for lack of staff or availability of food. It was obviously that your set up could not look after the numbers of passengers.

Your company had lost a opportunity to make considerable sums of money on this crossing as well as upsetting a load of customers, in these days I would have thought it vital to look after your customers as we all have a choose of ferries.

We have used your ferries on a number of number of times over they last year and have been happy however after last night we need a bit of reassurance from you that maybe it was a one off.

Your comments would be welcome.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Copy of email I have just sent, What a hopeless set-up.

Yesterday 31/8/09

I feel I must write a comment on the service we received from your company yesterday. We were booked on you 20.00 sailing from Dunkirk to Dover, We arrived with plenty of time but were stuck in the queue ( about 2 miles) to get into your terminal. This took about 1 hour to reach the check in. It was purely the volume of traffic and the inability of your staff to process the level of of traffic quick enough. When we reached the check-in we were told the 20.00 sailing was overbooked and that we would be put on the 22.00. ( at this time the ferry was still loading.) Your check-in man said it was complete chaos with too many bookings. There was no delay with both the French and British customs. What is the point of booking a specific time if you overbook the sailings ? This a bound to mean some people with booking wont get on.

..........as we all have a choose of ferries.

We have used your ferries on a number of number of times over they last year and have been happy however after last night we need a bit of reassurance from you that maybe it was a one off.

Your comments would be welcome.

I can confirm from a passage taken just 7 days ago that my family found the condition of the lavatories on board deplorable - a sure sign that NL has cut the absolute basics. Whatever the reason, NL is loosing tonnes of hard won reputation.

On the other hand, we came back yesterday evening via Eurostar - bang on!

PWG

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
That would have been the leftovers from F1 Spa Grand Prix traffic as well then.

We left Dover - Dunkirk 1200 Friday and got the return 1200 Monday, No problem checking in or with the facilities on either ship.

Only problem was the coffee tasted like muddy water, everything was just as one would expect from a cross channel ferry, overpriced and mediocre.

Weather and the views were great for our crossings though

Visit site
Why only one man serving hot food on a full ferry?
I was going to suggest your email was a waste of time, but its publication here and the fact you have exposed lost revenues for the line might make a difference.

If a big share holder picks up on this routine business incompetence things might change.

Cerddinen

Visit site
I travelled on Norfolk Line in 2003 when trucks were still in the majority. An excellent experience with surprisingly good and cheap food, plus a virtually empty passenger lounge.

I travelled with them again this summer. Overcrowded, overpriced unpleasant food and stressed staff. But they did allow us to board an earlier ferry on return and were very cheap.

Like anything, you get what you pay for.

bendyone

Visit site
I travelled on Norfolk Line in 2003 when trucks were still in the majority. An excellent experience with surprisingly good and cheap food, plus a virtually empty passenger lounge.

I travelled with them again this summer. Overcrowded, overpriced unpleasant food and stressed staff. But they did allow us to board an earlier ferry on return and were very cheap.

Like anything, you get what you pay for.

Our experience in the past has been good, it was just this time when they couldn't cope with the number of people. They must have know it was going to be busy and should have had extra personal and food.

alan_d

Visit site
Norfolkline have taken over the Rosyth to Zeebrugge ferry, but I haven't been on it. Too dear - their pricing structure means you have to pay for a four-berth cabin even if you are using only two of the berths. It was different on the previous Superfast vessels.

Gezzer

Visit site
Re Norfolk Line

I used them over the weekend (Spa F1 GP) caught the 06.00 on Friday, and the 14.00 back on Monday, apart from the loo's which were I agree a bit wiffy, it was fine, no queues at check in that took 5 mins max, and everything was on time, we even commented on how empty the passenger area was despite the guy at check in telling us the ferry was full, so I wonder what happened to your sailing, maybe it was a genuine one off for a change.

jellyellie

www.jellyellie.com
Good on you for taking this up with them.

Just a point for the future, though - best to state at the top that you are making an official complaint rather than a 'comment', as this will more than likely trigger a company policy and obligate them to respond to you.

Also, I expect their policy of overbooking is totally normal amongst other ferry companies, as it is in the airline industry - that is unlikely to change, and I suspect you are unlucky more than anything else to have fallen fowl of it.

bendyone

Visit site
Good one Norfolk Line

In fairness to Norfolk Line I have copied below their reply. I consider this to be very fair and shows that they listen to customers. I will use them again.

Thank you for your email.
I am writing to offer my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced with our service in Dunkerque on the 31st August 2009
The last weekend in August is traditionally a very busy period for all ferry operators and the majority of our sailings from Dunkerque were either fully or nearly fully booked so we set up our operation accordingly. During the early afternoon we began experiencing computer system problems which delayed check-in for a large number of passengers. As this caused a backlog at the booths (all of which were open) we began to swamp both our own capacity to handle the volume, and that of both the French and UK Immigration services.
Moreover, due to the consequent extreme increase in volume of traffic over a very short period of time it was difficult to filter out the vehicles that were legitimately booked on each sailing and we were forced to deal with each vehicle as it arrived at the check-in. In order to reduce the effect of the additional volumes we tried to ask any customers arriving early to return later so that as many booked or delayed passengers as possible could be shipped.
We are currently working on a project to rejuvenate the café/restaurant facilities in Dunkerque and until this venture is complete vending machines have been put in place for our customers convenience. However, due to the sheer volumes of passengers it appears the vending machines had run out of food/drinks. Our staff in Dunkerque should have updated the board to advise customers accordingly and we apologise that this was not the case.
We fully understand and appreciate the distress and inconvenience this caused at the time and how it affected your onward journey. We would like to stress that it is our intention to always offer the best possible service to our valued customers, and it appears we have failed in all areas on this occasion. The comments we receive are therefore of the utmost importance and paramount to the quality control of our operation and we appreciate you taking the time to write to us.
During seasonal periods such as this, we increase our staffing levels significantly onboard to accommodate the extra passengers travelling. We are launching an immediate investigation into why outlets were closed, and even more concerning why there was only one member of staff serving food. Clearly this is bad management and we will not accept this.
We demand high standards from all our staff and realise that we can not be complacent and will ensure this is dealt with appropriately.
As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer one complimentary return crossing with Norfolkline. This offer is valid for one year from the date of this email, and is subject to availability.
If you would like to take advantage of this offer please either contact 01304 218443 alternatively customer-services@norfolkline.com quoting your NFL number and we will see all the necessary arrangements are made on your behalf.
Finally, please accept our apologies once again for the difficulties you experienced with our service.

SimbaDog

Visit site
Your Dad was telling me about that yesterday when I dropped the thingy off at his house :(

Sound like a fun weekend :eek:

FullCircle

Visit site
A fair result, well done for your measured rant, I think it struck the right sort of constructive carping.

Sometimes the sun shines on us.....