Non stinky fuel for spirit burning stove?

johnalison

Visit site
Memories of our Origo cooker brings tears to my eyes, as any owner would know. I used to get industrial meths from a friendly chemist occasionally, and I think we bought good stuff in France, but mainly just sat with our children in the cabin and wept. I am slightly jealous that you have more options than we did in the ‘70s.

Aquanaught

Visit site
When I had a Origo stove on an old boat we always used surgical spirit. It cooked well without the smell of meths. You can buy in small quantities from pharmacies etc but expensive that way. We bought from farmers stores (e.g. Mole Valley) as they sell in 2.5L & 5L quantities at much better prices.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
All the options mentioned (except methanol) are ethanol, the stuff in your drink that makes you happy!

The nasty smell is from impurities added to make it unpleasant to drink. So it's a question of finding a version where the additives don't give a bad smell. All I can suggest is to shop around!

There's nothing special about the "bio" bit of bio-ethanol; that merely indicates the source of the ethanol; chemically it's the same stuff. But they often use different bittering agents, and often don't have the blue dye.

Lab alcohol is the purest, but unless you have access to a laboratory that uses it, you can't readily get it.

VicS

Visit site
Isn't de-natured alcohol the recc'd ??

Seem to remember years ago - people used to talk about a French Product ??
There are 3 approved classes of denatured alcohol in the UK.

Completely denatured alcohol (CDA), which replaces the old violet coloured meths. The colouring is now optional.​
Industrial denatured alcohol (IDA) which replaces the old industrial methylated spirit (IMS). It requires a permit to buy.​
Trade specific denatured alcohol (TSDA)​

If you have time to kill see
Production, distribution and use of denatured alcohol (Excise Notice 473)

I assume the "bioethanol" mentioned earlier is uncoloured CDA otherwise it is a complete anomaly.

'Alcool à brûler' is the French stuff you are thinking of.

Wikipedia says
L'alcool à brûler est un mélange composé d'éthanol CH3–CH2-OH (à 90%) dénaturé au méthanol CH3OH. L'alcool à brûler est hautement toxique du fait de la présence de méthanol (en général 5 à 10 %).

Last edited: