No charge from my outboard !!!

paulburton44

www.withamsailingclub.co.uk
My Honda bf6 6hp 4 stoke 2005 outboard does not seem to be giving out a charge....

The fuse is fine....

The wires to the rectifier is giving a voltage....varies with revs.

But I am getting nothing out of it....

I did this testing with the battery not connected....

Is the Rectifier knackered ???

The engine is 18 months old and has had one service by a honda dealer ??

Strathglass

Visit site
It depends on what type of meter you are using.

The output from a rectifier is not DC but rectified AC.

This may not register on the DC ranges of some digital meters and the rectifier will not function without some sort of load.

Connect the rectified output to a battery and measure the voltage at the battery. If the battery is not fully charged the DC voltage should rise when you rev the engine.

The battery will effectively allow a digital meter to work.

Also as the rectifier has no load without a battery connected it will not function correctly.

Iain

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is the Rectifier knackered ???

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like it.

How did you test the output? It should light a 12volt bulb up to the rated output in watts. Also test the output from the coil with the bulb. (The bulb will put the load on that iansimpson wants)

If you have a digital multimeter with a diode test range you can test the whole thing diode by diode. Disconnect it and with the meter on the diode test range take the reading between one input connection and the posive output connection. Reverse the meter and take the reading again. One way you should get infinity (ie the same as the meter reads disconnected) but the other way you will get a reading. The actual reading is not important. Repeat that between each input connection and the positive and then between each input and the negative connection (the case?) For each you should get a reading one way but infinity the other way if all is well.

Normally connecting the battery the wrong way round will destroy it in an instant but if the fuse is in the battery connection that should protect it.

The output from the coil will be speed dependent.

paulburton44

www.withamsailingclub.co.uk
I am using an auto range meter it detects ac/dc....I will try with the battery contected tomorrow.....

I have just had 5 days away on the boat and the battery went flat on day 4... I do have a solar panel as well....but use little electic...

kirielad

Visit site
So if you run the outboard disconnected from a battery (as in a flushing tank for example), would that damage / destroy the rectifier?

Rob

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
would that damage / destroy the rectifier

[/ QUOTE ] No, no way. Done it every layup since 1985.

William_H

Visit site
No of course you will not harm the rectifier or charger by running with no battery. That is assuming it is a simple charging coil rectifier system. The rectifier could be damaged by connecting battery backwards because this can allow the current to flow from the battery through all 4 diodes to form a short circuit through the diodes.
I would have expected a digital multimeter to register both voltage output and current into the battery however the readfing may fluctuate becuase the digital mm takes a readingover a small period of time but at a repeating rate relatively long period so it may measure the vopltage or current at the top of a peak of current or near the bottom of the pulsing cycle.
Anyway it is not as likely as you might think that the rectifier is dead. It is more likely wiring or connection just check it all out.

good luck olewill

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The fuse is on the battery (output) side..

[/ QUOTE ] Then that should protect the rectifier from reversed battery connections, at least it would have blown as well but it hasn't. That of course assumes that the fuse is a suitable rating!

Using a bulb instead of the multimeter to check the output from both coil and rectifier overcomes any possible problems and quirks of the meter. It also confirms that you can draw a current, a digital voltmeter does not do that.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The fuse is 5 amp

[/ QUOTE ] That sounds OK. It would not have been if you had said it was somthing much much larger.

Let us know what you eventually discover to be the problem.