No chandlers left in London? Oh yes there is

semisimple

Visit site
oh that's excellent, thank you so much for posting it, been looking for a chandlery in London for a while.

The only other ones I know of are Welsh Harp (N London) - but mostly dinghy stuff - http://www.welshharp.co.uk/ and Ocean Leisure (Embankment) - which is quite expensive unfortunately.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Lots of rope, a window full of brass/bronze bits from Davey, and not much else.

(The rope isn't particularly high-tech, either. If you're looking for SK90 dyneema, I doubt you'll find it.)

Vern

Visit site
Just like the juxtaposition of trendy, urban and edgy culture with chandlery, although the Thames is hardly a breath away, One does not expect to hear of much going on in that vein.
But Theatre props prove the point better than I.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
20 years ago I used to go to a big chandlers about 2 minutes walk across from Liverpool Street station. I can't remember the name. Is that closed now?

(sorry that's all rather vague!)

Richard

I wonder if it was Force 4?

Last edited:

Conachair

Visit site
Beales has morphed into a theatrical supplier. Not much real marine stuff there now.

Maybe not but still a lovely shop. They do have lots more hidden away in the million and one drawers behind the counter. At west end prices.

Funny story - I was in there ages ago when a S & M march went up Shaftesbury Avenue, lots of butch woman and blokes wearing dog leashes shouting "We demand less rights!" Many of them looking over at Beales presumably thinking "Thats MY kinda shop" ;)

There's always Ocean leasure down on the embankment, pretty good book section...

sighmoon

Visit site
Beales has morphed into a theatrical supplier. Not much real marine stuff there now.

What a shame, it must have been one of the longest established businesses in the country.

There was a very elderly gentleman working there when I last went in. I asked him "Have you really been here for 400 years?"
His reply, with a completely straight face: "I haven't, no."

jpcarter30

Visit site
What a shame, it must have been one of the longest established businesses in the country.

There was a very elderly gentleman working there when I last went in. I asked him "Have you really been here for 400 years?"
His reply, with a completely straight face: "I haven't, no."

They are without doubt the most miserable set of you-know-whats I've met in a swindlery.