NMEA output monitoring

earlybird

Visit site
How can I check for particular NMEA output sentences from my instrument system. In particular, I want to see if heading information (HDM) is available, since my radar does not seem to be detecting it, although it should be there. Can this be done reasonably easily by connecting to a PC serial port? If so, what software is required

Thanks

alan

Visit site
You dont need any speaial software just "Terminal Emulator" whixh is usually already installed on your PC. As you say just connect a serial port either directly (if you have one) or via serial to USB converter.

Alan.

tangofour

Visit site
Its called 'Hyperterminal'

set the port for 4800,n,8,1.

You need a serial port or a USB/serial converter for most modern PN's

you should be able to see the stuff going past but if not log to a text file and then browse at your leisure.

wooslehunter

Visit site
Hyperterminal's how I've done it for years. You'll find it under START->ACCESSORIES->COMMUNICATION

It has a little quirk to be careful of though. It may have been fixed in your version and has in my current lapton running XP Pro.

Some older versions allowed you to change the baud rate whist connected - you thought. In fact you had to disconnect, change the baud rate and then reconnect for it to take effect. My current version doesn't allow you to change it without disconnecting first.

Alternatively, most of the plotter progs like Seaclear have a NMEA monitor screen.