nightlife in Wivenhoe ?

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
From Google :-
Story of the Black Buoy Public House under Reg and Jean ...
www.wivenhoehistory.org.uk › topics › people-2 › stor...

28 Jun 2019 - The pub became (and still is of course) one of Wivenhoe's favourite drinking ... December 1987: Like most pubs, the Black Buoy had an ice-making ... Originally named the Black Boy (after the 17th century king, Charles II, ...

I am glad that I am not going daft in my old age
Certainly looks worth calling in for a pint. Thanks for the history.
I assume they called the road after the famous pub.

Tomahawk

Visit site
If you want to good pint...

The Railway Tavern, Brightlingsea.... Won Pub of the year this last week.

In fact, if you want a pleasant stopover, just stay in Brightlingsea. Better all tide access, more pubs, world famous chippie. Though sadly th pe much loved Kovalam has packed up.

Tam Lin

Visit site
If you want to good pint...

The Railway Tavern, Brightlingsea.... Won Pub of the year this last week.

In fact, if you want a pleasant stopover, just stay in Brightlingsea. Better all tide access, more pubs, world famous chippie. Though sadly th pe much loved Kovalam has packed up.

Just don’t expect the Railway Tavern to be near the station though!

oilybilge

Visit site
i don't know about pubs but must give a shout-out to the Wivenhoe Deli which among other things has has all sorts of weird and wonderful beers on its shelves. I always come away from Wivenhoe with my bilges stuffed full of bocks and rauchbiers.

johnalison

Visit site
i don't know about pubs but must give a shout-out to the Wivenhoe Deli which among other things has has all sorts of weird and wonderful beers on its shelves. I always come away from Wivenhoe with my bilges stuffed full of bocks and rauchbiers.
The deli is shut until Wednesday for its annual closure, nothing to do with Covid.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Sailed....... well drifted past the Rose and Crown Friday evening, busy and seemed the place where it was all happening. Rowhedge where I tied up was much quieter.

johnalison

Visit site
Sailed....... well drifted past the Rose and Crown Friday evening, busy and seemed the place where it was all happening. Rowhedge where I tied up was much quieter.
You'll be lucky to get out of there in one piece. They should all be locked up.

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
I visited at the end of July and only one berth available on the pontoon. Call ahead to check availability. The phone number is in ECP. The clubhouse and facilities were closed to visitors. I had a lunchtime pint in the Rose and Crown and they were serving food, but I didn't eat anything.

johnalison

Visit site
I visited at the end of July and only one berth available on the pontoon. Call ahead to check availability. The phone number is in ECP. The clubhouse and facilities were closed to visitors. I had a lunchtime pint in the Rose and Crown and they were serving food, but I didn't eat anything.
I have nothing to do with the WSC pontoon but I saw it yesterday and it is certainly pretty full at present. It was a condition of the grant for the pontoon's refurbishment that it should have some availablity for visitors, so there should be at least one berth at any time.

Rum Run

Visit site
Well I visited on Sunday and was only there for one tide on this occasion. There was space on the outside of the outermost pontoon only, as the inner ones were completely full, and really only space for one visiting boat.
As it was mid-evening when I arrived the Black Bouy had stopped serving food so I ate in the Rose and Crown which was was fine.
The weather both ways was quite calm and warm so very pleasant sailing. Going up river was mostly running and there was enough water to keep the keel down until within half a mile of the WSC pontoon. This was quite early in the flood so no worries about getting stuck. There was very little water at the pontoon so managed to get the bow tied and waited a little while for the boat to swing in before mooring properly. There is a fair drop from the pontoon level to mud level at dead low water so slacker than anticipated ropes needed.
It is was a very pleasant trip and I'm glad I made it.
Thanks again for the info

sailorman

Visit site
I'm planning a trip up the Colne soon and wondered what the cognoscenti recommend for places to eat and drink?
Thanks in advance
My 9ft dinghy i availablits bee at ramsholt most of its life go talk with lee gilson whp is msrins manager at foxs msrins the preceeds are going t mackmillan charity.check sailing eith cancer on the internet

mrming

instagram.com
Reviving this thread on Wivenhoe rather than start a new one. Would like to visit during our summer cruise. We’re a fin keel Fulmar drawing 1.6m, used to drying out in soft mud. Assuming we can get a space, is the mud at Wivenhoe SC pontoon soft enough for us to dry upright in?

Creek

Visit site
Reviving this thread on Wivenhoe rather than start a new one. Would like to visit during our summer cruise. We’re a fin keel Fulmar drawing 1.6m, used to drying out in soft mud. Assuming we can get a space, is the mud at Wivenhoe SC pontoon soft enough for us to dry upright in?
yes, should be fine as several members do that with their boats. Worth contacting the club to confirm.