NEWBIE - WHICH YACHT?

G

Suggestions please about suitable yachts:-

Family of 4- husband, wife, boy age 16, boy age 12 have dinghy sailed for 6 years.
We have spent some time on yachts - Greek flotilla, UK weekends with friends

We are considering buying our own yacht.

We like the trailer-sailer idea but this may not be practical
The yacht needs to have a separate heads compartment
Price - up to 10k, preferably less
Most likely sailing areas East coast and South coast of UK

The PBO series on trailer sailers is great but details on berths/heads is not complete

Any suggestions or advice on a suitable yacht?

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Hmm, I bought my boat this year that was for sale at £15,000 - I've sent about another £3,000 getting her sea worthy and have to spend the same again this winter on new sails and other equipment.

I've also laid out loads in berthing fees, insurance, repairs, radio licences... you name it, it costs money.

The boat is 27 feet and I've only had 4 people on board once and it was VERY cosy. I try to limit numbers to 3.

My point is - if you're £10,000 is for the boat AND everything esle then you'd better only spend £7,500 / £8,000 on the boat which doesn't leave you with much - certainly nothing worthy of any lengthy passage with the family, not in any comfort at any rate.

Cheap or cheaper boats tend to be so because they need a lot doing to them (I'm still finding out!) - maybe it's worth chartering for a while and saving up a but more money? Borrowing is cheaper now and if the recession hits boat prices will drop.

Sorry not to be very positive.

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

stephenk

Visit site
Family of 4 in boat for hols and weekends. Mmmm, trailer sailers have their place and if they are your cup of tea then they are fantastic but there are disadvantages, especially if the wind gets up. If you want a good safe tried and tested boat that will look after you then there is only one choice......a Centaur, you will also have a reasonable choice for your money.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I agree with the last thread . £10K might be your budget , but whatever boat you buy , and I'm not even going to suggest one yet , be prepared to spend some money , probably thousands to get it up to scratch. With your budget and the assuming you're looking at around 27' , then you're looking at a 1970's boat. Things you need to check thoroughly and might need attention , even renewal , include engine , sails , rigging and of course osmosis treatment. I would suggest you narrow your choice down to 3 or 4 different types then find out more about them from forums like this. You've got all winter to look which is as nice a way as any to spend a winter weekend. Once you've decided on the type then try and get the best you can find but bear in mind the above. Good luck.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
You might struggle to get seperate heads in most trailer sailers, one boat you might consider is a Beneteau 235, quite roomy but you are unlikely to get one for £10k but there are some around at about £13k which after a bid might not be too far away. Also I suspect that you shouldn't have to spend much on maintenance. Worth spending more to get the right boat. Let us know what you narrow it down to.

G

Sorry, but I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket on this as well.

I spent seven months looking for exactly what you are looking for now, although mainly for 2 people the idea was always to have my brother and his other half along for much of the summer.

I went out looking for 2 boats, either Jaguar or Leisure. After looking at umpteen boats and paying for 4 surveys ( I'm sure brookers don't realy look at these boats before they take them onto the books) I had enough and went for a new 25ft, the Ocean 760. 4 berths, seperate heads and a trailer sailor. For pictures and floor plan go to www.btinternet.com/~tim.eades and click Tosca Too link.

The base price £16,750 but with all the extras, wireing up, fitting gas lines, outboard, trailer, nav lights, nav pack etc etc has ended up at around the £26,000 mark.

But as Roger pointed out it's fairly cheap to borrow at the moment and the amount I borrowed is on a fixed rate so if rates go up term extended not payments through the roof.

Please don't let me put you off, if you have the time and patience and perhaps someone who knows what they are looking for to come along with you, you will find what you want.

Tim Eades
http://www.btinternet.com/~tim.eades/

G

Not mine.

But have been down to Challenger a couple of times and taken out their demo boat.

I have had I crap day with bugger all wind and one force 6, and was very happy.

Performed very well and I am looking forward to being out every weekend next season. I have already booked two weeks of for next summer to sail down to Deauville where we are haveing my fathers 60th birthday bash

Tim Eades

G

Still not quite sure, but Ramsgate seem's to be coming out on top at the moment.

Then Eastbourne and the possibley Chichester.

The reasion for Ramsgate is it's nearly the closest and after doing the Mon-Fri in London I want the quickest, least hassel drive on Friday night, and only 4 hrs or so over to France.

Tim Eades

G

You could try calling the PBO article service. You should be able to find the contact on this site somewhere. When I bought my boat I got some back copies which helped build up the picture of what I was getting. There must be some quite recent articles comparing yachts in the £10k market. In fact I remember at the start of this year there was a copy of PBO that covered the Jaguar 25 (you can get quite a nice one for £10k) - I think it mentioned some other boats of this type.

When I bought my boat (Jag 25 - same budget as you) I started by digging out articles and visiting local boat yards to have a look at some craft.

My Jag is the bilge keel version - it's key drawbacks are it doesn't handle too well in light airs and it doesn't sail too close to the wind (but the sails are pretty worn out - but replacements due soon). But as a first boat I've really enjoyed owning it and have learned a hell of alot. When the winds up it does sail well - but I'm always careful to reef the sails well in advance as it's quite a light boat and things can get a bit hairy (+end up fighting the rudder - less sail,easier to handle and sails more efficiently)!! But I have had it out in a F7 and it was fine.

Down below there is a small galley (I removed the gas bottle and cooker as it didn't look too safe! - I put in a one ring gas cartridge cooker which is ace). There's a long quarter berth down the starboard side, a double in the saloon and a double cabin up front - also a bench seat in the saloon that could be used as a berth. I'm 6ft so have to stoop a bit down below - but there's plenty of room. It's billed as having 6 berths which is a bit generous. I've comfortably had 3 on there - and reckon I could do 4. There's also separate heads which is a big factor for the girlies.

Mine's had an inboard fitted which works fine.

My summary of the Jag 25 is that it does have a couple of bad habits but you get used to them - and for under £10k it's been an absolute treat.

I've shown people round my boat before when they express interest as they walk down the pontoons - might be an idea to trawl some local marinas and see if any friendly skippers will let you have a peak on board.

I must say - it took me months to chose the right boat for me - and I loved every minute of it.

One boat I didn't get a chance to look around was a Westerly GK24. There's one in the marina that has been restored and its look really good and I reckon it probably sails pretty well. They can be bought for well under £10k. Probably worth a look.

Happy hunting and I hope you get the right boat.

MRM

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
No particular recommendation, just a suggestion that you don't restrict your search to UK brokers. Although I eventually bought in the UK, when I was less clear about exactly what I wanted I spoke with French, Belgium, Dutch and Danish brokers. Their prices were very attractive compared to rip-off Britain, and their all-round professionalism put many UK brokers to shame.

The internet and e-mail makes it reasonably easy

G

we were in the same position as you now are, some 10 years ago. in practise, son went off to college and came along only occasionally, daughter found other things more interesting and rarely came along. all I'm saying is dont make your whole decision round accomodation for the kids unless you are absolutely certain that they will be with you long term

as far as boats are concerned, we bought one that would readily re-sell, thinking it likely that as newbie's we might well buy wrong. in the event, we bought a hunter and kept it for 7 years. it was excellent, as was the service from hunter themselves.

have heard poor things about jaguar - but best way to tackle this is to select your surveyor before you chose the boat. most surveyors wont mind one or two calls along the lines of "what do you think about jaguars..." if they think there will be a commission at the end of it. you need to be careful about obsolete makes. they often didnt go out of business for no reason.

best advice is to buy a boat made by a well established company (say hunter or the french). buy a bilge keeler if you are contemplating the east coast, and buy one that you will still enjoy sailing if the kids dont come.

dont ignore cats. they give you exc accomodation, take to the ground, sail well, and some are in your budget. ignore the bull about turning over. it is v difficult to do, and in the same circs a mono will usually sink. however, they do fail the ongoin company test.

finally, with the economy turning down, dont pay the asking price. there are lots of boats about, and the prices you see in pbo should only be the staring point after you have deducted 20% or so.

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Tim

My boat's at Itchenor - most swing moorings are owned by the Harbour Conservany http://www.conservancy.co.uk/ - and the best ones (Itchenor Reach that has all-tide access) go very quickly.

Get in touch with the moorings manager Adrian at the harbour office - he's a very nice guy and will sort you out something.

Of course you might know all this already but if you want more info let me know...I also come down from London.

Let me know if you chose Chi as I'd be most interested to have a nose around your boat !!

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

G

There is an alternative to getting your own; its yacht sharing. For £10k you'll get 1/3 share of a solid British mid-80's yacht - Westerley Konsort or Moody 31. Solid boats, 6 berther's that wil l sleep 4 with comfort. Not only is it a way of containing costs, you'll also learn loads from your partners, and when you are ready for one of your own, you'll know much more about maintenance etc.
After 3 years of shared, I'm getting one of my own, but I would still maintain sharing is a good way of getting going, without huge financial expossure.
Pick your partners carefully tho'.
Try www.yachtfractions.co.uk for listings, or else the small ads of YM
Good luck