New Vodafone "Passport" charges

boatmike

Visit site
New Vodafone \"Passport\" charges

I just picked up a leaflet at the Vodafone shop which describes new service for calling from abroad. Seems it's been around for about 2 months so many, like me, might not have heard of it.
Basically you call on 5555 to register. I just did. Its free to register. Thereafter you pay 75p for a connection charge and thereafter pay the same rate for your call as you would at home. Recieving a call you pay 75p and the caller pays for the call. Sounds good to me and is available France, Italy, Greece, Spain, as well as Australia and NZ and lots of other places.
Sounds good to me..... Takes the guesswork out of the cost and although you don't want to call every five minutes at 75p a call it means when on the phone you need not cut call short because of cost. Sounds ideal for keeping in touch with home on a regular basis.....

smb

Visit site
Re: New Vodafone \"Passport\" charges

Sounds interesting, but I just had a quick squint at their web pages and got the impression it was only available on Business Price Plans of one sort or another. Will look in more detail later when I have time.

Last summer Easymobile were charging about 75p per minute to call home from Greece, which was a good reason not to do it very often.

Steve

stephenh

Visit site

Vodaphone 'passport 5555'

It has been around for some time.
I have a UK PAYG vodaphone (ordinary rates)
Last summer in the Med they sent me a text with this offer. I signed up.
It made no difference at all!!
Cost a bomb because I thought I was on a cheap rate and I had loaded the phone with lots of credit....
Might be worth while looking into a bit more carefully ???

boatmike

Visit site

I have had it from the vodafone shop, in writing, and by telephone talking the vodafone. They all say it has been available for only 2-3 months so how did you sign up before then?
Visit www.vodafone.co.uk/passport for details

stephenh

Visit site

I was off Spain / France on a delivery last October when the offer came through by text - maybe it was from a local provider ??
Perhaps thats why it did not work ??
Don't know.
Back in the Med in June if not before - I'll give it another try.
Is it working for you ??

bendyone

Visit site

Been around for a while now, good value fro calls back to the UK, only down side is incomming call cost 75p even if only 2 seconds, missed calls etc.

masca

Visit site

I have subscribed to this, but have not used it yet. When you say that you get charged for a missed call, do you mean if it goes to voicemail? I do not use voicemail so I assumed that if I choose not to answer a call when abroad I would still not have to pay anything! Is this correct? Thanks.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk

I have been pretty vocal in the past regarding Vodafone and the "arm and a leg" charges when abroad.
FWIW I think you will be better off with a local PAYG sim and the blue EuroDirect phone card for 6€'s.
NO OTHER CARD EXCEPT FOR THE EURODIRECT ONE; loads of minutes (600 to a UK landline from Spain! but valid for about 40 days from first use)

www.seraph-sailing.com

charles_reed

Visit site
vodafone passport

Surprised anyone could think Vodafone charges reasonable - obviously finding the original didn't sell (it's been around for at least a couple of years) Vodafone have re-released it.

My experience has been that it's far far cheaper to use a local PAYG SIM card, use text in preference to voice, and have your UK landline phone on a "special" rate such as BT Friends & Family International.
U could use the latter with your UK SIM card which would be marginally cheaper than Vodafone UK PAYG rates and avoid the 75p surcharge.
Only trouble this doesn't work in Malta where mobile rates are similar to the "most expensive in Europe" accusation levelled by an official survey at UK and German rates.

Can only suggest you think again and do your research more meticulously and in greater depth.

PS I do have a mobile with a QWERTY keyboard, which makes texting far less of a writhe than the desperately unfriendly systems used by the majority of phones - it's also a eponymous challenge to keep within 160 characters of a text.

PSS Many of my elderly, technophobe friends, don't know their mobiles have a texting facility, and seldom even turn the mobile on (regarding it as a means of emergency communication). Berating them for their lack of communicative concern, on returning to the UK, always puts me in a usefully coercive position on the moral high ground.

boatmike

Visit site

Dont know how well it works for me as I am not yet abroad....
Don't see why it should not do exactly as it says though.
As others have said a local SIM card is still probably better if you are in one country for a while but in principle it would make it much cheaper than existing UK providers and if you are not using the phone several times a day but want the facility to call home once a week or recieve important calls from home it performs the function of reducing the overseas rate to the same as at home for a 75p connection charge. As far as texting is concerned it's still the best method and free to receive. I will look at the missed calls thing but don't see how they can charge for a call not connected unless it's voicemail. In that case I think it's clear that they would. Seems to me that the secret is intelligent use like anything else, and in particular educating those who might call you from abroad. If you do this it seems to me that it makes it reasonable to stay with Vodafone unless like some you are naturally prejudiced against them. Personally I have no axe to grind. Just thought others who had never heard of it might like to check it out.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]
I will look at the missed calls thing but don't see how they can charge for a call not connected unless it's voicemail

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me explain what happened to us with a UK vodafone in Spain.

You make a call to the UK and connect to the other party OK. You are going through a Spanish provider and then linking into the UK network. It is possible for the link to be dropped and then reconnected so fast that you don't even know it's happened. Every time the line drops then they (Vodafone) charge you again for the reconnection charge on the same call. You only know this when you get your bill that you need to take out a second mortgage on.

What I did was to cancel my dd so no payment was made (this really gets their attention!!!) and carry on using the phone. I refused to pay the overcharge element; they got the debt collectors in and I said "bring it on baby". I explained the situation to the Debt Collectors and said that if they sent me another letter I'll go small claims court and name the CEO of Vodafone (UK). Vodafone looked at the bill and then agreed to settle on my statement of what the bill ought to be.

boatmike

Visit site

Thank you for that Steve. You obviously have a history with Vodafone and there appears to have been a fundamental problem at the bottom of it. It is interesting that when you stood your ground Vodafone eventually backed down. Pity you have to have such a face off between two parties before a negotiated settlement is reached but I guess thats the way the world is today.
The only thing I would argue with is "you only know this when you get your bill"
This is obviously the case when you are on a contract as you seem to have been.
In my case I don't use my phone a lot even in the UK and am on "pay as you go". I generally don't have more than £20 at a time on credit and can check my balance at the end of every call to see how much it has cost me. In these circumstances I won't get any surprises and certainly won't need to take out a mortgage to pay for it. If it works out to be expensive I shall simply go ashore and find a phone box!

finnlou

Visit site
Re: vodafone passport

[ QUOTE ]
PSS Many of my elderly, technophobe friends, don't know their mobiles have a texting facility, and seldom even turn the mobile on (regarding it as a means of emergency communication). Berating them for their lack of communicative concern, on returning to the UK, always puts me in a usefully coercive position on the moral high ground.

[/ QUOTE ] As a computer programmer with 20+ years experience, I would not consider myself to be a technophobe, however my view on mobile phones is the same, infact only two people know my number, if I go on holiday, it is for a holiday not so that everyone can still phone me whenever they like.

boatmike

Visit site
Re: vodafone passport

Totally agree. I'm not a "technophobe" or a "technoweenie" either. "Elderly" sounds a bit like a negative attitude to anyone over 60 too. Hello! I am 63 and Altzheimers has not set in just yet young man! A phone is just a phone. I don't spend hours on the b thing at home so why should I abroad?
Only giving your number to people you want to call you is fundamental.... Agree entirely!

charles_reed

Visit site

<<Dont know how well it works for me as I am not yet abroad....
Don't see why it should not do exactly as it says though.>>

It's not really any good for PAYG UK customers - it's aimed at those who have a bundle such as Anytime 200. It means they can use their UK bundle when abroad for a 75p surcharge for each call.

<<I will look at the missed calls thing but don't see how they can charge for a call not connected unless it's voicemail. In that case I think it's clear that they would>>

Try it and see but I think you'll find the 75p surcharge is added to each call for the priveledge of having the call transferred - so not only does it apply to voicemail but to ANY attempted call. My contacts inside Vodafone found the instructions so murky that they are confused.

<<If you do this it seems to me that it makes it reasonable to stay with Vodafone unless like some you are naturally prejudiced against them. Personally I have no axe to grind. Just thought others who had never heard of it might like to check it out. >>

Vodafone are the market leaders world-wide in mobile, Passport has been rolled out as either Vodafone Homezone, Travel Promise or Passport in 44 countries. In all 44 countries (unless they are seeking to break into the market) the Vodafone company's tariffs are amongst the 3 most expensive. Not for nothing do market leaders make 8% more profit than the also-rans.
The benefit only works for calls from mobiles on the Vodafone or associate network, so the prices of calls from landlines could be frightening (even if you have no care for the others' bill they might develop a prejudice against you).
I use Vodafone in the UK, they are offering the most seamless world-wide service, but at a considerable premium and watching the evolution of their pricing and marketing plans provokes a high degree of respect. The announcements are all steps in a gradual, dogged, fighting retreat from the astronomic prices and profits made on international roaming subscribers in the past.
These "reductions" are the minimum forced on them by competitive pressures in each of the local markets (in 42 their prices are lower than the UK).

boatmike

Visit site

Charles,
Sorry but you still don't make your point very well.
Could you please be as clear as possible re: the following
1. Why is it no good for PAYG customers? What have I missed please? I pay a 75p charge like anybody else for connection then pay the same as I do now in the UK to talk.
2. Do you actually know what the charges are from a UK landline or are you making an assumption that they will be "astronomical"?

charles_reed

Visit site

If you have a UK PAYG SIM you pay the standard £0.25p/min, even if you're on Smartstep or Smartplus. It's been designed for those on tariff such as Anytime, who'd lose their prepaid minutes if they're not used within the following month.

Charges from UK Landlines vary wildly depending on supplier, (BT, IDT, One-tel etc) and where the mobile being called may be. Indicative prices are from 0.21p/min to a more common £1.25/min

Passport only works within the following countries (taken from Vodafone website)

<<The same 75p connection fee applies. You can use Vodafone Passport on all of the following networks:

Albania Vodafone Albania
Australia Vodafone Australia
Belgium Proximus
France SFR
Germany Vodafone Germany
Greece Vodafone Greece
Hungary Vodafone Hungary
Ireland Vodafone Ireland
Italy Vodafone Italy
Japan Vodafone Japan
Malta Vodafone Malta
Netherlands Vodafone Netherlands
New Zealand Vodafone New Zealand
Portugal Vodafone Portugal
Spain Vodafone Spain
Sweden Vodafone Sweden
Switzerland Swisscom Mobile

Remember, if you use another network in these countries or call another country you'll pay your Vodafone World rates.

* Vodafone Passport is currently available on Perfect Fit price plans available as at May 1st 2005, 3G price plans, Smartplus and Smartstep.>>

Charges from UK Landlines vary wildly depending on supplier, (BT, IDT, One-tel etc) and where the mobile being called may be. Indicative prices are from 0.21p/min under very special rates to a more common £1.25/min

Far better (unless you're employed by Vodafone or have another undeclared interest) to suggest people look at VOIP phones in countries they are visiting where prices of about £0.008/min are current.

Mind you when the net is really busy it can be pretty frustrating trying to carrt on a conversation.

I'll reiterate - it's far cheaper to use a local mobile supplier SIM card to phone and be phoned, unless all your calls are to the UK and of greater duration than about 3 mins.
If you phone anywhere other than the UK you'll pay Vodafone International call-rate in addition to your £0.75
Additionally they're almost without exception cheaper than Vodafone for local and international calls.

Have a look at the Vodafone site - you'll find all the info there and you'll stop being confused, as long as you read the words and don't jump to conclusions

charles_reed

Visit site
Whoops

looks as though I've trodden on some sensibilities.

To answer:-
1. I'm sure, we can all appreciate your becoming a technophobe if you've been programming in C++
2. Surprised you bother to take your phone with you - not turning it on is entirely your decision - but surely it would be safer to leave it at home or even, save money, don't have one. Still I can appreciate that your fortnight a year is sacrosanct and your attendance in the biz is not critical.
3. The elderly technophobes, though younger then me, are all over 65.
4. the point i was trying to make is that texting is far more effective than voice, but that lack of knowledge, poor eyesight and arthritic joints can make it difficult. However giving up on learning new things, IMHO, is the first step towards the grave.