New roaming charges in Europe

boatmike

Visit site
The most Bizarre thing is that it was already cheaper at 16p per minute but it's now reducing to 4p with incoming calls being free and texts 1p....... Data is a bit more complex and can cost £3 per day but if you use a computer with WiFi (or your phone of course) this won't apply. I have not researched the French or Spanish SIMs cost but at this price for a UK SIM why bother?

Seven Spades

Visit site
I have just had a chat with Three. the two month limit has caused them huge problems because lots of people have holiday homes and lots switched to Three only to find them selves completely cut off so something is going to change. Most likely charges will kick in once you have used your allowance... The operator asked for as many people to give feed back because it is a hot topic and the more complaints the more likely it is to be resolved. She said that something would change. Here is the link:-

https://www.three.co.uk/Contact_us/Email_us

If you select

Pay monthly

Using the phone abroad

Other

Then a start "webchat" button appears and you will be connected to an operator. I made the point that people do not want to be disconnected for any reason, in a worse case scenario they would rather pay charges then be cut off. People often spend 3-4 months away in the summer so Three is not an option for them if you persist in cutting them off 100%.

boatmike

Visit site
I visited 3 shop in Fareham and was told 2 months. No question of it changing.... In any case taking your UK allowance of minutes to Europe means you still pay UK rates that are higher than Vodafone are they not?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I have just had a chat with Three. the two month limit has caused them huge problems because lots of people have holiday homes and lots switched to Three only to find them selves completely cut off so something is going to change. Most likely charges will kick in once you have used your allowance... The operator asked for as many people to give feed back because it is a hot topic and the more complaints the more likely it is to be resolved. She said that something would change. Here is the link:-

https://www.three.co.uk/Contact_us/Email_us

If you select

Pay monthly

Using the phone abroad

Other

Then a start "webchat" button appears and you will be connected to an operator. I made the point that people do not want to be disconnected for any reason, in a worse case scenario they would rather pay charges then be cut off. People often spend 3-4 months away in the summer so Three is not an option for them if you persist in cutting them off 100%.

Been there, done that and had £50 back for hassle. But Three still said that 2 full calendar months in rolling 12 month period applies for "Feel at Home" destinations. I was simply using credit on Pay & Go as they'd initially advised me that would be OK. It wasn't, no warning about suspension of service and completely impossible to get it restored.

Three must be well aware of it and I followed it through the complaints procedure. The body handling the complaint have no power to do anything Three don't want to do. I was going to bring it up with Ofcom but ran out of time in UK. Happy with £50 but was worried other providers would start to introduce arbitrary time limits. Good to know Vodafone SIM has no limit as that's what I'm currently using in Spain.

Heckler

Visit site
You could look at EE. I have a contract which enables me to use my UK unlimited minutes and text anywhere in Europe including back to the UK
I threatened to leave EE last year at renewal so they gave me the same, great when Im in Portugal, can phone anywhere in Europe with my 500 mins. I tried for the data as well but they wouldnt go that far!
Stu

charles_reed

Visit site
Wow, that's expensive. My UK PAYG Vodafone is currently 16 pence per minute to make calls and 4 pence per minute to receive (I'm in Greece). It is more expensive to use it in the UK!

I got thoroughly annoyed with Vodafone's attempts to outsmart me with their bundles (in UK).
I'd already done a careful C/B analysis and decided with the EC ruling on voice roaming charges a local SIM for the 6/12 I'm in Greece was without economic sense.
So I changed from Vodafone (with whom I'd been for 26 years), who were trying to charge me £0.24/min, to GiffGaff, the do-it-yourself UK mobile provider. On voice-calls UK £0.09 and Greece £0.15/min. Receipt is a one-off £0.04p for each call received. Data and messaging even more economically viable. UK coverage, using O2 network is marginally less extensive than Vodafone, in Greece, guesting on Cosmote, it has been significantly better.
I only use smartphone data sparingly - but on the boat I need about 3.5Gb/month for my laptop.
I found both Cosmote and Vodafone, engaged in a "price-war" were equally willing to let me have 5Gb for €15/month. Cosmote won as they threw in a 4G modem.
I'm afraid that, like banks, mobile companies are indulging in "margin enhancement by small print exclusions".
I was, at first, under the impression that mobile providers could not charge more in EC countries than their standard charges in the UK - in fact this is not the case, they're allowed to make "comparable" charges, which might be the £0.05 another poster this to be the statutory maximum, but in my case is £0.06p.

charles_reed

Visit site
My wife has a Tescomobile pay monthly UK contract but I'm not sure what plan it is. As we are off to Greece on Monday I checked with them re their roaming charges in Greece. £0.16/min to make calls; £0.04/min to receive calls; £0.05 per text and £0.17 per MB for data. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Like GiffGaff they piggy-back, in UK, on O2 and costs look very similar, about £0.01 more on each item/min. I'm assuming they will guest on Cosmote (if WIND coverage will be limited).
One must be aware that on all these "cheap" networks,you'll be the first to be "dropped" if their local cells get busy. Have a look at

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/networks/

However there will be no substitute for careful research: - offers come and go like snow in summer and there is no compulsion on providers to put you on their new "best" tariff.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I was at a Vodafone shop today and was told unofficially that VF will announce new, much lower tariffs at the end of April. My informant said that this will make considerable differences to costs throughout Europe. I deferred going to a new tariff until the announcement.

boatmike

Visit site
Its on their website if you look hard for it. Most VF people are not very knowledgeable of what will happen and give conflicting advice. Pretty poor customer service but I can't find a better deal elsewhere.