New roaming charges in Europe

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I think you have missed the point. Several mobile suppliers only support roaming for a limited time, then they cut you off regardless of the volume or pattern of use. Even if you only keep your phone for emergencies usage over longer than that period results in them cutting service. With the new lower cost roaming charges that EEC has bullied them into they are more likely to avail themselves of this get out clause than before.

I have had a contract Vodafone phone throughout my 12 years in the Mediterranean, used occasionally for texts and calls back to UK during our six months or so out of UK. VF have never cut me off or said they would. That was with a phone only, no data, so hope it will continue to be the case with my new contract.

RobbieW

Visit site
... VF have never cut me off or said they would. That was with a phone only, no data, so hope it will continue to be the case with my new contract.

Just be aware that your new contract may include Voda's new roaming deal, see link above. If it does I think you run the risk of disconnection unless there is an explicit opt out

Jamesuk

Visit site
Hmm, most folk when they are away are far more interested in data than voice/text (well I am anyway)

You say that now but in 2013 when in Croatia after a lightning strike in the 3 weeks that followed my mobile provider showed that I had used 1800 minutes. (a lot of phone calls to Mastervolt, Raymarine, Perkins, Enwa etc etc) I had a fixed rate back then with EE at £41 per month with new iPhone 5. I was calling all over Europe as well as back to the UK. It never cost me more than £41 per month.

Today knowing how good the contract is I have reduced the cost to £29 (inc vat) per month Sim only 30 day rolling and have upped Data in the UK to 12.5gb per month (super fast too) In Europe I get to buy an add on for data £2 (usually £3 (discounted due to my 2013 plan)) Roaming plan for 500mb. The speed is very fast. The hassle of speaking to Vodafone where ever I might be is such a drag so choose not to do it.

While in the UK I have a £28 for 32gb plan (using right now) with 5 days to go I have 8gb left.

So to the OP - look at EE, It is flexible with SIM only "Extra" plans 30 days or 12 months. Always go with 30 days to start with I find.

boatmike

Visit site
So to the OP - look at EE, It is flexible with SIM only "Extra" plans 30 days or 12 months. Always go with 30 days to start with I find.

Thanks for that James. If you read my previous post though I am in effect with EE already. My Virgin contract uses EE. Having finally managed to get roaming switched on and been assured by Virgin that my UK contract at £5 per month will allow roaming for an unlimited time and phone home will only cost 4p per minute over and atop this £5 I think I will just stick with it and see. I frankly don't trust what I am told by Vodafone as no two representatives have the same story....

DaveRo

Visit site
...I am in effect with EE already. My Virgin contract uses EE...
Virgin may use EE's network but they don't share any aspects of customer service - prices, contract terms, etc. Only the geographical coverage is common.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I thought I'd try Vodafone after problems I'd had with Three cutting us off last year. However, it sounds as if the same thing may happen with Vodafone but at least the costs have dropped since last year.

Now slightly confused by texts from Vodafone since arriving in Spain.

I had a text in Spain on 19th April: Calls 16p/min, receive 4p/min, Texts 5p

Thought I'd then had a text after 30th April to say: Calls 4p/min, receive free, Texts 1p, Data 4p/MB
I probably deleted that one (or imagined it) but their Web-site still confirms these charges.
However, the webpage also says "These charges will change from 23rd July" but doesn't give details.

I had a text today stating: I'm in Europe Zone 1, Calls 9.6p/min, receive 0.8p/min, Texts 4.3p, Data 4p/MB

To be honest, I don't use the phone much and was happy to pay roaming charges without risk of being cut off. I had a Vodafone SIM in the boat alarm system outside UK for years with no problem.

I worried that Three's 2 month limit was a tactic they'd all use eventually. The EU commission had recognised that expended use abroad would be a problem and suggested imposing a 10% surcharge after a few months. That sounded fine but I don't think it was ever taken forward.

Perhaps I should have followed up my complaint via Ofcom but ran out of time and just took the money offered by Three for the hassle I'd had last year.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I received the same Europe Zone 1 text when I arrived in Greece 10 days ago. No idea why it and the website differ so much but, as you, I don't phone home a lot and use a Greek SIM in another phone for local calls.

Richard10002

Visit site
Just been to Spain and have a Giffgaff goodybag, (£10 per month recurring). Made a 16 minute call home one day, and received an 8 minute call from home. Also made some calls to Spanish numbers. Didn't notice any serious impact on my credit.

Seems that, with a goodybag, it's 4ppm to call Uk/EU, 1.5p per text, and 4p per Mb data. Without a goodybag, it's 15ppm to call eu/UK, 5p per text, and 5p per Mb.

On a backup phone I have a Three PAYG SIM, so bought a 1 month £25 add on which gave 12gb Feel at Home roaming data, (I think). Used it quite a bit for info and maps. Excellent and very useful. Turned roaming off on our main Giffgaff phones.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Just spent some time on the phone with an EE advisor & after checking up the line he said that you will be cutoff after 30 days roaming use if you dont use the phone in the UK. This applies to phone & SIM plans from 28th October 2015 & after 27th April 2016. I didnt ask about PAYG.

I reckon if they do this there are going to be a lot of unhappy folks out there & a lot of customer churn generated. Time will tell.

I am ok as long as i continue to stay on my older plan, albeit I am overpaying.

RAI

Visit site
Orange just cheerfully emailed its customers to announce the reduction of EU roaming charges and a corresponding increase in rest-of-world charges. Local PAYG SIMs work for me, especially with VOIP.

Jamesuk

Visit site
Orange just cheerfully emailed its customers to announce the reduction of EU roaming charges and a corresponding increase in rest-of-world charges. Local PAYG SIMs work for me, especially with VOIP.

I have a deal with EE that allows me to use my phone in the EU like I am in the UK which no other carrier seems to be able to achieve today or for the past 4 years. £30 Unlimited mins, texts and 12.5gb of data. The data is not included in the EU

Richard10002

Visit site
I have a deal with EE that allows me to use my phone in the EU like I am in the UK which no other carrier seems to be able to achieve today or for the past 4 years. £30 Unlimited mins, texts and 12.5gb of data. The data is not included in the EU

If the data isnt included in the EU, it's doesnt seem to be "like you are in the UK". Threes Feel at Home is more like being in the UK, as the data is useable, but you cant tether, (or at least I couldnt last week in Spain)

SteveSarabande

Visit site
If the data isnt included in the EU, it's doesnt seem to be "like you are in the UK". Threes Feel at Home is more like being in the UK, as the data is useable, but you cant tether, (or at least I couldnt last week in Spain)
Tethering worked fine for me last week on an ipad sim only deal