New Q class to be built by Spirit Yachts, launching in 2026 to celebrate the centenary of the class.

SaltyC

Visit site
I can see their yard from where my boat is berthed. Or, to put it another way, they can see my boat from where they build boats. I’ve often thought they’ve drawn a lot of inspiration from my boat, and yet do I get a mention in their brochures? Do I hell.
Justice? Not in this world, mate.
Hard world. Their yachts look gorgeous, I just wish I could afford the leather covered stainless steel gunwhale fender hangers with cleats, avoids having to decide between round turns and clove hitches.

Frogmogman

Visit site
A new classic yacht by Spirit Yachts will follow the lines of an original Q class yacht (smaller sister to the J class). This is for an American owner who already owns Q7. Spirit Yachts were chosen as the builder due to their expertise in modern wood yacht building.

Spirit Yachts commissioned to build Q Class
Wow. Exciting news, great that Spirit’s reputation is getting them builds like this.

ashtead

Visit site
Should you be browsing Nazgûl is a favourite Spirit -easily sailed by 4 around the Med etc . There was for a while a smaller one for sale at Berthon - it had the fender hangers etc but rarely seemed to move.

fredrussell

Visit site
There’s a chap near me with a very similar boat to Chiara’s example. He mounts his OB on the side of the boat next to where he’s sitting in cockpit. It’s a torqueedo, so light enough to lift it off before he gets sailing, leaving no visible bracket (not sure how though). Nice setup, though obvs not as efficient as having OB on the centreline. On narrow hulls such as these that track well (I assume) maybe not too bad a solution.

Incidentally, that boat is my bane. It’s same length overall as mine, with about two thirds my WLL and he just disappears ahead once sails are hoisted. I think it may be a Dragon, but couldn’t be sure.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Agreed, but how else are you going to do it? I can't help thinking that taking a jigsaw to that hull to make an outboard well would be a worse crime.

I suppose the real solution is for your tender to follow you and tow you into harbour.
We will take off the outboard bracket. My baby Novurania RIB will do duty as chase boat.