New owner: current cost of diesel?

watson1959

Visit site
Morning all....I hope to complete the purchase of my first boat on the Thames during the coming week.

Now that the initial burst of excitement has settled to a realistic view of the practicalities, can anyone advise the current cost of diesel and best place to buy in and around Reading/Wargrave/Henley?

Also, are there more cost-effective ways to buy safely from non-marina sources (I've seen earlier postings about using farm suppliers)?

Probably a million more questions brewing but I will try to keep the subjects separate so I dont create havoc :)

Regards

Simon

TrueBlue

Visit site
Reading; two choices:-

Thames and Kennet Marina said to enforce their own rule 60/40. Against HMRCs definition of the scheme which is of self declaration. I wish someone would "shop" them and get a slapped wrist from HMRC, but I don't think anyone anywhere gives a tinker's cuss.

Better Boating (twixt T&K and Caversham Lock). Follows the rules; you declare, he sets the price.

Wargrave: Val Wyatt's - though I can't see where the supply is made from

Henley: Hobbs have a pump sandwiched between the dayboats and the booze cruisers. Looks suitable only for small boats. Expensive.

Note One of the hire boat companies On (? Fry's) Island after the Lock sells fuel, but you have to dodge their hire boats - I've never noticed anyone filling up there.

Pricing is fluctuating wildly at the moment.

watson1959

Visit site
Thanks for the detail.....as I'm likely to be moored in Reading area (VW or T&K) it looks like T&K or Better Boating.

Would you mind explaining the comment 'you declare'? Does this relate to the heating/propulsion issue and does the price at the pump therefore change?

Apologies for such fundemental questions as this is probably second nature to you....and I hate working in the dark (the control-freak in me!!

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks for the detail.....as I'm likely to be moored in Reading area (VW or T&K) it looks like T&K or Better Boating.

Would you mind explaining the comment 'you declare'? Does this relate to the heating/propulsion issue and does the price at the pump therefore change?

Apologies for such fundemental questions as this is probably second nature to you....and I hate working in the dark (the control-freak in me!!

Regards other sources.You are not allowed to use any fuel in your boat that has not had the correct rate of duty added.You do so at your own risk.It is illegal to supply or use fuel knowing that an attempt to avoid paying correct duty is being made. You can buy from any source ie local garage/central heating supplier/fallen offf the back of a tractor etc,but the tax must have been charged and paid with a receipt issued.:)

Last edited:

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
"Declaring" is where you state the ratio of Heating use to Engine use and pay tax on the portions appropriately.

This therefore varies from the boats that never go anywhere (most of the Thames boats!) so its all "Heating" to those without heaters, so everything is Engine.

Martin

watson1959

Visit site
heaven forbid....wouldnt dream of limiting the duty I pay to HMRC, pooor things.....never never never. My life seems dedicated to funding the national debt.

So: buy from the cheapest legal source possible.

Many thanks

Simon

apollo

Visit site
Best to go where the narrowboats go as those suppliers tend to be more "amenable" over what ratio you want to pay...

Surprised there is not more global warming over the Thames with the amount of "Heating" going on....

He he..

watson1959

Visit site
Brayman: I did notice that. Is this to compensate for over-indulgence at local curry houses or a euphemism for some other kind of personal service that's provided?

Either way....sounds inteersting. Personally I would be delighted to receive 5 free pumpouts a year....must have a word with my wife about the possibilities.

Bassplayer

Visit site
Brayman: I did notice that. Is this to compensate for over-indulgence at local curry houses or a euphemism for some other kind of personal service that's provided?

Either way....sounds inteersting. Personally I would be delighted to receive 5 free pumpouts a year....must have a word with my wife about the possibilities.

Ahh, this is for those forumites who think they can manage without bowel thrusters....

Timothy

Visit site
Most expensive!

I was at Abingdon at the weekend and walked over to King Craft to ask the price and type of Diesel (how much bio and sulphur?). " What ever the supplier sends us, we don't know and they don't tell us" was the answer. How about cost? £1.35 per litre on 60/40 split!!!!!!!!!!!!!!