New Kas Marina, Turkey

Petronella

Visit site
We have just arrived at the brand new marina at Kas and are really impressed with the whole set-up here. The prices they are asking for this year seem pretty good to us, the place is just about finished and the facilities will be first class. Just one slight concern - has anyone any experience of what it is like to be in this bay when the waves are really pounding in? There is a new concrete wave-breaking wall protecting the marina that goes half way aross the bay and we have been told that there has been no problem so far. Opinions appreciated.

pmyatt

Visit site
We have just arrived at the brand new marina at Kas and are really impressed with the whole set-up here. The prices they are asking for this year seem pretty good to us, the place is just about finished and the facilities will be first class. Just one slight concern - has anyone any experience of what it is like to be in this bay when the waves are really pounding in? There is a new concrete wave-breaking wall protecting the marina that goes half way aross the bay and we have been told that there has been no problem so far. Opinions appreciated.

We are there at the moment. The marina is, for the present time, FREE to all visitors. This is because they do not yet have their operations licence. They also give you €5 of electricity FREE, but once that has run out you can't buy any more. Visited here last November and the pontoons were perfectly safe in a Force 5 - don't know what it would be like with more wind, but the local boatyard says it is safe.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The only experience I can relate is that I stayed in a villa on the penninsular overlooking the marina bay, when the sea breeze kicks in it was strong enough to move substantial furniture about and take 12" of water out of the swimming pool:eek: but we were considerably higher up than the water. I guess it will be safe but bouncy for an hour or two:D Kas is a nice place we are back in August / September so it will be interesting to see the effect that new Kas is having on the old town, hopefully not to much.

BlackSheep1

Visit site
kas

Kas is a small town and very touristy in the summer months. The marina although I have not berthed in it is new and looks sheltered enough, the concrete mole helps with that. We have however moored our boat stern too to the rocks opposite the marina a couple of times and we found it quite swelly with strong W winds, this brings in a bit of a surge and the sea has no where to go as it is a dead end just passed the Marina. We noted the boats moored over in the marina were rolling about a bit but as already stated seemed safe. I cant imagine much of a live aboard community untill the Marina is established, this takes time for the word to get around and the prices have to be reasonable.

bjvarley

alixora.posterous.com
What's it like now that winter is upon us? Many liveaboards? Is the town open or dead?
We are liveaboards in Kas Marina having arrived about 2 weeks ago. As mentioned above it is pretty quiet. There are a few German/Dutch people around and one Brit at the end of our pontoon, but as yet no social life. However there is an active expat community in town (German and UK), with a dinner for the UK crowd at Kirsten's cafe every Friday night - I went to one last night and it was very enjoyable. I managed to get some info on how to get around and a couple of recommendations on car hire etc, and hopefully will get on the mailing list so I can ask more questions as they come up. Kas is a lovely town, plenty of shops including chandlers, and many of the restaurants and bars are still open, so it isn't too quiet. The ferry to Kastellorizon (Meis) is every Friday but a bit pricey. (about £16 return) and you have to give up your passport, then wait an hour or so on return to get it back.
It was a bit bouncy with a strongish easterly a week or so ago, but no experience yet of westerlies.
PM if you need any more info
Rosemary
S.Y. Alixora

johngas

Visit site
Hello everyone,

We just visited Kas Marina and were very disapointed with the pricing and attitude of the people there. The cost was 267 USD for 2 nights - (We had 47 foot CAT), then they nickel and dime you for using the pool, and getting water and electricity.

FORGET ABOUT IT!! Real bummer.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hello everyone,

We just visited Kas Marina and were very disapointed with the pricing and attitude of the people there. The cost was 267 USD for 2 nights - (We had 47 foot CAT), then they nickel and dime you for using the pool, and getting water and electricity.

We had five nice days anchor oppsit the Marina ,which didn't cost us any thing , easy walk into town , we did visit the Marina to see a new friend who's berth there but can't comment much on it other then to say , if has a free DIY pump out and we did try and leave the dinghy in the Marina to walk to the town but was stop by the staff and told we could use the bar , the resturant and the shop in the Marina but could leave the Marina to go into town , ok fair enough ,. Thier lost has we was planning to go into there bar for a drink and use there super maker . , last comment the Marina looks safe and the security looks very good .

Borden

Visit site
Hello everyone,

Johngas
You've obvoiusly found Another marina calling itself Kas. I've been in the Setur marina at Kas since October 2014 and can't fault it. Your quote for mooring fees seems to be exceptional and bears no resemblance to the quote I obtained last week of 36Euros per day (buy three days get fourth day free) admittedly based on mono hull 11.5 x 3.5 for one Vic of this parish. As you'll have seen from his post he chose to anchor in the bay but was free to use the Marina's facilities including the free pump out at the fuel dock.
As for water and electric, the charges at Kas marina are on a par with most marinas. Again Vic, who has much wider experience of these things than I, can verify.
As for charging for the pool. Here I really believe that either you've not been there or you're writing about a different place. Marina users have free use of the pool and beach at the Doria Hotel which is within the marina complex. You'll have to pay for your drinks though. You weren't expecting to get free drinks were you?

As for shelter which was mentioned earlier in the thread. Kas Marina is located in a long and well sheltered inlet which is only open to the west. The Marina boat yard and town of Kas is at the eastern end of the inlet. There is a dog leg on the approach from the west and high land protecting the Marina from westerly wind and swell. The strong winds come down from the east but as there is no distance for the wind to fetch over water these don't create any swell.
Our 15m mono spent last winter afloat. The Marina staff are very efficient and do an excellent job of tightening up both head ropes and stern ropes whether you're staying overnight or for the winter so there's no chance of bouncing off the pontoons. My experience of the Marina staff is that they are friendly, professional and helpful. The same goes for everyone working in the various businesses within the Marina, this includes supermarket, laundry and chandlery.
Two weeks ago I witnessed one yacht owner who seemd to gain some satisfaction from being unpleasant and downright rude to a young lady in the Marina office. She responded to his tirade with total professionalism.

In my opinion Kas Marina is one of the very best I've been in and over the past eight years and I've travelled the Med from the Straits.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Johngas
You've obvoiusly found Another marina calling itself Kas. I've been in the Setur marina at Kas since October 2014 and can't fault it. Your quote for mooring fees seems to be exceptional and bears no resemblance to the quote I obtained last week of 36Euros per day (buy three days get fourth day free) admittedly based on mono hull 11.5 x 3.5 for one Vic of this parish. As you'll have seen from his post he chose to anchor in the bay but was free to use the Marina's facilities including the free pump out at the fuel dock.
As for water and electric, the charges at Kas marina are on a par with most marinas. Again Vic, who has much wider experience of these things than I, can verify.
As for charging for the pool. Here I really believe that either you've not been there or you're writing about a different place. Marina users have free use of the pool and beach at the Doria Hotel which is within the marina complex. You'll have to pay for your drinks though. You weren't expecting to get free drinks were you?

As for shelter which was mentioned earlier in the thread. Kas Marina is located in a long and well sheltered inlet which is only open to the west. The Marina boat yard and town of Kas is at the eastern end of the inlet. There is a dog leg on the approach from the west and high land protecting the Marina from westerly wind and swell. The strong winds come down from the east but as there is no distance for the wind to fetch over water these don't create any swell.
Our 15m mono spent last winter afloat. The Marina staff are very efficient and do an excellent job of tightening up both head ropes and stern ropes whether you're staying overnight or for the winter so there's no chance of bouncing off the pontoons. My experience of the Marina staff is that they are friendly, professional and helpful. The same goes for everyone working in the various businesses within the Marina, this includes supermarket, laundry and chandlery.
Two weeks ago I witnessed one yacht owner who seemd to gain some satisfaction from being unpleasant and downright rude to a young lady in the Marina office. She responded to his tirade with total professionalism.

In my opinion Kas Marina is one of the very best I've been in and over the past eight years and I've travelled the Med from the Straits.
WHAT you got to pay for the drinks , my god that's an outrage .

johngas

Visit site
Johngas
Hello to Borden,

It seems you got a different rate as long term. (oct 2014). again was about 212 Euros 2 nights WITHOUT electricity or water.

We stayed 2 nights, and so my concern is for those wishing to pass into the beautiful town of Kas, without paying a large fee. Option as a previous writer is to anchor off. A bit of a shame. There most certainly is a shelter form the wind problem - well known - BUT fortunately wind died down at night for us. It is most DEFINITELY NOT SHELTERED during the day, as the wind blew around in the CAT around 4:30 pm arrival. As i stated everything else was extra - even the beach/pool if you were a short termer. Indeed you could "sneak in" through the hotel - but why after paying such high fees. Note - it is June 22 and we were there June 19,20 (2015). Again I agree it is very modern, good bar great music, but I would never replace it with the warm smile off the pier at (Hassan Deniz) Kale Koy in Kekova Straits the following night with water and electricity AT NO CHARGE - just had to eat at their restaurant...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Johngas
The rate Borden give you was for a three night stay , we still have the Marina price list , off cause like most places now water and power is exter , Borden he was kind enough to go out of his way and get me the price ,, real gentlemen , it funny how everyone seen things in a different way , we anchored by the fishing boat right in the corner we had no problem at all and just 10 mins we was in the centre of the town , on Friday and a 5 min walk and we was in the market , by the way a great market . It a shame you didn't drop your hook in that spot .
Not sure if you was there last Friday but there was a blow and there was White horse in the bay but we didn't get any of it and maily because we was well tucked in the Marina looked fine from where we was . Has it happen five other yacht turned up on Friday looking to shelter in the bay , unluck for them had the best spot , but they where fine any way . We was only saying while there , it would be a great spot to winter out on anchor if there was a group of boats .
Any way enjoy your new spot , enjoy Turkey , we think it great and will be sorry to leave when our visa finishes

Last edited:

Borden

Visit site
Johngas

Johngas.
I'm still convinced you're not referring to the same place.

"It seems you got a different rate as long term. (oct 2014). again was about 212 Euros 2 nights WITHOUT electricity or water."
Vic has replied to this point. The quote was for three days, with a fourth day provided free. Vic has also clarified the location and safety of the free anchorage.

"As i stated everything else was extra - even the beach/pool if you were a short termer. Indeed you could "sneak in" through the hotel - but why after paying such high fees."
It's this statement that I find difficult to reconcile with the Kas Marina that I use. There is no check on the credentials of any visitors to the hotel with its pool and beach. Specifically you say that "you could sneak in through the hotel" in fact that is the only way in, the same way that all hotel and marina guests access the pool and the beach. There is no "sneaking" necessary or possible as this route takes you past all of the hotel, bar and pool staff.

laika

Visit site
The price doubt thing is easy enough to resolve:
http://www.kasmarina.com.tr/en/index.php?page=fiyatlar
Seems they do it by area so yes, looking pretty darned pricey for a 14-and-a-bit metre cat. In fact even for my boat (12m mono) looking like solent prices. Wonder how wage and land costs around Kas compare with south hampshire.

Last time I was there the "marina" was a strip of concrete we tied up alongside with a pack of feral dogs running about at night but ISTR the anchorage was pretty sheltered

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We don't use marinas in the summer but we wanted a base for a few days to go off with friends inland so we ask Borden if he could be kind enough to get us a price , I think the price is about right for. Most Marina this time of year if any thing a bit cheaper then most , we offen ask prices just to keep us in touch with what's going on and to info others we expect to be told any thing from 40 to 55 euros this time of year , some a lot more , Turkey isn't cheap any more guys , rich yachtie have put a stop to that .

Achray

Visit site
Hi we have been moored in Marti marina marmaris for last 10yrs, But thinking of moving to kas, as have been given a good price for 1yr contract. Any info on the marina would be helpful. What is the winter weather like & are the moorings ok in heavy winds? Are there local bays nearby worth visiting? What are the marina bar & local prices.