New furling system for small cruiser

Refueler

Visit site
I read some posts and I wonder where they get their bias from ...

Normal line system ... the only time you have coils of furling line are when sail is furled up ... when sailing and sail is in use - you should only have a few feet necessary to be able to pull and furl.
When sail is furled - that line is easily sorted and hung from the winch or cleat.

High loads ? The load on line would be similar whether normal or endless line system ... how the torque is applied is the factor of course.

I've used endless ... normal ... and electric .... which is my preferred ? None actually - as they perform their jobs and that's the important factor.

Back to original post - I've suggested checking out the existing setup - find out really why its giving problems .... the 406 is so simple - it should go on for decades ...

steve yates

Visit site
I read some posts and I wonder where they get their bias from ...

Normal line system ... the only time you have coils of furling line are when sail is furled up ... when sailing and sail is in use - you should only have a few feet necessary to be able to pull and furl.
When sail is furled - that line is easily sorted and hung from the winch or cleat.

High loads ? The load on line would be similar whether normal or endless line system ... how the torque is applied is the factor of course.

I've used endless ... normal ... and electric .... which is my preferred ? None actually - as they perform their jobs and that's the important factor.

Back to original post - I've suggested checking out the existing setup - find out really why its giving problems .... the 406 is so simple - it should go on for decades ...
All good points and I may actually end up doing just that. If the budget is there though I would replace it simply to get a bigger diameter furling line for using in strong winds.
That I would consider a major advantadge.

Reactions: srm