New French Travel Rules.

Sailfree

Visit site
French edict dated 28/12/2021.

If you are a UK citizen you cannot travel through France to reach your country of residence but you can if you are a EU citizen.

We usually take the opportunity when visiting UK to visit a couple whom we met through sailing some 30yrs ago (also a formite) that live in Brittany. No longer possible under new rules.

We are residents of Portugal. Its getting more important with post Brexit attitudes to take out dual nationality if possible. I will pay for Portuguese nationality once eligible in 2yrs time providing my Portuguese language skills are adequate.

Fortunately in December we visited UK bringing the last one of our UK cars back so we now have all our UK cars in UK and all our Portuguese cars in Portugal!

At present Spain is allowing travel through Spain to reach Portugal for UK citizens but the situation needs to be monitored.

Posted this as an update Travel Advice and while the French are treating EU nationals that are resident in other countries differently to a UK citizen resident in other countries this is just a post Brexit fact of life not meant for discussion.

Note that at the height of the Pandemic Portugal closed its border with Spain to non essential travellers. Hence "free movement" of EU citizens was restricted for the more important health reasons.

In last 5yrs it was very useful to take boating bits to Portugal in estate car but fortunately for us everything now in Portugal with boat in Nazare marina

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
Pompey to Santander and Bilbao by ferry. (y)

Not so easy.

All seats fully booked on Santander route for January sailings - only a few cabins left. No ferries to Bilbao until later in year. Also Ferries not taking foot passengers so it would mean we have to take one of our UK cars back - just when we finally have all UK cars in UK and all Portuguese cars in Portugal!

Last flight Bournemouth to Lisbon on 8th Jan - we have booked on this. It appears Ryanair have suspended this route for rest of January - recomencing in February.

Last edited:

roblpm

Visit site
I'm not transiting til February 10th but it's not clear to me if I need a negative test as well as vaxxed to just change planes at CDG? Anyone know? I suppose Air France will know......

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I'm not transiting til February 10th but it's not clear to me if I need a negative test as well as vaxxed to just change planes at CDG? Anyone know? I suppose Air France will know......

From the link in my post #6

Whatever your nationality, you are permitted to travel through France via the international zone of an airport (connecting between two flights) for a maximum of 24 hours.

FWIW: my better half travelled from Vancouver to Brest last month - stops in Amsterdam and Paris CDG.
Whilst in transit in Amsterdam and Paris no-one enquired about tests.
She only had to submit proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test in Vancouver prior to boarding.

roblpm

Visit site
From the link in my post #6

FWIW: my better half travelled from Vancouver to Brest last month - stops in Amsterdam and Paris CDG.
Whilst in transit in Amsterdam and Paris no-one enquired about tests.
She only had to submit proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test in Vancouver prior to boarding.
Sure but maybe that is maybe because the airlines check it. The destinations never check it in my experience.

My final destination which is Colombia does not require a negative test. Just vax. So wondering if I need test for transit.

I will ask Air France!

st599

Visit site

It depends on if your ticket is a true transit ticket or 2 separate tickets. You need to contact the carrier to check the rules in force.