new boy

clarinettist

Visit site
Hi. Although I've lived and worked in Cardiff 20+ years I have never cruised the Bristol Channel. This season will be my first as a boat owner/skipper - any words of wisdom?

sarabande

Visit site
hello and welcome to the information centre of the nautical world.

Have you had a good look at the Bristol Channel section of the Frohum ? There are lots of guys and girls who know masses about the area, and who will hold your metaphorical hand if you wish. Wait a bit and a few will appear by magic.

Is it worth filling in a few more details on your bio page, so that the rest of the unwashed can have a bit of snoop at what you are sailing ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You could always start the ball rolling with a question as to what anchor is the best one for the region. Such enthusiasm for knowledge is always welcomed with lots of replies....

Oh yes, there even some quite good musicians on board. Dan Foley, the mutineer, sorry moderator, of this forum, will put up a section for people who can read scores by sight upside down in a F7 if you ask him nicely.

Gwylan

Visit site
Get the Blue book, learn to calculate the depth of water at any time and if you are sailing resign yourself to going where the tide is. Oh, and buy a good anchor and long warp
Wonderful place, miss it to bits

graham

Visit site
Welcome on the bristol Channel Forum.

Hard to offer any advice without knowing your experience and what type of boat you have. There are all sorts of boat owners on here from 4 knot yachts to 30 knot power boats.Whatever your into you should find someone similar on the forum.

Sneds

Visit site
[to 30 knot power]

Some even go faster that that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

buster3

Visit site
well come to the power look forward to seeing you out and about.I think I am one of the 30 knoters /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

graham

Visit site
Still cant offer any advice.Need to know if your Griffon is Bilgekeels or Fin. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Whichever she will be a good boat for around here. Swansea Watchet and Portishead Marinas can all be reached in a short day sail from Cardiff if you time the tides right.

Plenty of places you can dry out in the mud for an overnight stop or lean against a harbour wall.

The river Axe over at Weston is the home of Weston Bay YC they allow visitors to dry out in the mud alongside their pontoon. Its only 8 or 9 miles from Cardiff.Some interesting walks around the area and a couple of pubs and shops in the village. Enter the river about 1.5 hours before HW and unless its very small neap tides you will get alongside the pontoon.

Axe pontoons
010-7.jpg

Try and organize a sail over in company with us if you like.Theres plenty of room for the two boats on the pontoon.

clarinettist

Visit site
Thanks again. She's a bilge keeler so no probs drying out. The offer of sailing in company sounds great. She is still ashore so I'll let you know when we are afloat.
Cheers

aquila27

Between Chepstow and Newport, South Wales
Visit site
Hi - Hope you get off to good start in the Bristol Channel. I have sailed from St Pierre Pill (between the 2 bridges) since 1975, which even further up channel than Cardiff. It is the home of Chepstow and Dist YC. It may be of interest that we have just recieved recognition from the RYA for the Cruising Scheme practical courses, which we will be running from Swansea. I note you have your Day Skipper but when/if you wish to move onto Coastal Sk or YMO you may find our cost effective, club based scheme appealing. Info at cdyc.co.uk or yachtgrot.com