New Batteries on Princess V39 Quickly Discharge

mag040

Visit site
Hello together,
I have a Princess V39 2017, and my new batteries quickly discharge and then show a normal voltage of 12.5V when I toggle the "on" switch of the domestic batteries on the main panel. After a short time, the voltage drops again, but it returns to normal when I toggle the switch. Did anyone encounter a similar issue before? I would guess there is something wrong with the indicators or sensors, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Best, Max from Mallorca

KompetentKrew

Visit site
My initial reaction was to suggest fitting a Victron SmartShunt (or similar) to see what's really going on. This is surely always a good investment, but if I'm understanding correctly it may just be a problem with the voltage displayed on the meter by the chart table. Use a multimeter across the terminals of the battery - does the handheld multimeter show the same as the boat's voltmeter at each stage of your observations?

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Hello together,
I have a Princess V39 2017, and my new batteries quickly discharge and then show a normal voltage of 12.5V when I toggle the "on" switch of the domestic batteries on the main panel. After a short time, the voltage drops again, but it returns to normal when I toggle the switch. Did anyone encounter a similar issue before? I would guess there is something wrong with the indicators or sensors, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Best, Max from Mallorca
You don't say where, or from what, you are reading this voltage or what is switched when you toggle the switch. I would suspect that you have dodgy connection in that circuit.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hello together,

Best, Max from Mallorca
If it's the main battery switch that you are toggling, that operates a heavy duty relay. It sounds like there could be a bad contact across the relay contacts. You need to get this properly checked, it could cause a fire.

mag040

Visit site
Thank you, everyone! We checked it and it’s definitely the battery switch on the main panel.
We took it apart and it worked perfectly afterward. Now the problem is back. I try to order a new part.

best regards, max

Last edited: