need help.... the engine doesnt start

yegy

Visit site
hi
i m new in here and i want to ask a question that doesnt relate to a boat specifically but on an engine some boats has.
im asking about an engine some of you know but...it sits in an old 4x4 Dodge m 325
i m an old truck fan and every piece of information will help
its an indanar engine xdp 6 90 six cylinder that didnt start for about 20 years
i made some essential preperation like fuel system repair, changing all lubricants and filters, and rotate the engine very carefully at first.
the engine doesnt start, the timing is ok.
i tried also with starting spray and it doesnt start
is it well known that the first start is difficult in these engines for example after high pressure diesel pump repair?
is valve clearane is manual adjastment and if it is then what are the spcifications for it? inlet and exshaust?
thanks in advance
Ran

rafiki_

Visit site
hi
i m new in here and i want to ask a question that doesnt relate to a boat specifically but on an engine some boats has.
im asking about an engine some of you know but...it sits in an old 4x4 Dodge m 325
i m an old truck fan and every piece of information will help
its an indanar engine xdp 6 90 six cylinder that didnt start for about 20 years
i made some essential preperation like fuel system repair, changing all lubricants and filters, and rotate the engine very carefully at first.
the engine doesnt start, the timing is ok.
i tried also with starting spray and it doesnt start
is it well known that the first start is difficult in these engines for example after high pressure diesel pump repair?
is valve clearane is manual adjastment and if it is then what are the spcifications for it? inlet and exshaust?
thanks in advance
Ran

Yegy, a very warm welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have a bit of a challenge on your hands, but this really is not the right place. You will probably get a better reply if you post your request onto "The Lounge", which is for all posts/discussions non-boaty. We are really only supposed to post and discuss MotorBoat issues on this section, sorry. In any case, unless your engine type has been marinised, people on here are not likely to have any specific experience to help. Sorry again.

mtb

Visit site
if it's not firing on easy start going on the theory that it's not been run for some time then I'd say low compression caused by sticking rings. Unless it isn't turning over quick enough but if it's not there in front of you it is difficult to say as there are many things to check and test.
If you could I'd try putting oil in each cylinder then with a good battery and the injection system bled using easy start try starting it again, the oil will give a temp false compression perhaps enough to get it started. If you do get it running keep high revs and run for some time you may get lucky and the rings get unstuck

cheers
mick

robind

Visit site
As previously said check out that you are getting diesel to your injectors By disconnecting the feed pipe to the nearest one to the pump, and if so work on to the next etc. Also I would think that You should hear some diesel returning back into your tank from the bypass system if your pump is working OK and you are correctly blead through? If still no luck maybe remove the injectors and have them checked? you should be getting some, either unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust or partially burnt fuel or something as an indicator? Stuck rings as stated is a possibility,IMHO. Best of luck!

macnorton

Visit site
Its a 6 pot version of the md21, are you getting fuel at the injector?
If you are then rig a 24 volt (two batteries) to the starter motor and hold a burning oil soaked rag over the intake. That normally wakes them up!

yegy

Visit site
thanks for the replies
well sticky rings is realy a good possibility
i have fuel coming out of the injectors and i have smoke from the exhaust
i changed again the copper o rings of the injectors and polished there chasis because of compression leaks
i tried again today with spraying start spray but it sounds closer to start but still not
if i'l make the 24 volt trick with two baterries will the starter survive it, it suposed to work on 12v?

macnorton

Visit site
Copper rings should be heated to cherry red and allowed to air cool, this will soften them so they seal.
If the starter is in good order it should take 24v ok for a short time, don't. forget to disconnect the alternator as that won't take it.

yegy

Visit site
i tried with 24 volts and starting spray and the engine doesnt show any signs
i m going to check compression and back pressure compression and see if i have inside leaks
if i'll find a serious mechanical problem and i would like to open the engine, is it possibl to find a repair manual for this engine?
and is it possible to find parts like piston rings, Bearing etc..?