Nazi Goering's Glamour Yacht "CARIN II" Found Lying in Red Sea

C

Chrusty1

Re: Nazi Goering\'s Glamour Yacht \"CARIN II\" Found Lying in Red Sea

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have particularly bad taste, but checked with my wife just in case /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and we both think she has the makings of a very nice boat, and at 90ft I'm very tempted to get involved (if only I had the money) . Niether of us can understand what this hang up some people have is all about. So she was built for a senior German officer in WWII, so what, she's a nice boat and I wouldn't care if she was built for A.H. himself, I just see a nice boat
I do like the irony though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A senior german officer?.......you make him sound almost honourable. If you are inclined to do so, maybe have a read of this....

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/goering.html

Some people might find that wanting to be associated with, and to admire something connected with a piece of [--word removed--] like Hermann Goering, just a tad sick. Still what the heck, it was all a long time ago must be all of 63 years, and what does it matter that millions of people died?

Well actually to me, and I am sure to many others it matters a great deal. I am also sure that nothing I have to say will stop anybody trying to make a few quid out of restoring the bloody thing.

For me, restoring that boat is no different to collecting and wearing Nazi uniforms and insignia, still some people will try to attach credibility to all kinds of sick pursuits and pastimes, am I being intolerant here? Probably, but I think society is way too tolerant of all kinds of shite these days.

I expect that in truth, I am just a small voice in the wilderness, but it doesn't mean that I am wrong, does it?

Sneds

Visit site

Not wrong at all, and I empathise with your sentiments, I really do, but this is a boat not a Nazi simbol, just a boat.
Would you not visit Austria 'cos Hitler was born there, or Paris 'cos the "Germans" marched through the city?

C

Chrusty1

Hello Iain,

Just a boat?....I wish it was, then it would be a worthwhile project, but I fear that if it is restored, it will be sold on the basis that it was Hermann Goerings boat, and not that it is just a vintage motor boat. As it was Goerings boat it is very much a symbol, and for some sick twats, a very desirable symbol! Well look, I have said my piece, no point in rambling on about it.

Have a great day.

cliffordpope

Visit site

I don't think burning things because you don't like their owners, or consider the style "decadent" achieves very much.
The nazis were rather into that kind of thing themselves - Reichstag, books, people.

There was once a movement to hang the Kaiser, but I notice his yacht is now restored.

C

Chrusty1

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think burning things because you don't like their owners, or consider the style "decadent" achieves very much.
The nazis were rather into that kind of thing themselves - Reichstag, books, people.

There was once a movement to hang the Kaiser, but I notice his yacht is now restored.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind at all if you disagree with me. but inane comments like that serve nothing. If you can't or don't want to understand the symbolism attached to that boat, well what's to say really? I suppose that you might think it's ok, to collect and or restore just about anything because it is old or you consider it to be interesting? Do you really not see that for some people, to see that boat restored and swanning about the waters various, would be deeply offensive, and belittling of the suffering that that the Nazis perpetrated in WW2?

I said I wasn't going to say anymore about it, but I felt that for you to suggest that I was in someway as bad as the Nazis for suggesting that the thing would be better destroyed, is deeply offensive to me! With that, I have said all I am going to say.

cliffordpope

Visit site

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be offensive.
Someone famous once said, where they burn books, soon they will be burning people, and the nazis exemplified that only too well.
Burning symbols, if that is what it is, does not allay old inhumanities. In fact it often creates the very symbol you are concerned about. The nazis doubtless thought it was a smart move to burn the parliament building, but instead the pictures that went round the world created a lasting monument to the end of democracy.

Anyway, I'd change the name if it were my yacht.

C

Chrusty1

No problem Clifford /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.......as I said, I will leave it now.

ccscott49

Visit site

I dont think you have bad taste either, I think she would look fabulous, renovated, imagine all that varnish work looking gleaming and the topsides etc, refitted in style with sympathy she would look great!

Sixpence

Visit site

Exactly my thoughts too. I would also re-name her and try and lose the links to her former life, but she would make a really nice boat for someone with the time (I have plenty) and money (sadly lacking there) to return her to her former glory.

Seagreen

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
The BNP will probably put in an offer!

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Something along the lines of "sell to us for a fiver or we'll shove dog poo through yer letterbox..."
If the BNP did buy it, they'd cover it in cuprinol brown fence paint and the galley could only cook chips. You could run the engines on the methane from the bad beer, though..

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

starfire

Visit site

Nordwind, a KFK (Kreigsfishkutter) used as a sail training boat.

One of some 600 boats produced during WW2, most number of boats of one type produced by anyone during the war.

78 ft long, Hull 4cm oak on steel frames.
Used to have one.

No Regrets

Visit site

While on the subject of all those poor dead Jews, lets not exclude the millions of poor innocent people maimed by Christians, Catholics, Arabs, Africans, British, Romans and....oh, er, Jews...

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Alfie168

Visit site

If you visit Fort Paull on the Humber Estuary east of Hull you can gaze upon Herman Goering's death mask, and a brief summary of his crimes against humanity and his moral decline. He was from Rosenheim in Bavaria, which is a nice small town in the foothills of the Alps, been there a couple of times a long time ago...how shall I say..on 'romantic business' in my youth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wouldn't want his damned boat though frankly.

Tim

MASH

N/A
Visit site

Well, I've followed this extroardinary post for some time and cannot remain silent any longer.

It is clear that when cetain parts of history are discussed then no rationale will prevail which is a pity, but this is ludicrous!

A boat is a boat! A simple mechanical object. Who it belongs to, or belonged to, or who once used it is irrelevant, it is just a collection of steel and wood. It is a blameless inanimate object, and suggestions that it should be burned on acount of it's inadvertent part in history is as outrageous as suggesting that it's present or future owners are card-carrying members of the Nazi party. This is the "politics" (if I may so misuse the term) of hysteria, and utterly inappropriate to the subject in question.

Whether or not you chose to include Hermann Goering (not nasi goring, that is an Indonesian pork snack...) as one of the princilal evils of Nazism his yacht is nothing whatsoever to do with the argument, and those that demand it's destruction on account of it's owner's past are clearly not altogether on the plot.

If we are to burn all assets of past dictators we should;

a); Eradicate Paris and Berlin

b); Eradicate Rome

c); Eradicate N korea

d); Burn down the RAF museum at Hendon (Luftwaffe
history there)

e): Go to Duxford and burn Black Six

Or, perhaps, wake up, come into the 21st century and recognise that there is such a thing as history and that it is a crime to eradicate it on short-term PC cultural whims.

Wake up, people, this is a boat with a connection to history. How dare anyone imagine they have the right to eradicate such a historical exhibit on the basis of an historical offence, no matter how remotely involved?

Follow on this line of "reasoning" and we'll be demanding the destruction of all the ex Soviet Squre Riggers won't we?

Well, we will , won't we??? Yes, burn the Bolshevik [--word removed--]!

After all, Stalin butchered more than Hitler, didn't he?

So!!!

Let's get a sense of proportion here when we demand the destruction of as part of history!

Neither destroying history nor a corrosive hate across the generations is a constructive theme in a civilised society.

Burning books, history, people or boats is a suer sign that the bad guys have won.

Think about it!

Blueboatman

Visit site

Yup,the smart thing to do would be to restore it and rename it and use it,not try to make a play on one of the preceding owners..
But there again,is it a 'happy' or,indeed a 'lucky' ship or do we believe in such things as stuff and nonsense ?

Seagreen

Visit site

Spot on. Should we tear down the Colisseum just because the Romans used to force people to kill each other for entertainment there? The last time a cultural artifact was deliberately destroyed were the Bamyan Buddhas, blown up by the Taliban...

Most cultures in history have committed an atrocity against another at one time. But civilised societies do not just destroy for the sake of it. Even the Germans, who lost about 25 million of their own people during WW2, keep many Nazi buildings just to serve as a warning to themselves, rather than glorifying the Nazi past.

Past object only have power over you if you give them credence. Its why us British are generally untroubled by being too serious about art and literature.

And Karin II is only just a boat. But it is damn ugly.

Alfie168

Visit site

"After all, Stalin butchered more than Hitler, didn't he?"

Thanks for reminding me. I don't want Stalins damned boat either then.

Happy to clear that one up for you.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Tim

alec

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind at all if you disagree with me. but inane comments like that serve nothing. If you can't or don't want to understand the symbolism attached to that boat, well what's to say really? I suppose that you might think it's ok, to collect and or restore just about anything because it is old or you consider it to be interesting? Do you really not see that for some people, to see that boat restored and swanning about the waters various, would be deeply offensive, and belittling of the suffering that that the Nazis perpetrated in WW2?

I said I wasn't going to say anymore about it, but I felt that for you to suggest that I was in someway as bad as the Nazis for suggesting that the thing would be better destroyed, is deeply offensive to me! With that, I have said all I am going to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual Crusty you cannot accept other points of view in an acceptable way. You have to make a personal point toward the poster in nearly every post you make just because they have a different point of view. This is offensive and not in the true spirit of a forum such as this. If you want to drive people away carry on as you are now .

Sixpence

Visit site

Well said. Personally I don't like Stalins boat so not interested, I do like this boat and have been in contact with the original poster. I do hope others do the same