Navionics Boating App does it have a Night Mode?

Alicatt

Visit site
One thing I cannot find on the Navionics/Garmin Boating app is a night mode, I have had a look at the Navionics/Garmin support and find no mention of it there either, anyone know if it is an option on the app(Android)?

Last night coming back from a day out on the boat we had to wait while a tanker exited a narrow section of the side canal we were going down, it took it a fair bit of time to clear the section and delayed our return to home haven until after dark, which in it's self was not a problem but I did have to turn off the Android tablet I was using for the Boating app as I could not get the screen to dim enough to not destroy my night vision.

requiem

Visit site
Fairly sure it doesn't have one.

However, even with a night mode there's a chance switching away from the app could blast your eyes with brightness. A more comprehensive solution would be to use the phone's accessibility settings to dim the entire thing rather than relying on the app. On Android you'll probably need a 3rd party app to do this, such as this one or this other one.

Other apps do it in different ways; some simply flip the colour scheme, others actually find ways to dim the screen. For example, iSailor simply adjusts the colours: you can tell because everything else (menus, non-app elements like the time and battery state) are unchanged. In contrast SEAiq (sorry, no cheap UK charts) has a dusk mode that's similar, except even the menus go to a more dull green, and a separate night mode that tweaks system settings to get there (i.e. even the status bar with clock, battery, etc goes incredibly dim).

wingcommander

Visit site
This , (tablet dimmed fully and still too bright for nighttime passage) and the fact it was hard to see in direct sunlight was the reason I decided to go dedicated chart plotter route.
Maybe fully dimmed and sunglasses at night ?

Alicatt

Visit site
Thanks All, it's just a temp thing until I get the plotter fitted.

It was something I was looking for for that last 1km of my trip, I had a quick look through the menu on Navionics and did not see anything so I just turned it off. It was not as if I was going to get lost, I was using it as a speed log and for the last stretch the speed limit drops to 5km/h or no wake speed which ever is the lower.
We left a little later than we had planned, but not that late, putt putted to the next marina for lunch and then putt putted back again, got back to the entrance of our home canal and coming up the fairway was a large tanker, while I might have been able to squeeze by, discretion said tie up to the mooring where I was at the wide section and let the fully laden tanker come ahead, that put an extra 15minutes on to our journey, then there was the wait at the rising bridge to let the workers go home from their work, so all in all we got delayed by maybe 30minutes and it was 17:30 and pitch dark by the time we tied up.

A round trip of 41km and a quite pleasant first trip on our boat, now it's time to winterise it.

This , (tablet dimmed fully and still too bright for nighttime passage) and the fact it was hard to see in direct sunlight was the reason I decided to go dedicated chart plotter route.
Maybe fully dimmed and sunglasses at night ?
I have a plotter, Echomap 95SV UHD, not fitted it yet, will be doing that over the winter as we tidy up the boat for next season.

Nyrstar1.jpgNyrstar2.jpg
Bocholt-Herentals1.jpgMeerpaal1.jpg

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
If you take the 'android car stereo' route, there is a wire which dims the display, intended for when the headlights are on.

Why do you need Navionics to drive down a canal?
Not really needed but it is handy to know where I have to turn off and to keep an eye on the speed as there is an 8km/h sog speed limit on the canal.

You know how many canals and rivers are here? Why do you need a Sat nav in the car just to go down the M6?

Just our little section of the inland waterways
CanalkaartB.jpg
While it was a short route, getting back in time was essential and Navionics helped in showing when we were going to be at the opening bridge as it stops operation at 17:00 local time. It was close! :)

There is a nice web site that has all the waterways in Belgium on it, the above was taken from it VisuRIS - Portal
This was our booked trip:
Kaart1.jpg

Last edited:

requiem

Visit site
Fairly sure it doesn't have one.

Update: I just got a note that a few days ago Navionics added a night mode to their app.

This is a simple three-way auto / day / night switch in the map options, and functions by flipping the colour scheme to a darker palette. The menus adjust based on your phone settings (e.g. day/night mode), and the charts will do the same if the setting is left to "auto".

Last edited:

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
One thing I cannot find on the Navionics/Garmin Boating app is a night mode, I have had a look at the Navionics/Garmin support and find no mention of it there either, anyone know if it is an option on the app(Android)?

Last night coming back from a day out on the boat we had to wait while a tanker exited a narrow section of the side canal we were going down, it took it a fair bit of time to clear the section and delayed our return to home haven until after dark, which in it's self was not a problem but I did have to turn off the Android tablet I was using for the Boating app as I could not get the screen to dim enough to not destroy my night vision.
Deleted.

Alicatt

Visit site
Yes, night mode - help article here,

Navionics Boating: Night Mode | Garmin Support

Certainly in android 14 you can switch on dark theme & adaptive brightness in display settings.
Yes!
Have not used the Boating App for a while, took the opportunity to update it yesterday and oh joy it came up with a message saying it had the night mode added to the settings.
My tablet is originally Android 10 :)

On another note over here the people in the yacht club use a paid app called Waterkarten which covers Holland, Germany, Belgium, France, and the UK for inland waterways, works great on the Android tablet and iPhone but leaves a bit to be desired on the PC, well it does have problems on my PC in loading the charts either fetching them from the interwebs or if you have downloaded them for offline use.
https://www.promanent.com/waterkaart/default.asp
It has English as well as Dutch, French and German