Navigation

G

I'm a bit new to boating and want to complete a dayskipper course. Unfortunately my spare time is very limited, does anyone know of any organisations offering this course (or similar) as a correspondence course?

Any replies will be apprecaited.

Thanks.

G

I believe the web site 'www.nmcs.u-net.com', may be able to help you.
They offer a host of Navigation courses and RYA courses; for distance learning. good luck.
Steve Lamb

andrewhopkins

Visit site
RYA

Check out the RYA site, i think it's RYA.org uk where they list approved places.

I did mine 3-4 years ago at a local night school. It was only 2-3 hours once a week in the evening. Much better with a teacher and colleagues there to help. Good excuse for a beer afterwards too!!

yachtcharisma

Visit site
Are you sure you want to do the THEORY course? The route I took, which I would thoroughly recommend, was to mug up on the theory in my own time using the Langley-Price and Ouvrey "Day Skipper" book, and then to go and spend a week on a practical course. If you're going to do any course, I'd recommend the practical one as probably more fun, and also good at reinforcing the theory that you've learnt beforehand. Having the theory exam is not a requirement to do a practical course. You also don't need to feel that you can't do the practical until you've got lots of sailing experience - the bulk of my practical experience before the course was a couple of years of singlehanded dinghy cruising on tidal waters.

If you really want to do the theory exam, I seem to remember that you may be able to get the paper sent from the RYA then do it with a friend to "invigilate" and send it back.

You might also be interested in one lecturer's slides, which are helpfully on the web at http://www.murorum.demon.co.uk/sailing/ - but I'd recommend the book as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Patrick

==================
Sailing a Corribee
vzone.virgin.net/patrick.fox
==================