Navigating the upper reaches of the Fowey River

TheOldCodger

Visit site
Most interested to hear of owners experiences in navigating the Fowey River. I have a 10metre lifting keel gaffer - lifted draft 0.5m. Am keen to explore upper reaches of the river in mid July ( under motor). I've sailed to Fowey a few times, but never been higher than the Clay ship berths - and that was in a dinghy! Any stories most appreciated.

jdc

Visit site
I row (scull) out of Golant a few times a week and so explore the upper reaches quite a bit. There is some water - 0.5m or more - over most of the length of the river and in many of the creeks. If you can dry out upright then there's loads to do. Some suggestions:

1. Up past Golant. At Golant there's not much space to anchor but a couple of 100m upstream near the mouth of the Lerryn River there's always a meter or more mind stream clear of the moorings. Dinghy ride to the Fisherman's Arms at Golant. The Pill at Golant can be entered above 1/2 tide. There's also a place (with café) which hires SUPs and kayaks.

2. Into Pontpill (creek running E opposite and a little downstream of Golant. Lots of sand-banks but navigable to the bridge. Perfect shelter and scenic. Use Google earth to look for the position of the channel and mud banks! Debris (sunken houseboats) close to both banks.

3. To Lerryn. Good pub also. Not a lot of water in mid stream off the village but soft mud and loads of space to anchor. Watch out for the rocks about 1/2 way up on the port side (N side) when going up to Lerryn.

4. Past the timbered boathouse on the W bank above Golant (Queen Victoria's son Prince Edward used this boathouse as a 'lurve pad' for the entertainment of visiting mistreses - or so local legend has it). Then on to St Winnow where there's a church on the E bank and a good boatyard. Occasional spherical orange buoys mark the best water, which meanders around (mostly to the E bank to start with but then cuts across diagonally to near the railway on the W bank just before St Winnow).

About 200m above St Winnow there's an electricity cable across the river, but quite high (18m? Don't rely on me, you MUST look it up: it clears my ears in a single scull but more than that I can't guarantee). Around here there are pools with 2m+ at LWS, (and the best water used to be marked with bamboo perches but they aren't there this year) but you can proceed upstream at least as far as 'the bends' 600m below Lostwithiel. It's possible to creep up to Lostwithiel on the tide but there is a railway bridge and a low cable some 200m below the town which will likely stop you.

Very scenic and peaceful - enjoy!

Last edited:

TheOldCodger

Visit site
Jdc that is so very helpful thank you. I have family staying at Pont Pill for a week in second week July. They are driving to Cornwall while I sail. The plan then is to do a bit of upper reach exploration while they are there, before I sail back East.
What sort of stand is there around HW in the upper areas. I don’t plan to stay upstream rather go up on the flood , and return before the water goes!
One of my problems is going to be tide times which are a bit antisocial in the week 9-15 July.
You have given some very helpful pointers for which I am grateful. Toc

Nosher

Visit site
Jdc that is so very helpful thank you. I have family staying at Pont Pill for a week in second week July. They are driving to Cornwall while I sail. The plan then is to do a bit of upper reach exploration while they are there, before I sail back East.
What sort of stand is there around HW in the upper areas. I don’t plan to stay upstream rather go up on the flood , and return before the water goes!
One of my problems is going to be tide times which are a bit antisocial in the week 9-15 July.
You have given some very helpful pointers for which I am grateful. Toc

JDC has given you all the interesting bits really, but just a clarification - it's Penpol Creek opposite Golant, with the derelict boats in it. Not much up there but pretty at HW. Pont Pill (or Pont Creek) is much further downstream, an offshoot of the main harbour on the Polruan side. Might save some confusion with your relatives!

Also, as well as having a good boatyard, St Winnow is also home to the lovely Angie who will flog you a fabulous home made lamb burger or a cream tea from her caravan, and you can have a look around the farm's "tractor museum" whilst you wait. It's a great spot, and there's a lovely walk around the point to Lerryn for a pint in the Ship.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Many years ago (1970(I think)) I took a Debutante (yacht!) as far as the river up to Lostwithiel and, running out of water, dried out a short way from the wider estuary. At 0600 or so a banging on the hull awoke us. It was the gamekeeper who told us, in no uncertain terms, to leave as soon as the tide served! You have been warned!

pugwash94

Visit site
Many years ago (1970(I think)) I took a Debutante (yacht!) as far as the river up to Lostwithiel and, running out of water, dried out a short way from the wider estuary. At 0600 or so a banging on the hull awoke us. It was the gamekeeper who told us, in no uncertain terms, to leave as soon as the tide served! You have been warned!
The water is tidal there, so you have a right of navigation. I think it is tidal to Lostwithiel so the gamekeeper was trying it on!

Eygthene

Visit site
We overwinter at St Winnow boat yard, so we take our 1.5m fin keeled boat up and down at the start and end of each season. We can follow the channel (unmarked) up as far as St Winnow for 1 1/2 hours either side of HW a few days either side of springs. As jdc says, Google Earth shows the channel.

TheOldCodger

Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and thoughts. The wretched UK weather has interrupted westbound sailing plans for this week - so trip postponed til a later date. Will bear all comments in mind -