Nav Tablet Mount

garymalmgren

Visit site
I use a tablet mounted in a frame on the table.
Takes no time to go below and check Nav app and chart.
I left the tablet on the table (without the frame) and it flew off and hit the floor.
Big distortion in one corner and a black screen.
Original mounting system.
20776402.jpg

So I bought another tablet and loaded up the charts.
After 6 months tried the old broken tablet again, just for fun and it started. Now I have two tablets.
I can't use a normal swing out holder in the companionway, because I already have a swing out on the portside for the sounder and speed log.
So, I came up with a system where I can mount the Tablet on the (inner) port, centre and starboard sides of the companionway.
The frame has a "male" tapered cleat and the companionway has 3 "female" cleat receivers.
There is a piece of cork as a damper.

20776404.jpg

Here is the frame mounted on the port side. It can rotate to face any way,

20776406.jpg

Starboard with hatch closed

20776408.jpg

Port facing inside

20776410.jpg

Port folded up position

20776412.jpg

Center with hatch open
Of course in the sunlight you can't see a thing

gary

20776645.jpg

Supertramp

Visit site
Nice work.

I had something similar made out of acrylic and bent to give a wide footing and hold the tablet secure. That managed to get airborne in some hairy conditions, breaking the acrylic frame but not the tablet. So the winter job was to make a new frame from old teak with some eyes to secure it if necessary. It lives under the sprayhood when sailing and doesn't normally need securing in place.

I then decided to get a new, larger tablet for inside and am making a similar wood frame to protect it. It will live at the inside helm and can be secured for the next hairy tide race. Slots to allow access to buttons and charging.
Screenshot_20240212_124127_Gallery.jpg

bluerm166

Visit site
Neat but you will need a hood to protect them and the companionway from rain/spray.Is it off for the winter ?

Supertramp

Visit site
It's useful to able to check without going below, even if you have to move in the cockpit.

On mine the outside helm is under the sprayhood (and the tablet is waterproof). The inside helm already has a plotter but I want to see UKHO charts alongside the plotter/Navionics/paper info. I set the display timeout to 30 mins so repeated touching the screen is not needed.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site