Nav data on your phone?

Refueler

Visit site
Neither do I. The fact that it is a closed standard held by a nasty litigious organisation is 1970's dinosaur thinking. It's also far too slow for modern electronics and other proprietary faster ethernet based network standards are needed, like Raynet.

I have gear with NMEA2000 and I ditched using it for very simple reason ... why would I want to have terminating resistors ??? Thought they went out with co-ax based networks !!

Onwa seem to be looking into the future with its next generation network setups .... but thats not issue here ... guy wants to get info on his phone ...

Refueler

Visit site
From what he says he has an i60 log and wind which are connected to each other and nothing else. From Raymarine's current spec here...

i60 Instrument Displays | Raymarine

they have 2 SeatalkNG connections and nothing else. Maybe he has older ones which do have Seatalk, but the OP can confirm that. Does the KP-708A connect to NMEA2000?

Interesting as the search online earlier gave 0183 etc. for the i60 .... now searching comes up as you say ST NG ..... If I find the link again - I'll post it just for interest.

No ... KP-708A does not have 2000 ....

PaulRainbow

Visit site
i60 specs I have online are NMEA 0183 .... Seatalk 1 and 2 .... NMEA 2000 ....... all available on it.

i60 only has a pair of STNG connectors and connectors for the transducers, nothing else, never did have.

Apart from some MFDs, almost nothing Raymarine has NMEA 2000

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I have gear with NMEA2000 and I ditched using it for very simple reason ... why would I want to have terminating resistors ??? Thought they went out with co-ax based networks !!
NMEA 2000 may not be the perfect networking hardware by modern standards, but neither is wifi or wired ethernet.

Probably lots of sailors who are geeks will prefer ethernet (whether wifi or wired) because they're familiar with it, but there's a lot of sense to the topology of NMEA 2000's backbone. It's just that this is a standard that is decades old - the marine electronics industry adopted it from the industrial automation industry - and has never been updated.

I'd rather not derail OP's thread any further, but there are pros and cons to each.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I often sleep alone on my boat and the two tools I like best are the anchor watch app on my phone (loads of free ones on Android - try a bunch of them and pick whichever you prefer) and having the chartplotter mirrored to a tablet.

Having dropped the anchor, I start a new track on the chartplotter, in a bright colour such as pink or red. The track from the anchor is shown as the boat drifts to the full length of the chain and then you can see that the anchor has set because a "scribble" starts to form on the screen, showing the beginnings of a "banana" or part-circle. The circle around the anchor gets more defined through the night (and following days, as applicable).

Illustration from an older model of plotter which I found on another forum:

rpUCCy4.jpg

As I said, this is obviously an older model of Garmin plotter, but the circle shapes look the same on any plotter, and a modern plotter can be mirrored to a tablet, so just I just keep the tablet in my berth with me and can check it regularly if I'm having trouble sleeping or awake in the middle of the night.

I tend to set the alarm on the anchor watch quite short, so that I'm woken by it and have to reset it if the wind switches 180°. But you can decide for yourself at what distance to set it, depending on the anchorage and your own judgement.

Since you say your Raymarine i60 is quite new, I think it should be able to output SeatalkNG / NMEA 2000, which would presumably feed depth and wind speed into the chartplotter (if you don't have this already). The chartplotter will be able to display the depth and windspeed data too - depth is shown on the right hand side of the screen below; on the B&G Vulcan chart plotters the whole row on the right side is programmable, and you can select whatever data you like for each box.

P6WDrow.jpg

The basic set of concerns that you're trying to address, @Kelpie, is a cat that can be skinned in a number of different ways - no particular way is absolutely the "best", just whatever works for you. Networking OpenCPN is much easier for people who already know what an IP address is, which is knowledge some on this forum (perhaps many of us) take for granted. More suggestions might be possible if we knew what other nav hardware you have onboard - do you have a tablet already? Some AIS units have wifi built in, etc etc.

Sorry if my reply labours things you already know - I'm just trying to give a complete explanation of what I mean. Obviously I recognise your username on the forum, but I cannot recollect how technical you are or how much anchoring you do.

Last edited:

jwfrary

Visit site
Raymarine i60
For the i60s which are nmea 2000, the most user friendly solution is probobly the yacht devices one.

Here's an amazon link to the one I mean, theres two versions, you can have either the N2k connector or the seatalk NG one depending on how your systems set up!

Yacht Devices Wi-Fi Gateway for NMEA2000 / SeaTalk NG YDWG-02 https://amzn.eu/d/0dtWd2o

Kelpie

Visit site
Dredging up this again. Thanks for everybody's responses, and apologies for not actually acting on any of the information. I've been rather busy with other boat jobs etc.

I'll admit I'm struggling a bit to understand the basic principles of networking instruments. And I'm not entirely aware of what I've already got installed.

So, to the best of my knowledge, I have:
-Onwa KP-708A plotter/AIS, not connected to anything else, apparently is 0183 compatible.
-Lowrance HDS5m plotter, not connected to anything, compatible with 0183 and 2000. I no longer have charting for this so it's just used for SOG/COG. Day to day navigation is with Navionics on phones.
-Raymarine wind, speed/temp, depth, and autopilot instruments. I think these may be i50/60 and therefore possibly 2k only. But really not sure. At present the wind and speed are connected to each other, but that's all.

My wishlist would include:
- better AIS features. The Onwa is very basic in this regard, the alarm function is basically useless because it doesn't tell you which vessel is on a close CPA, nor whether the pass will be ahead or behind.
- AIS at the helm would be nice. At present is displayed on the Onwa at the chart table.
- Wind info at the chart table. On phone too would be nice.

My thoughts are that the obvious thing is to get all of the data on to wifi and just use phones, maybe a cheap tablet at the chart table for 'always on' wind info.

I really don't have a clue what I'm doing though!

GHA

Visit site
- better AIS features. The Onwa is very basic in this regard, the alarm function is basically useless because it doesn't tell you which vessel is on a close CPA, nor whether the pass will be ahead or behind.
That's a plus for data over wifi, with an android tablet/laptop/raspberry pi running opencpn you have probably as good an ais display as there is available. And cruising satellite images as charts can be gold dust, opencpn makes this easy as well.
Getting the data to the tablet might be of a longer reply ?
(raspberry pi of course ?)

Refueler

Visit site
Dredging up this again. Thanks for everybody's responses, and apologies for not actually acting on any of the information. I've been rather busy with other boat jobs etc.

I'll admit I'm struggling a bit to understand the basic principles of networking instruments. And I'm not entirely aware of what I've already got installed.

So, to the best of my knowledge, I have:
-Onwa KP-708A plotter/AIS, not connected to anything else, apparently is 0183 compatible.
Yes the Onwa is 0183 format to send out and receive in. As to data out - see my suggestion at end.
-Lowrance HDS5m plotter, not connected to anything, compatible with 0183 and 2000. I no longer have charting for this so it's just used for SOG/COG. Day to day navigation is with Navionics on phones.
Shame as the old Lowrance Mapsource Charting was actually good enough - I still have both Europe SD cards and use my 3500 plotter as my day boats system. I actually also created own charts for inland river sections. But anyway - being N2K - why not use the Lowrance as the display of your other N2K data .. wind .. speed ... depth ... etc. ? Basically turn it into your Multi Function Display ?

-Raymarine wind, speed/temp, depth, and autopilot instruments. I think these may be i50/60 and therefore possibly 2k only. But really not sure. At present the wind and speed are connected to each other, but that's all.
See Lowrance suggestion .....

Interesting ... my KP39A - not noticed that as I tend to determine by my observation of screen. But this can be improved possibly by the network unit I will suggest at end .... basically all data sent to your Phone or to an OpenCPN setup ...
- AIS at the helm would be nice. At present is displayed on the Onwa at the chart table.
Easily solved by the unit I will suggest
Same solution as previous ...

My thoughts are that the obvious thing is to get all of the data on to wifi and just use phones, maybe a cheap tablet at the chart table for 'always on' wind info.

Correct. You can buy so-called Marine items at chandlery ..... be prepared to mortgage wallet. Or you can buy a unit designed BY A BOAT OWNER for his own use .... There is one limitation though - to keep costs down, N2K is not connectable to the unit. It requires a Licence fee to implement the N2K Firmware.

Nmea4Wifi - Introduction

This unit provides simple and easily setup integration of multiple 0183 data streams as well as Seatalk1. It outputs as 0183, WiFi and USB ... giving you options as to how you connect to remote displays. It also can re-transmit any WiFi detected in a marina or wherever you are - boosting its signal.
Of course there are other solutions - some with N2K included - but they don't cost about 50 quid ...

With the unit sending out Data via WiFi - you can have your Phones Navionics using the AIS data and GPS if you want. It can also feed an Tablet or small notebook computer for OpenCPN or other charting prog. that has AIS as well as plotting.

I really don't have a clue what I'm doing though!

The RED additions are purely MY thoughts on the subject .... others will suggest alternatives.

Yes the Onwa is 0183 format to send out and receive in. As to data out - see my suggestion at end.
Shame as the old Lowrance Mapsource Charting was actually good enough - I still have both Europe SD cards and use my 3500 plotter as my day boats system. I actually also created own charts for inland river sections. But anyway - being N2K - why not use the Lowrance as the display of your other N2K data .. wind .. speed ... depth ... etc. ? Basically turn it into your Multi Function Display ?
See Lowrance suggestion .....

Interesting ... my KP39A - not noticed that as I tend to determine by my observation of screen. But this can be improved possibly by the network unit I will suggest at end .... basically all data sent to your Phone or to an OpenCPN setup ...
Easily solved by the unit I will suggest
Same solution as previous ...

Correct. You can buy so-called Marine items at chandlery ..... be prepared to mortgage wallet. Or you can buy a unit designed BY A BOAT OWNER for his own use .... There is one limitation though - to keep costs down, N2K is not connectable to the unit. It requires a Licence fee to implement the N2K Firmware.

Nmea4Wifi - Introduction

This unit provides simple and easily setup integration of multiple 0183 data streams as well as Seatalk1. It outputs as 0183, WiFi and USB ... giving you options as to how you connect to remote displays. It also can re-transmit any WiFi detected in a marina or wherever you are - boosting its signal.
Of course there are other solutions - some with N2K included - but they don't cost about 50 quid ...

With the unit sending out Data via WiFi - you can have your Phones Navionics using the AIS data and GPS if you want. It can also feed an Tablet or small notebook computer for OpenCPN or other charting prog. that has AIS as well as plotting.

TSB240

Visit site
The Onwa is basically useless because it doesn't tell you which vessel is on a close CPA, nor whether the pass will be ahead or behind.
- AIS at the helm would be nice. At present is displayed on the Onwa at the chart
[/QUOTE]
Interesting that you are not a fan of the Onwa collision avoidance alarm or display.

I used to own a Matsutec HP 33A which I found just about adequate and was probably made in the same factory as the Onwa! It did display alarms and highlighted which vessel was of concern and which were not.

This was mounted in the cockpit and hard wired to a dedicated windows mini pc at the chart table running open cpn.
My wife loved the 24 inch display of open cpn on bad foggy trips for best viewing of all ais contacts and could easily tell me if we were going infront or behind!
Open CPN still has probabiy the best anticollision display not bettered by any commercial offering.
It was designed by peeps that actually use their ais in anger rather than as a tool to show their wife where they are!

If I was in your position I would use the data from your Onwa on either a phone or tablet running open cpn in your cockpit.
This can simply and cheaply be achieved by purchasing an nmea to wifi converter and downloading and payimg a small sum for open cpn for android off playstore. (Don't touch the free download).

This should give you the benefits of Open CPNs anticollision warnings and display without huge additional expense.

Seems to be some penny-pinching if Onwa does not have built in wifi option.