National Single Handed Sailing Assn.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Should there be one do you think ?
Perhaps broken down to regional sections ?

With perhaps a 2 week annual cruise to kick things off.

srm

Visit site
Should there be one do you think ?
Perhaps broken down to regional sections ?

With perhaps a 2 week annual cruise to kick things off.

Surely what you suggest already exists. They call it "The Jester Sailing Challenge".

I prefer to sail as / when / where I want to, the thought of even the minimum amount of organisation needed by the Jesters is a bit off putting.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
In my advancing years, it's nice sailing in company with other single handers. A place is chosen, you put whatever sail up you want and arrive when you want. If you want to, you can perhaps raft up with someone , or pick a berth in a marina. You can perhaps go ashore in the evening with others or just yarn. This is just local sailing with an overnight or two. I come across quite a few single handers who like the format but don't know other single handers in the area they sail in. Many single handers live on their own for various reasons. Some have lost their partner or he/she is not well enough to sail. So that's the sort of thing I had in mind

Mister E

Visit site
Snow goose sorry for helping to spoil your thread.
The club I have sailed with just put a destination with no start or arrival time. So nice and informal.

ylop

Visit site
In my advancing years, it's nice sailing in company with other single handers. A place is chosen, you put whatever sail up you want and arrive when you want. If you want to, you can perhaps raft up with someone , or pick a berth in a marina. You can perhaps go ashore in the evening with others or just yarn. This is just local sailing with an overnight or two. I come across quite a few single handers who like the format but don't know other single handers in the area they sail in. Many single handers live on their own for various reasons. Some have lost their partner or he/she is not well enough to sail. So that's the sort of thing I had in mind
Is that not just a "club"? If you enjoy the social side, why would you narrow your options to do it only with single-handers (many of whom may be less good at / enthused by the social side?). Or was it really a dating agency you were looking for?

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I'm sorry, I should not be so quick to snark. I'm not very sociable myself but from your later post Snowgoose I do see how a (nongeographical) association of sociable solo sailors could have a place for some people. A different one from general clubs which often seem focused on other approaches to sailing. Still not sure it would be for me.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Or was it really a dating agency you were looking for?
At my age, the only dating interest women would have of me would be carbon dating.

I don't think a sailing club can cast a wide enough area unfortunately. Perhaps some kind of regional internet posting board might work . Peeps could perhaps post an intention after consulting weather forecasts some days before.