Nation flag - common practice

mcframe

Visit site
19 replies and nobody has yet quoted MSA95!

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/ukpga_19950021_en_1

Three points:
(1) British ships are *entitled* to fly (some say "wear") the Red Ensign (& sometimes blue/defaced/white)
(2) Flying other national colours is a no-no - unless ruse de guerre under Geneva Convention 37.2
(3) There are a few occasions when it is *required* to fly the proper colours.

The RYA book "Flag Etiquette & Visual Signals" might be regarded as definitive - it's worth getting a copy for the nearest there is to a UK "official" view.

In practice, some of us (sewn, not printed ensigns) like to show a bit of colour, while complying with convention:

EnsignAndHouseFlag.jpg

But, on port tack, with my friend downwind and no courtesy flag, I promoted it to starboard crosstrees:

scots.jpg

Other flags are hoisted after & struck before national ensign, of course.

Litotes

Visit site
But, what is the common practice?

Common practice, in my experience, is as follows.

Almost all yachts fly ensigns, although they are not require to do so in home waters. Most use the red ensign, which is the "default" and correct ensign for any British ship or boat.

Some clubs and associations have been granted the right to use certain distinctive ensigns. These are specific to the person, not the boat. Those flying such ensigns are also required to fly the burgee of the club that gave them that right and most do.

The distinctive ensigns may be red, defaced on the fly with the club badge; blue, defaced on the fly with the club badge; blue, undefaced or, in the case of one club, the Royal Yacht Squadron, the white ensign used by the Royal Navy. The Royal Airforce yacht club also has a distinctive light blue ensign. the undefaced blue ensigns are usually associated with naval yacht clubs, although not exclusively.

In most cases, the right to use the distinctive ensign was granted to clubs whose members formed the backbone of coastal forces during two world wars, or for services to seamanship in general (e.g. The Cruising Association, the Little Ship Club) The most common special ensign is the blue, which is the ensigns of the naval auxiliary and reserve forces and other government services. If you readers are interested - the origin of the red, white and blue ensigns was in the different squadrons of the Royal Navy. Eventually, the different colours were allocated for different uses.

Most people leave their ensigns up all night. Others lower them at night (as I do, when I have one on the staff - to save on wear and tear)

Most foreign yachts fly a courtesy flag at the starboard spreader. Usually this is the red ensign. Occasionally it is the union flag, which is normally seen on ships only as a "jack" - a flag flown at the bow of a warship, on the "jackstaff". Most Britsh yachts abroad also follow the same custom.

It is more and more common for British yachts to fly a courtsey flag (not an Ensign) when visiting other nations of the United kingdom and Cornwall. A few do also fly the EU flag, usually on the port spreader. Foreign yachts who do the same (normally with a red ensign at the starboard spreader and a local flag below it, or at the port spreader) are generally appreciated.

National flags of different nations within the union are beginning to appear, as shown in this thread - expressing the national identity of individual owners and skippers. They are not legal ensigns, but I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble as a result of flying them.

Hope that helps.

reginaldon

Visit site
When I first went to sea before WW2, the courtesy ensign was unknown, and I have no idea when it started. Certainly I never saw one anywhere in the fifties.
In the sixties I first saw it mentioned that it was "approved" because other nations did it, and the courtesy ensign should be flown from the foremasthead.
Yachts started the habit later, and because the masthead was the place for the club burgee, they hoisted the courtesy ensign from the starboard cross-trees. Now, hardly anyone except the RCC flu the burgee from the masthead (in fact hardly anyone flies a burgee anyway.
When I first went yottin' in the forties, everybody in the anchorage hauled down ensign and burgee at sunset. I think they liked playing at "navy".
As yottin spread to oi polloi, there was a sort of reverse snobbery and some gloried in provoking the establishment. Nowadays, there is really no flag etiquette left except in Lymington.
The Royal Navy hoisted "colours" at 0800 or in winter in high latitudes at sunrise, and lowered ensign at sunset or 2100, which ever was the earlier.
The Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club (aka the Royal Nobs and snobs, used to fire a gun at sunset and the club boatman lowered the ensign at the club house.
What do I do in my boat?
I fly the ensign from a staff at the stern. Sometimes I remember to lower it, often I forget. I do not worry.The burgee is at the mainmast head. The courtesy ensign is at the fore.
NB some countries will fine a visiting yacht if they do not fly a courtesy ensign properly, which begs the thought :: what is courtesy?
The important thing is enjoy sailing, and enjoy having a tot with other yotties.

Just seen your bio Binch - didn't think there were any of my contempories on board. You've had a very interesting life - so far. Well done! My RN service was merely NS from Jan. '49