NASA Clipper Wind Connections

adpmijs1

Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've just bought a second-hand Nasa Wind unit with masthead unit and display. However, it's missing the cable (presumably still in the seller's mast!), so all I have is a head unit with about 300mm of cable with 4 wires (red white blue black) + earth sticking out....and a 5 pin din plug connected to the display unit.

Anyone happen to know which colour goes to which pin please?

Many thanks,
Andy

steviewhitts

Visit site
Andy,
Welcome to the forums.
NASA have always been very helpful to me but if you dont get any luck with them post again or PM me and I'll see if I can dig out the wiring diagram that came with mine.
Steve

Strathglass

Visit site
Is your wind system an older version or is it the later one with NMEA? You will need to know before you phone NASA.

I had to replace the whole mast top bit and NASA gave me all the info on the phone (for the NON NMEA version)

The colors of the internal leads are not given in the handbooks.

Iain

Hardley

Visit site
You can buy extension cable,fro Nasa with connectors each end, you could use one connector end to connect to display head.
You could cut off the other connector and make a removable connection at the mast head, this was recommended on this forum a couple of years ago and I am doing that just now, if you want to go down that route I have the instructions that were posted on the forum, that I could email to you.

adpmijs1

Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all your advice.

I spoke to NASA yesterday and they were very helpful and friendly. They have offered to refit a 20m length of cable directly into the masthead unit and also test it at the same time for an extra £10 on top of the price of the replacement cable which doesn't sound too bad, so I'll probably go for that.

Hardley, if you could email me the instructions anyway, that would be great for future reference. Thanks.

Regarding the pinouts, NASA supplied me with the following info which I'll also post here for reference:

Looking at outer connections of masthead DIN socket:

9 '0' clock - RED
10-30 - BLUE
12 '0' clock - SCREEN
1-30 - BLACK
3 '0' clock - WHITE

Regards,
Andy

andy@adpm.com

Ru88ell

Visit site
Bump...

I've just spoken to NASA Marine regarding my MHU not working. I wanted to get the meter out and check the wiring and they gave me the following info:-

Screen is negative - use for neg probe
Red is power supply and should show 5v
Black varies between 1v and 4v
Blue varies between 1v and 4v
White pulses, but you won't be able to read anything on a meter.